PDA

View Full Version : CMP Kershaw results

dspillrat
08-15-2004, 10:54 AM
Looking for results/stories from CMP....Had to be interesting with the hit and miss rain.

My trailer is still loaded, with car, My up til now dependable Duramax's water broke at the BP station getting my 93 octane for the weekend. Water pouring from reserve tank tube. digusting to thrash all week to get car finished, then be stranded by tow vehicle.

david spillman

Ron Earp
08-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Any news? How did the different cars do, which won?

JeffYoung
08-16-2004, 11:26 AM
Just got back in town. A quick report.

Saturday was, get this, BEAUTIFUL. About 75 degress and sunny by the time we (ITS/ITA/IT7) ran at 4 or so. Fields were thinned a bit becaus of the storm, but I still think we had 24 starters or so.

First five in S were Thompson (RX7), Echerich (RX7), Bryson (Miata), Stubbs (BMW), Newberry (240sx) I think for qual. Pole was a 52 or 53, I can't remember.

David, Steve, fastest Z was Bob Pharr at 57. Jay Miller and I were at 59.

Had a good race on Saturday between Pharr, Miller and me mid-pack. Didn't see the front obvoisly, but I think finish order was Thompson, Stubbs, Newberry, Echerich, Bryson (might be wrong).

In IT7, Ricky Thompason beat Dobson by a nose at the line. Great race.

Sunday, I had brake problems and lost all front brakes in qual. Had to park it. That sucked, but also was neat because I got to watch the race.

Stubbs, Thompson and Newberry put on absolutely the BEST show I have seen in an IT race at the front. They were separated by no more than a car length or two the entire race (1-2-3). Thompson on the poll, Stubbs dragged him at the start (we got the green at 9 before the Kink this weekend). Stubbs stayed in front almost the entire race (turning 54s I think). Newberry turned the fastest lap at a 53 and came from 5 on the grid to third quickly, and briefly got around Thompson for second.

Last lap Thompson came through the kink in front of stubbs, must have got him on the back side, with Newberry right on their bumpers. Stubbs went under him in 14 (?) right before the frontstretch and dragged him to the line. I thought Kent won by T&S said otherwise, adn Stubbs got the checkers.

David, Steve, missed having you guys.

Jeff

BlueStreak
08-24-2004, 03:04 PM
CMP ended up being my first event in a year after getting the RX3 fixed. By the end of Sunday, I was COMPLETELY out of tire. As we came into 9 at the end, the ITS leaders were coming by to lap me. The BMW got the "point by" from me, but the RX-7 (Kent Thompson?) got a surprise after the BMW popped out to pass me. I was not going nearly as fast as he thought I was. What happened next can only be appreciated by in-car video from Kent. How he managed to do what he did I'm not sure, but it was an incredible thing to watch from my RX3. My in-car had run out of tape 2 laps earlier, so I don't have it. If anyone knows how to get a hold of Kent, fire me an email at [email protected]. I would pay money for a copy of his in-car as he went by me. You had to be there to appreciate it. Spectacular drive Kent. I still can't believe it.

Really nice drive by Stubbs, Thompson, and Newberry.

later
Eddie
RX-3 #91 - now accepting donations for tires

Mike Spencer
08-24-2004, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by BlueStreak:
...If anyone knows how to get a hold of Kent, fire me an email at [email protected]. I would pay money for a copy of his in-car as he went by me. You had to be there to appreciate it. Spectacular drive Kent. I still can't believe it...

First of all, NO PROMISES!

But.... I have access to a BUNCH of webspace. If there is enough interest (and you guys are patient with me http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif ) I would be willing to ATTEMPT to set up something similar to the http://www.specmiatavideos.com website for IT. By "enough interest", I don't mean guys who want to watch it. I mean parties who are willing to send video files.

I will start by posting a copy of this in the website section as well.

Expect an update after I figure out if this is doable.

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 #60
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)