PDA

View Full Version : CCPS at VIR

Parrish57
08-09-2004, 05:44 PM
Thanks to everyone for a fun and safe weekend at VIR! I really enjoyed the series this year. It was the first time that I ever made a run at any championship. I came up one position short but went out trying! Congratulations to Carl Tucker and Rick Harbaugh on the ITS championship.

For those who have'nt looked at the Carolina Cup Pro Series here's the scoop:
It's a four race series VIR, CMP, Lowes, VIR. 45 minute race with a 2 minute mandatory pit stop.
The series is still building momentum so the competition is not as brutal as Pro IT.
Any IT drivers looking for good seat time and a good chance of being competitive should look into next years chase.

Steve Parrish 57 ITS
1970 Datsun 240Z

JeffYoung
08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
Steve! Shhhhhh...we get more ITS guys in the series, and no more 3rd place finishes for me.

Seriously, Steve is correct. CCPS is a great series. 45 minute races which for me is a perfect balance between a SARRC sprint (a bit too short) and an ECR (at 1 and 1/2 hours a bit long for me, and my car). We've had some big fields this year, 70 or so cars at VIR in March.

Come on out next year, and congratulations to Rick/Carl and Steve/Bryan for a good race at the front this year. Maybe next, I'll be a bit closer to it.

manny
08-15-2004, 07:33 PM
does that include ITB cars? i just moved here to charlotte from tampa and that series sounds like fun.i do still love running the 1 and 1/2 enduro's at daytona. would love to try and run that series next year.thanks

murphyd
08-18-2004, 10:07 AM
The Carolina Cup Pro Series is open to all IT, SM, SS and SRF's. The series has been a big success and as mentioned is a great compromise between the sprint races and the ECR's. One thing I would like to remind you guys of is that points are accumalated to a team not a driver. Therefore if you have a car you can run it yourself, bring in a hired gun or share the car with a different driver every race to help with the expenses. We try to schedule all of the events with an ECR weekend to allow all of these teams to participate. Some people seem to think that were trying to take drivers away from the other series. We see our series benefiting the other series (and vice versa) not to mention the benefits to the regions. Take the March VIR event for example, approx. 70 enties in the CCPS as well as the ECR. Some regions are realizing that with proper scheduling, a driver can compete in 3 races in 1 weekend. If you're traveling 6+ hrs to a track, wouldn't that be a nice option?! You do not have to be a North Carolina or Central Carolina region member, to participate all are welcome. It's a great way for Sarrc racers to get a little more track time. During the required 2 minute pitstop you can make quick adjustments to the car to help your chances. Plus you have the oppurtunity to make a little money and win a few contingency prizes. Remember, the more cars per class, the higher the winnings. If you need more info check out our web site www.carolinacupproseries.com (http://www.carolinacupproseries.com) Come out and join us in 04-05.

------------------
David Murphy
Murphy Motorsports

Tom Donnelly
08-18-2004, 10:43 AM
Steve,
What are you running in your 204z's diff at CMP? I ran a 3.7 and haven't tried a 3.9 there yet. The 3.7 kept me shifting back and forth from 2nd to 3rd and hitting the rev limiter more than I wanted.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Donnelly (edited August 18, 2004).]

Parrish57
08-18-2004, 03:37 PM
Tom... I ran a 4:11 gear with a NISMO LSD. It worked great. I stayed in 3rd and 4th gears all of the time and didn't even get close to the rev limit on the back staight. Another Z car that I know of ran a 4:30 gear with a Quaife. It worked great until it melted! I used to have a 3:90 welded diff but I sold it. I ran it at CMP twice and I felt like I needed more gear plus the locked diff made for some wicked understear.

Steve

Tom Donnelly
08-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Steve,
Thanks. I'd be worried with more than a 4:11 that the valve springs would be taking too much of a beating. I have a NISMO and a welded as well.
I'm hoping to make it up to CMP and VIR next year, the Carolina Cup Pro Series sounds like fun.

Tom

Parrish57
08-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Yeah, Tom, the CCPS is alot of fun. We also go to the funest track in the SEDIV- Lowes Motor Speedway! That is by far my most anticipated race of the year. I got all excited when I saw that there would be races at Atlanta Motor Speedway, but when I saw the track layout/rules/supps I let out a huge sigh of disappointment. It doesn't sound like it will be anything like Lowes. Riding around on the apron? A chicane? Wrong direction? I'm surprised there are not any "No Passing Zones". After all that ranting and raving, I have to say, I might show up to "ride around on the apron" simply because there are so few races left on the calender that I can attend this year. But if there are any Atlanta region people who can answer as to why the race isn't conducted the same as Lowes, please enlighten us.

Thanks, Steve
ITS 57

JeffYoung
08-19-2004, 04:41 PM
Same here Steve. I was thinking of making the tow to Atlanta and then heard all the restrictions. Almost sounds like an obstacle course, not a track. Oh well.

Tom, were you at CMP last weekend? Which Z? I thought the guys there were Jay Miller and Bob Pharr.

Jeff

Tom Donnelly
08-19-2004, 06:09 PM
Jeff,

Nope, haven't been to CMP in several years. I ran an enduro there and posted decent times but didn't finished as well as I would have liked. I want to go back and make up for it. Don't give up on AMS. They'll sic Fletcher on them and get things right.

Tom

JeffYoung
08-19-2004, 06:31 PM
Gotcha. Come on out to the CCPS next year. We need a few more S cars, and the series is a lot of fun. For me, 45 minute races are about perfect and while it is stressful sometimes being in the same group with the SMs and SRFs, it can also be fun.

Are you in teh Atlanta region? I met Fletcher one time during my only visit to Road Atlanta (last year), did what he told me to do and he was great to deal with.

Jeff