PDA

View Full Version : injured driver at road atlanta

slickS14
07-25-2004, 09:15 AM
Does anybody know the details of the Miata driver that crashed at turn 5 and subsequently airlifted out to medical attention? The workers said the airlift was "precautionary", hopefully he or she is alright.

airball1
07-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by slickS14:
Does anybody know the details of the Miata driver that crashed at turn 5 and subsequently airlifted out to medical attention? The workers said the airlift was "precautionary", hopefully he or she is alright.
heard from a friend at the track driver broke a coupe of ribs, possible arm. windshield came into car causing cuts

bhudson
07-26-2004, 10:15 AM
Word over the F&C comm net - driver will spend a few more days in the hospital for observation from concussion, but he is talking, though still somewhat groggy. Possible broken rib, no mention of broken arm on the net.

Bob Hudson, Atlanta Region F&C.

m glassburner
07-26-2004, 11:29 AM
Glad to hear he is ok!! Anybody know what happened? mike g.

Mike Spencer
07-26-2004, 12:17 PM
There's not MUCH more information, but the specmiata.com website has the following thread about the accident. It will probably be updated over the next couple of days.

http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.ph...ic;f=8;t=000406 (http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=000406)

------------------
Mike Spencer
NC Region
ITA/7 RX-7 (finally)
1990 RX-7 Convertible (street car)

gsbaker
07-26-2004, 05:54 PM
As best we can tell at this time, Don Bayley experienced a basilar skull fracture from a relatively mild lateral impact, but survived.

What typically happens in these incidents is the bones break at the base of the skull, and the extra energy of the impact tears soft tissue such as carotid artery, spinal cord, etc. which cause a fatality.

In this case, apparently, there was just enough energy to break the bones, but no additional energy to tear the soft tissue.

That's cutting it pretty close. Don is a very lucky guy.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

[Edit: spelling]

[This message has been edited by gsbaker (edited July 26, 2004).]

racer14itc
07-26-2004, 06:01 PM
Gregg,

In your opinion, is this problem (basilar skull fracture injuries) worsened by the presence of concrete walls so close to the track? I.e., would the old fashioned tire walls do a better job of protecting the driver by dissipating the energy better?

Note that NASCAR is scrambling to install SAFER barriers at all the tracks to prevent the cars from hitting the concrete walls.

From a personal basis, once the concrete walls went up at Road Atlanta I stopped racing there and won't race there. Other tracks in the SEDIV (VIR, Kershaw, Roebling) don't seem to have the car-destroying reputation that Road Atlanta has and we came very close to losing a driver as a result of those concrete barriers, in my opinion.

Just some random thoughts and questions that have been running through my mind...

MC

m glassburner
07-27-2004, 01:26 AM
I have a question...Does a tire wall do any good without anything solid behind it?? mike g.

bhudson
07-27-2004, 09:10 AM
While I don't have any specific numbers, you would be surprised to note that Road Atlanta now has fewer car destroying incidents since the concrete walls were installed. And the lap times show that the walls aren't intimidating the drivers to slow down.

Other factors are that the old Rd Atl tire walls were notorious for pitching cars into the air resulting in rollovers - something of a rarity nowadays. The biggest factor may be that the biggest car eater in the old configuration was Turn 11 - which is now a straight and that the runoff room at Turn 12 is at least twice as wide as before.

It's still not perfect - I don't like runoff area at Turn 1 or Turn 5, but Turns 6, 7, 11, and 12 are much better than before.

Getting back to Mr. Bayley's accident - it was noted that the seat mounts (stock adjustable sliders) had buckled in the impact. Possible contributing factor?

Bob Hudson, Atlanta Region F&C

slickS14
07-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Bob - Thanks for the information and for re-directing this thread back to the incident and the concern for the injured driver. Mr Bailey is most certainly lucky.

cnewman
07-27-2004, 11:27 AM
Gregg's right. Thats cutting it WAY too close....

I know theres been a lot of discussion on H&N restraints, and I don't want to discuss the merits of each, but please, pick the one you're most comfortable with, and use it.

gsbaker
07-27-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by racer14itc:
Gregg,

In your opinion, is this problem (basilar skull fracture injuries) worsened by the presence of concrete walls so close to the track? I.e., would the old fashioned tire walls do a better job of protecting the driver by dissipating the energy better?...

MC

These injuries are caused by rapid deceleration, so anything that softens the impact will help.

There are frequently trade offs though, which can make it tough for the track designers. A concrete wall may make for a hard hit, but it may also keep you from flipping into the woods, the lake or down the ravine.

Sometime the best you can do is bad, but everything else is worse.

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

frosty
07-31-2004, 08:25 PM
from what i have been told by the owner of the car mr bailey was renting, he was wearing a g force h&n device, and it saved his life. and i wish him a full and speedy recovery.
after looking at the car, the stock seat sliders in stock mounting point did in fact buckle, one even pulled out. the sub strap also pulled part way out. the seat is leaning over the trans hump. the car did hit hard enough to buckle at the trans hump and mid point of the firewall. the rollcage is intact.
take the time to go over your cars and dont skimp on safety. buy a h&n device, it is less expensive than time in the hospital, or worse