PDA

View Full Version : South Florida Engine builder/machine shop?

captdanh
07-11-2004, 08:43 AM
Hello. I posted this question in the tech section, but didn't get much of a response, so I'll try here.
I would like to find a machine shop/engine builder, with experience building IT "legal" motors. I am looking at building a Toyota MR2 for ITA.
I was told that this is an expensive motor to build, compared to other IT motors.
I would like to get the truth from someone who really knows what they are talking about.
Thanks

------------------
Dan Heath

handfulz28
07-12-2004, 10:30 AM
What's expensive? $2k, 5k, 10k? $2k might buy you an OEM-rebuild with oversize pistons and maybe some port-matching on the head. It would take upwards of $5-8k to find a builder who's developed a ton of experience and will deliver an intake-to-collector package that will make the most power and still pass tech.
Call a Toyota dealer or TRD and price oversize pistons, bearings, gasket sets. Machining a block, cleaning/shaving a head, and teardown/reassembly are pretty standard across engines/shops. If custom pistons need to be made/imported, that could run upwards of $600 just for those pieces.
Also, FWIW, 2-day air freight to ship a complete 4-cyl from FL to CA and back cost me $125 each way, including lift-gate service to my door. That might have been partially because my engine builder probably ships a ton of motors. But if your budget goes big, you'll probably find the best Toyota builder out west.
Best of luck,
Michael

dtheracer
07-12-2004, 03:09 PM
An excellent Toyota performance player in a road racing context is Eric Van Cleef in Huntsville, AL. His number is 256-851-1990.

Dave Piasecki