PDA

View Full Version : Disposing of the body

oanglade
06-17-2004, 05:39 PM
OK, I need help getting rid of a body.

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Well, we took everything worth taking or that we cared to take from the crashed Miata and now I have a unibody with a few dangling items taking a lot of space in my garage (yeah, it's not a big car, it's a small garage).

All it has is unibody/rollcage/dash/front widshield/subframes/brake booster/misc.wiring/pedals/steering rack/fuel pump&tank (drained).

How do I get rid of it? Any actual places on the north side of Atlanta that anyone can recommend?

Should I put it by the curb and tape a trash bag to it?

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

Tom Donnelly
06-17-2004, 06:03 PM
Ony,
There is a recycling scrap yard in Hapeville that will pay for your car by the pound. By the time I stripped everything off my 240z, what was left got me $7.44. That was for just a shell with nothing in it, no doors, fenders, cage, nothing. They won't take gas tanks so that has to come out.

Newell Recycling
1359 Central Avenue
Atlanta, Ga 30344
(404)766-1621

Its right near Bearings & Drives, which is a good place for bearings and stuff.

It beats having to pay to have it hauled off.
The sooner you get rid of it, the sooner you can move on to the next one.

Tom

Hotshoe
06-17-2004, 11:49 PM
Ony:

I appreciate the good quote today:

"Should I put it by the curb and tape a trash bag to it?"

I needed a good laugh. Best one liner of the week.

lateapex911
06-18-2004, 12:54 AM
I've been in your shoes.

At the time my office was next to a business with a metal dumpster. So one Sat morning I took a sawzall, and a box of blades out to the drive. In a couple hours, the van was loaded.

Monday morning, no car in drive, empty van.

And I have a spare title should I ever need such a thing. (I saved the VIN stampings)

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gsbaker
06-18-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by oanglade:

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

I had a similar idea with a banged up utility trailer, thinking I'd just leave it at a construction site with a "Take me" sign on it. It must have looked like a police sting operation, because it remained untouched for about two weeks.

I finally removed the sign. Poof! Gone the next day.

Gregg

oanglade
06-18-2004, 09:27 AM
I've learned that you get rid of things quicker if you put a $5 sign on them than if you put a "FREE" sign on them.

Anyone wants a bent Miata unibody? Only $5!!
http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

Hotshoe
06-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Ony:

What year is it? What got bent? Do you have the title? I might be interested. I have the means to straighten it. I have arose my RX7 from the dead three times now.

I have a complete drivetrain for a 97 with only 4k on it.

oanglade
06-18-2004, 02:01 PM
It is a '90 and I'll have to ask my partner about the title, but I do think that he has it.

What got bent?
The firewall to the right of the brake booster, the front subframe, the left front corner, left rear quarter panel.
Looking at the car and cage, there are big gaps where there were very small gaps at the A-pillar, for example.

You are welcome to take a look at it and if it will work for you, it's yours.

Email me at [email protected] if interested.

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

timo944
06-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by oanglade:

OK, I need help getting rid of a body.

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Well, we took everything worth taking or that we cared to take from the crashed Miata and now I have a unibody with a few dangling items taking a lot of space in my garage (yeah, it's not a big car, it's a small garage).

All it has is unibody/rollcage/dash/front widshield/subframes/brake booster/misc.wiring/pedals/steering rack/fuel pump&tank (drained).

How do I get rid of it? Any actual places on the north side of Atlanta that anyone can recommend?

timo944
06-22-2004, 10:34 PM
Newell told me about a guy named Lamar who will pick up your body for free. He takes it there and makes a few $$ off the metal. It's $2.50 per 100 lbs.

I have his number at home and will post Friday when I get back.

I have not called him yet - just got his # yesterday.

Timo

oanglade
06-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Awesome! Let me know.

------------------
Ony Anglade
ITA Miata
Sugar Hill, GA

timo944
06-23-2004, 10:23 PM
Ony,

The name is Lamar - 770-389-5026. I have not talked to him yet because I'm out of town and figured I'll call him next week. Post a reply and let me know if you have any success.

Timo

timo944
06-25-2004, 06:24 PM
Correction:

770-389-5626. GF can't read my writing...