PDA

View Full Version : OK, Where Are You ITC Guys?

Catch22
03-25-2004, 02:15 PM
We only had 3 cars in the SARRC race this past weekend at VIR.
Where are you guys? Have the Spec Miatas finally run you off?

Scott, hoping to see more cars at CMP in May.

racer14itc
03-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Scott,

I think the Spec Miata class has really hurt ITC. Used to be people started racing in an ITC or ITB car, but now they're all in SM's.

There still are a few really good ITC's out there (Will, Vesa, Stephen Douglass, Jinx, Jamie Blair to name a few) but I just don't see people building new ITC's anymore, especially other marques because of the fact the Hondas are so dominant.

When you get tired of running around by yourself, you might think about moving up to limited prep GP! It has the added advantage of being able to run nationals and you can go to the Runoffs. We're seeing more limited prep cars being built all the time (especially Hondas...damn!)

MC
2001 SARRC ITC Champ

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Airborn Coatings/The Shop VW
Scirocco
Zephyr Race Coaching and Consulting
http://pages.prodigy.net/scirocco14gp

[This message has been edited by racer14itc (edited March 25, 2004).]

tac911t
03-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Hey, I started racing in ITB this year!!

Miata's are the current car to have, but for me, they are out of my budget, even if I built one from an inexpensive streetcar. I got though my two schools and first race for less than 1/2 of the price for the average Spec Miata (includes cost of car, tires, used trailer). Even if the race-to-race operating expenses are minimal (since they are easy on brakes and tires), the initial cost was/is to high.

Todd

Catch22
03-26-2004, 01:21 AM
I've said this before on other boards, but I'll say it here...
The Spec Miata thing is really hurting a bunch of classes in the form of new drivers. There is this myth out there that you can build a COMPETITIVE Spec Miata for less than $10000 and go racing. This just isn't even close to true. The frontrunning cars are almost all OPM or BSI cars that cost over $20K.
There are some sub $10K SMs out there, but not only are they not competitive in SM, they are struggling to race with me in my ITC car (which is another thread in itself).

Those folks could have spent the same money to build an ITC car and be running in the same spot on the track. Except instead of being in class position 30, they'd be in class position 3. Then there's all of the SM contact and stuff (which is another thing that I think is hurting ITC).
I think its leading to a bunch of disenchanted new drivers and a bunch of SMs for sale. Its not helping things for anybody.

I'm not saying that SM is a bad thing, it certainly isn't. The "myth" is whats causing the problem. Simple fact is that its no cheaper to compete in SM than it is in ITA. Hell, SM may even be a tad more expensive.

I love ITC because the racing is great (when everyone shows up) and it costs a fraction of what I used to spend to run an Integra. I just get a little down when I show up to VIR and there are only 3 ITC cars there. I know there are more of you guys out there.

Jamie Blair - I'm in my 2nd ITC year and haven't met him yet.

Russ Myers
03-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Just hold your horses. As soon as the Fiesta gets an annual tech(and I get my son gradiated from high school) I'll be there.
I am hopeful of making the SS/MM at VIR in May.

Regards
Russ Myers
Fiesta ITC #?

iambhooper
03-27-2004, 08:44 AM
if all goes well at school next month, you will have another ITC driver to contend with soon. my x 1/9 is ready to come and play.

i didn't choose ITC, i more or less stumbled accross it. of course i was looking for a IT7 or a Spec7 at the time, then i found the fiat and couldn't turn it down. i've got a car that was a couple of races on it, with no development. so i'm looking forward to getting out ther and competing!

hoop

Catch22
03-27-2004, 02:05 PM
I think you'll find that you like ITC, expecially if you're a budget conscious racer as I am.

The racing is just as close and as fun as any other class, but the cars are cheaper and the consumables budget tend to be much smaller as ITC car, because of their nature, are easy on tires and brake components.

And if you get a car like mine, which is effectively a detuned Civic Si, the thing tend to be as bulletproof as a race car can be.

Hoop, are you in Florida or the northern region?

bobpink
03-27-2004, 09:54 PM
I had a blast driving an ITC car a couple of years ago because you had to keep the momentum going everywhere on the track. The only downside was the long straightaways that took forever to get down. Right leg starting hurting from trying to push the accelerator through the firewall. Bought the ITS Prelude and really enjoy the "fast" part, but Scott is correct about the increased cost of consumables.

If we can find a buyer for the Prelude you would find me back in ITC or ITB. ITS turned out to be just a little too rich for my budget.

------------------
Bob Pinkowski
Atlanta Region SCCA
OPM Autosports
ITS Honda Prelude (for sale)

iambhooper
03-28-2004, 09:51 PM
i'm in Greensboro, NC... 1 hour 15 min from VIR.

i think i will like the X 1/9... especially if i can get used to the brakes. the car doesn't have power brakes, so it will take some getting used to.

hoop

------------------
hoop
greensboro, nc
Blue Fiat x1/9
ITC #77
Region 55

crxracerjamie
04-01-2004, 10:46 PM
Catch22,

I'm still out here. I haven't run a very active schedule over the past couple of seasons due to a new job, new addition to the family, etc. Hopefully I'll get that all sorted out and be back soon. Right now I'm sticking close to home (CMP & Lowes). I'm sure we'll run into each other eventually.

crxracerjamie
04-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Oops-
Jamie Blair
#37 ITC
1985 Honda CRX

Catch22
04-02-2004, 12:17 AM
Looking forward to meeting you Jamie.
We'll be at CMP on Memorial day weekend. Maybe we'll see you there.

Scott Giles
91 Civic

dave parker
04-12-2004, 02:28 PM
I will be down to VIR for the SARRC/MARRS double with my ITC Scirocco.
Hope to have some good,hard(clean) racing.
Thanks
Dave Parker
wdcr itc#97

racer14itc
04-12-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by dave parker:
I will be down to VIR for the SARRC/MARRS double with my ITC Scirocco.
Hope to have some good,hard(clean) racing.
Thanks
Dave Parker
wdcr itc#97

Purple or white? It'd be cool to see my old car at VIR.

MC

dave parker
04-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Mark,
I be there with the white(fingers crossed). Your purple scirocco belongs to my wife Terri, who learned long ago not to let her husband drive her racecar. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Our plan is to later this year come to VIR with both cars and race a SARRC event.
See ya in May
Dave Parker

iambhooper
04-22-2004, 07:04 AM
the fiat and i made it through the double school at Nelson Ledges, with colors. we have made plans to race the double SARRC at VIR next month.

ITC may actually have a decent size field for this race!

Simon
05-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey,

Next year I will be in ITC with my 89 Civic http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Simon