PDA

View Full Version : IT7's in North Carolina

Jim Innella
09-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Just found out that we'll be moving from Ft Lauderdale to Greensboro , N.C. I have had a great time running the IT7 class in the SE and CF Region over the past year and one half. Here is my question . I have heard and read that the SE region has a strong IT7 contingency as compared to other regions. I have enjoyed racing against 12 - 15 competitors in my class espcially at the Sebring races. I need to decide wether I should take the IT7 to N.C. or sell it here and buy a different class car to race up there with. I purchased my car from Maryland and have been pretty competitive with it always running near the front. Believe me the car is good because as a rookie driver I still have a long way to go. I want to keep racing but if the IT7 classes in N.C., Virgnia, S.C. only attract a few cars in the class I would rather find a class with more competitors. I would appreciate any input from anyone who has a feel for SCCA racing in the N.C. region. If it makes more sense to change classes I will list my IT7 on this site first. I would like to see what this car would do in the hands of a more experienced driver on Florida tracks . I qualified it second and finished second (first heat)at the June Sebring race. I think most of the drivers I race with could get even more out of it. But first things first- Is there life in the IT7 class outside of Florida ??
Thanks
Jim Innella
IT7 #60

chuck baader
09-17-2003, 08:30 PM
Jim, go to the SEDIF web site and research the races that have occured this year. You can find a break-down by class for each race, and the total number of entries. Don't rule out Road Atlanta, Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham and Roebling Road in Savannah as they are all close to your new home and great tracks.

------------------
Chuck Baader
SEDIV ITS #36 E30 BMW
Alabama Region Assistant Race Chair, Divisional Registrar

Mike Cox
09-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Don't forget VIR. Damn, hate to hear you're moving. really enjoyed racing with you down here. When's the date? Are you gonna make the October race at Sebring before you go? May have to throw a going away party at the local strip club in Sebring for you........opps forgot, there isn't one. Oh well, will have to think of something. Call me if you get a free minute and let's talk.

Mike
813-927-9011

Jim Innella
09-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Thanks Mike, As of now it doesn't look like I will make the Sebring race. The car will still be in Florida and if there is any way of shooting down for the weekend I would but I am not getting my hopes up. I do appreciate the help and advise you have given me since I started racing. It is not too often that you find a race competitor willing to advise another on how to reduce lap times. You are a true ambassador of Club Racing. Once I get settled I will still try to do one CFR race a year. It will be a long trip but nothing that I don't do for my sons racing effort on a pretty regular basis. So , hopefully I will get to run with you and the rest of the guys in Florida again. Thanks again and Good Luck.
Jim

Hotshoe
09-20-2003, 08:36 PM
Jim:
Welcome to North Carolina. I have been racing in IT7 since it started. We have over ten to fifteen cars just in this area. Greensboro is the home town for most of the NC Region. If you ever need any help just look me up, I'll be glad to help. Hope you enjoy the "Northern Tracks" as much as we do. V.I.R. is the place to race.
Well, hope to see you soon. My Email address is: [email protected]

Rick Thompson # 99 IT7

manny
09-21-2003, 06:57 AM
just need to know but why the move jim?

Jim Innella
09-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Thanks Chuck and Rick for the info and the welcome. I am looking forward to racing in the region. I imagine I will have to get the feel for driving a track with elevation changes. The closest thing to a track with a hill I have been on is turn 2 down to 3 at Homestead. Manny as far as the reason for the move , I have some flexibility relating to my business life and my 12 year old who has been racing karts since he was 7 wants to continue with karts as well as branching out to Bandeleros this year then Legends the year after. South Florida is a great place to live but it is a tough location to be based if you want to race. The closest track my son races at is 120 miles away and almost all the State Championship races are in Cental to North Florida.The Nationals he runs are primarily out of State and when you live in a State that takes 6 hours to drive out of it can get rough. In the past two years we have put 75000 miles on our tow vehicle just going to races.Greenboro will provide a lot more options for his racing. Might even allow me to run some Sunday Scca races on weekends when he has races on Saturday. It feels like a good idea , I hope I am right.As of now the wife trusts my judgement (no pressure there) Thanks, Jim IT7 #60

dspillrat
09-22-2003, 07:24 AM
Welcome Jim,
Good luck with the carts.
David Spillman

12 year old who has been racing karts since he was 7 wants to continue with karts as

manny
10-09-2003, 07:15 PM
hey jim if you can would you contact me off line. my email addy is [email protected]. i would like to ask you some questions about your move.thanks

iambhooper
10-23-2003, 07:12 PM
Jim,

Welcome to Greensboro! I can tell you what I know (which isn't a lot, as I am new to the SCCA, myself).

Locally, there is a strong IT7 contingent. Most of them are housed at a place that could best be described as a race hostel. All are active members of the NCR region, and most flag at VIR when there aren't Club events.

Since I just got involved this year, I do not have my license and have been mostly crewing and flaging. However, I plan to get licensed next winter (04/05). In the meantime, I'm helping my friends build their IT7 car.

Meetings are at Logans Road House, at the intersection of Wendover and Bridford PKWY, the 1st Tuesday of every month.

If you are currently in town, come up to VIR Saturday for the Goblins Go event.

http://www.ncrscca.com/

------------------
hoop
greensboro, nc

Jim Innella
12-04-2003, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info Hoop- I didn't make it up there for this months meeting but will try next month. You are the third person from Greensboro that mentioned there is a " garage " for IT cars. I was wondering exactly where that is. I actually have room for my race car , but I am looking for a spot to park our race trailer. 28' long x 8'6" wide. Any ideas ? We will be living in Summerfield, just outside of Greensboro (NW). Appreciate any info
Thanks
Jim

murphyd
12-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Jim, Drop me an email and I'll give you the low down on the clubs race shop. [email protected]