PDA

View Full Version : New to Daytona

Russell
09-22-2003, 07:43 AM
Anyone going this weekend?

It is supposed to be a more "relaxed" weekend of racing so I figured that would be good for my first time on the high banks.

Any advice for a noob?

I have been to several races there (24hours and historics). It doesn't seem too tricky but it can be defferent once you are in the car on track. It seems like the transitons from the infield to the banking (nascar turn 1) can upset the car. Although im not sure how fast the sentra will be going at that point. What is the perferred line through the banks? do slower cars stay low or high?

Any answers would be appreciated. Thanks

Russell McMullan
Orlando, Fl
Black '92 ITS SE-R

Mike Cox
09-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Hey Russ,

To answer some of your questions about Daytona.

The transition to Nascar one can be tricky but not as bad as you think. Some drivers drive high and then come back down the banking while other go in low (shorter distance). It all depends on feel. The banking is not to bad but it is bumpy. You will get the feel of it after a while. Try to start off 4 or 5 foot above the bottom painted line and work your way down to it. If you hook the flat with your left front tire while in the banking you will go for a ride.

Be careful to not pinch the car coming off Nascar 2 and Nascar 4. My car likes to be freed up halfway thru the 2 & 4. If you bind the car up coming off those corners it may make a violent move towards the wall because of the transition. Expirience speaking here.

We all try to run the bottom of the track and let the faster cars go arounds us in the middle lane, so stay low and watch your mirrors. I even added a convex mirror under my wink mirror to be able to see further back in the banking in case a faster car is approaching. Windshield banners on top of the front windshield can also hamper your ability to see far enough ahead around the banking to see a potential problem developing.

Daytona is fun but also very fast (fast= dangerous). Make sure you are on good terms with your wife (if married). Mine always reminds me that my life insurance policy is in her name and she gets the money. Comforting thought, that's why I don't let her work on my car with me. LMAO.

Look me up Saturday morning and if you want to, we can go out for pratice together and I'll help you as much as I can.

Mike Cox
#37 IT-7

944racer
09-25-2003, 07:31 AM
Some more things to remember from experience.
If you break in the banking, DO NOT DRIVE OFF THE BANKING! It will tear up the front of your car. The transition is very steep. Coast until you see a flat part and stay out of the other cars way.
The banking is self cleaning. If they pile up in front of you, they will slide to the bottom.
Do not drive on the top of the track. That is where the fast cars will pass. Watch your mirrors and stay out of the way. The bottom is also the shortest way around.
Follow some cars through the bustop chicane before Nascar 3. It is very fast and most drive it too slow. Maintain your momentum and carry as much speed out of the corner before the LONG straight.
First time with the GT1 Olds at Daytona. Just a little faster than my ITS car. I can hardly wait!!
Andy Fox

Mike Cox
09-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Unfortunately, looks like I won't get up on the banking this weekend. Looks like I will have to stay near the hospital and wait and see if my grandmother recovers (she's 97). Doesn't look good now. All you guys have fun and speak kindly about me. Will see you at Sebring in October. Wishing I could be there.

Mike

gsbaker
09-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Mike,

Best wishes for your grandmother.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Mazmarc
09-25-2003, 02:09 PM
Mike, hope your Grandmother makes a recovery.

Russ, Ill be crusing around on an ATV with a two year old in front and a blonde on the back. Just coming to watch and help. Ill look for you. Do you have a garage? I might be able to help you get around the track.

Gregg, are you going to be there? I'd like to meet you.

------------------
Marc Dana
#63 ITS Mazda Rx-7
#77 STS BMW 325I

Mike Cox
09-25-2003, 03:06 PM
Thank you guys, Please say a prayer for her that she will suffer no more. She's had a good life and now it's her turn to join my grandfather and never hurt again.

I must say this to all of you. I can think of no better friends than our family we have in CFR.

Best of luck to all of you this weekend. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you and everybody come home safe.

Mike

gsbaker
09-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Mazmarc:
Ill be crusing around with... a blonde on the back...

Gregg, are you going to be there? I'd like to meet you.

Marc,

Unfortunately, no. I'd like to meet you also, but I have a situation similar to Mike's. My aging parents (though not 97) require my increasing attention, and the wife's birthday is Sunday.

If I miss the wife's birthday, I'll be lucky to have a blonde riding anywhere. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

gsbaker
09-25-2003, 03:19 PM
Mike,

Your post went up while I was composing my reply. In hindsight, my comments look flippant. My apologies.

Best to all.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

Mike Cox
09-25-2003, 03:32 PM
Greg, no need to apoligize.

Just a tough time our family has to go thru. Have removed all tubes from her except her pain medicine so it's in God's hands now.

Just hope he's a merciful God and takes her into his arms soon.

Mike