PDA

View Full Version : Hazerdous Material accross state lines

spnkzss
07-18-2005, 02:06 PM
What is the law on carrying fuel? I think I am going to be carrying all the fuel up to The Glen this weekend and want to know if there is any problem carrying 15 Gallons of low test and 10-15 gallons of 110 accross state lines from VA.

Spanky
#03 ITC 1990 Honda Civic WDCR

JamesB
07-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Is it even an issue? I have never once wondered about transporting fuel when racing, not in MX nor even thought about it with getting into road racing.

I think that NY would care more if you where transporting for sale rather then transporting for use.

dave parker
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM
Spanky
The absolute best way to carry fuel is in the gas tank of the race car.
Transporting it any other way invites a pleasant chat with the federales or the overzealous local constables. If you refuse that advice please make sure that your CDL (you do have a CDL right?) has the haz-mat certification on it.

Good Luck.

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

JamesB
07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
I thought that was for large quantities of fuel that you needed a CDL to cross state lines. If so I been off for years along with many others I know of as we have always transported our fuel for personal use over state lines.

I hit the search engines but I found nothing on how much a person can transport without issue.

JohnRW
07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
You don't need to post warning placards until you're carrying more than 119 gallons, according to the US Dept. of Transportation.

When confronted with a local who has a different opinion, I always say 'show me where it says that'.

joeg
07-18-2005, 04:02 PM
Spanky--Don't worry about it unless you are carrying it in a 55-gallon drum out in the open.

Cheers.

spnkzss
07-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
Spanky--Don't worry about it unless you are carrying it in a 55-gallon drum out in the open.

Cheers.

I knew there was some limit, I just couldn't remember what it was. 55 gallons sounds right.

Dangerous Dave,
The race car will be full, but I think I may need 1-2 more gallons to finish out the entire weekend. I don't want to pull a Baraka http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif The Prod Car will probably need 10 more gallons then us C cars. I just don't want to pay the inflated, inflated, prices in New York (no I didn't screwup and write inflated twice by accident).

Spanky
#03 ITC 1990 Honda Civic WDCR

*** Edited because I forgot the "Dangerous" in front of Dave. ***

[This message has been edited by spnkzss (edited July 18, 2005).]

dave parker
07-18-2005, 05:12 PM
Thank you for getting my title correct. Even if it is a self bestowed honorific.

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

16v
07-20-2005, 01:09 AM
I thought you had to utilize the track fuel for Club events?

dickita15
07-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by 16v:
I thought you had to utilize the track fuel for Club events?

uh no. although at the runoffs next year they will ahve to for the first time ever
dick

JamesB
07-20-2005, 09:10 AM
Requiring track fuel? why does this new runoff venue sound more and more like a bad deal?

tac911t
07-20-2005, 11:53 AM
At the Runoffs this year (Mid-Ohio), track fuel will be required. I have placed the importance of the track fuel issue as a National Racing issue. For my regional racing (the only racing I am doing), I plan to use pump fuel local to me from outside of the tracks I visit. My reasoning is that I have never seen or heard of any Regional Race impound performing fuel tests.

[This message has been edited by tac911t (edited July 20, 2005).]

JamesB
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
I didnt know it was going to happen this year. I am just catching up on all the club changes going on since I am new to it. But it does seem odd to force that specially given from one state to the next that price can slide nearly 50c a gallon.

racer14itc
07-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by JamesB:

I didnt know it was going to happen this year. I am just catching up on all the club changes going on since I am new to it. But it does seem odd to force that specially given from one state to the next that price can slide nearly 50c a gallon.

The Runoffs track fuel requirement is in response to $32/gal "cheater" fuels and an attempt to level the playing field so everyone is using the same fuel. (I'm not going to argue whether it will work or not).

From my perspective (a production car racer) I've always used track fuels because of the convenience. I've also been on the track behind cars that have "juiced" fuels that make your eyes burn, and you can't breathe. It's amazing what some guys will do to win a wooden plaque, i.e. use extremely dangerous and carcinogenic fuel additives for a few more horsepower.

Sorry to get off topic here, but I felt it necessary to try and explain the rationale behind the Runoffs track fuel rule before the "national racing" bashing began once anew...

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Action Digital/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme VW Scirocco

tac911t
07-20-2005, 04:47 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the clarification. That is my point, that the track fuel requirement is due to the 'juiced' fuels that people have used. I guess I should not assume that only the National racers use 'juiced' fuel. I am not trying to start a fire about who uses/does not use 'juiced' fuel.

JamesB
07-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Well I guess your right, I never think of it that way since it never occurs to me that there are people like that out there. And sometimes depending on where you live the track is the best source for higher octane fuels. Now my only thing is if I ran EP per say, I could get 100octane about 25c less per gallon at capital raceway compared to summit point. So I guess I live budget minded. Given I will be in ITB any ole 93 will work for me.

racer14itc
07-21-2005, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by JamesB:

Now my only thing is if I ran EP per say, I could get 100octane about 25c less per gallon at capital raceway compared to summit point.

James,

Unfortunately, thanks to the jerks who use(d) juiced fuels, if you ran EP you'd have to use leaded race gas. Unleaded gas won't pass the fuel tests required for the production classes, due to the oxygenates in unleaded gas. So that would up your fuel costs to $6/gal or more. Still, it's amazing that some folks will pay $32/gal for a fuel that will pass the fuel tests and add 1-3% more horsepower even though they KNOW the fumes are exremely noxious and poisonous.

The next time someone mentions to you that other people cheating doesn't affect you, remind them of the fuel rules that require production classes (and others like GT, ASedan,etc.) to use $6/gal race fuel even if their cars will run just fine on 93 octane (such as rotary Mazdas).

MC

------------------
Mark Coffin
#14 GP BSI Racing/Action Digital/Airborn Coatings/Krispy Kreme VW Scirocco

JamesB
07-21-2005, 12:14 PM
Is EP leaded only? ok, still at all points its cheaper in crofton then summit. I guess I was thinking prepared because thats where I would expect the compression ratios requiring at least 100octane out there. Again I know little about all the classing, I am focusing on just understanding IT and the rest of the GCR this summer before I get to the drivers school. One day I will find time to venture to other classes and see how expensive this hobby can get.

dave parker
07-21-2005, 12:26 PM
James
This hobby will get as expensive as you let it.
If you are willing to spend 75k for a regional racing program it can be done. Hell, you might even win some races.

I think the majority of people involved in IT are out to have fun without spending every cent they have(there are some exceptions).

Now back to the topic at hand, hazardous materials across state lines, does this include Matt Yip? He is hazardous material(don't ask how I know). Does that mean that the person(s) riding with him to the Glen could be charged by the constabulary?

cheers
"dangerous" dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

JamesB
07-21-2005, 12:29 PM
I don't know, I still think I outrank him after our little stop at quaker steak & lube this past weekend.

Well yes, I know how expensive it can get, I am still trying to balence out all that I need to have aligned for the fall school with some time on the track before hand so I am comfortable in the car.

[This message has been edited by JamesB (edited July 21, 2005).]

Colin Harmer
07-21-2005, 05:57 PM
It's our understanding that you do not need any special license or Hazmat labels as long as you have less then 500lbs of chemicals on board. I asked a professional truck driver about this and he said that as long as it's less then 500lbs you are OK.

Happy Trails.

Cheers,

------------------
Colin Harmer
ITB 2-Red Golf
Halifax, NS
www.gomuchfaster.com
[email protected]