PDA

View Full Version : MyLaps and the “Pay and Play Syndrome”

Dave Patten
05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I am a former IT racer, currently in GT. I follow the IT message board because at the Regional level, this is where the racing is at.

I listened to the comments regarding NNJR’s event at Pocono and the delay in postings to MyLaps. I wanted to give a little incite into what goes on to make these postings happen.

We have entered the electronic age of T&S by using AMB transponders and the MyLaps postings. As with any electronic system, the original AMB system and software used did not allow for MyLaps postings. To make the MyLaps postings it required the Region purchase new software and train the T&S staff to use it. This requires the volunteer T&S staff to take personal time to learn and teach the new software. The initial education can’t be done on the fly at the track. It requires that these volunteers take personal time, away from the track, to learn the new software. My wife, Denise Patten, is the Chief of T&S for New England Region. She has taken her own personal time to learn the new software and time to educate others within the Region. She makes the MyLaps postings happen from home after the event.

Denise is also responsible, as are other Region’s T&S staffs, for tracking track records and making sure that the next SCCA region holding an event at that track has the information for the next event. The days before an event she takes all the pre-registered driver entries and creates a new database for use at the upcoming event. After each event she formulates results for publication in Pit Talk, NER’s newsletter and sends copies to National and Divisional officials. These are just some of the activities that we as drivers don’t see.

The “Pay and Play Syndrome”. Many drivers treat our racing as we would a ticket for an amusement ride. For the most, we as drivers have forgotten that this is a Club. We forget that entry fees are not to buy a service but to cover costs. Those that work grid, pits, corner stations, registration, T&S, tech, stewards, etc are all volunteers. They do this for the love of the Sport without pay or reimbursment of expenses; they volunteer their personal time to be there for us.

We all should do more than just wave at the corner workers on our cooldown lap as our only show of appreciation. The minimum should be to go to the after race party and talk with the workers, personally express your appreciation of what they do for you and if you can, ask what you might be able to do to help out. The wider the burden is spread the lighter the load will be.

Be a “Club Member” not just a driver paying for services.

------------------
Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH

mlytle
05-25-2005, 12:26 PM
great post!!!!

dave parker
05-25-2005, 01:07 PM
Dave
I agree with your position 100 percent. Many of the new drivers(and some that have been around a long time) do not realize that Club racing is just that, Club racing. It is not PRO racing where your entry fee covers everything and you are expected to be "the show". Everything that happens at a Club race happens because someone took the time to make it happen. More than likely "that time" was time that the person could have spent doing something else(perhaps billable time at work).

I have said it many times in the past, that I see a lot of drivers who show up at the track, run thier race, and leave and we don't see them till the next race. These also seem to be the people with the loudest voices when something happens that they don't like.

I personally have three volunteer positions with the Washington DC Region (down from four last year). In no particular order driver's school instructor, scca merchandise person, and beverage side of the hospitality committee(beer steward). I do it because it needs to be done.

I enjoy asking this question so, What do you do for the Club? This question is not asked in a confrontational manner so please do not be offended, it is asked merely to make you think. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

[This message has been edited by dave parker (edited May 25, 2005).]

benspeed
05-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Thanks Dave - our Chief of T&S, Linda Loiuie, would really appreciate your post. She had one tough day on Sat. at Pocono when the "hot" computer crashed and a bunch of results were lost. She and the whole T&S team puts in a lot of effort and when you move to a new system it's not "easy".

Cheers,

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
NNJR BoD - Treasurer
[email protected]
NNJR

Dave Patten
05-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Dave Parker,
I don't take your question in any offence. I do a small part to help out.

I offer my time as Driving Instructor at NER's two schools. This Spring the Region organized a Worker Recruitment Open House. I organized the driver support and the display vehicles for the event. The drivers acted as hosts and introduced small groups of attendees to each of the Road Race Specialties. I attend a good percentage of the NER-CRB meetngs to offer competitor input. I support Denise in T&S by doing little things like moving equipment, helping teardown and pack up after events and getting her after race "beverages" when she is still in the tower finalizing race results and everyone else is at the party.

These are small things that don't take a tremendous amount of effort or time, but do help.

Small efforts can help. A crew member going down the street for parts could stop and get ice. Not much effort, but a big relief for event organizers that are loaded down with many other tasks.

------------------
Dave Patten
Dunbarton, NH

dave parker
05-25-2005, 04:57 PM
Dave Patten
I should have been more clear. I ask the question "What do you do for the Club?" of people who I know don't do anything or are new or start a statement with "This is really f*&$ed up, why do they do it this way". It is meant to get them to think about what they are complaining about.
Not directed at you at all. But thanks for sharing nonetheless.
cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

[This message has been edited by dave parker (edited May 25, 2005).]

Speed Raycer
05-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Great Post! (and I'll be emailing you for more info on the MyLaps process)

I'll bite on Dave Parkers question:

I'm a relative newcomer having only been with the SCCA for 3 years now. Started out as a driver, but when my son was born realized that I'd be limited on my seat time for a couple of years. I decided to help out my region by working a corner when I could and then took over the the regions website administrative duties... mainly the Club Racing section, but other areas too. It's required WAYYYY more time than I'd ever had imagined, but it's a great feeling to help out the region any way I can.

Personally, people are missing out on a lot of the comrodery (sp?) that goes on in the club by only being a driver/crew/builder. Get out on a corner or work registration/tech/T&S if you'd rather, but take an opportunity and stay behind the wall for a race and see what happens...

------------------
Scott Rhea
It's not what you build...
it's how you build it
http://www.izzyscustomcages.com/images/IzysLgoSm.jpg (http://www.izzyscustomcages.com)
Izzy's Custom Cages (http://www.izzyscustomcages.com)

Andy Bettencourt
05-25-2005, 09:24 PM
While I agree with the volunteer comments above, understand that the questions regarding the 'timing' of the upload to MYLAPS come from the posted sign out front of the results area that specifically pointed us to MYLAPS for results.

I thought that was awesome and 'expected' to see them up at ML in a day or so. I also understand that, as a driver in that event, there were timing issues and there could have been a lot of manual input before we saw anytyhing. Never hurts to ask a question or two...

Any Region can use extra help in any discipline...DO IT!

AB
SCAC
ITAC
NER BoD

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

emwavey
05-26-2005, 09:11 AM
Excellent thread... "ask not what your (club) can do for you, ask what you can do for you (club)"...

First off, Dave and Denise, thank you for all your hard work. It's because of folks like you that allow newbie road racers like me a pleasent, well organized and safe place to race. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

As a relatively new member of the SCCA, I was elected to the BoD a few years ago. I love to help and be involved with the goings on in the club. I put together the newsletter (which as a graphic artist I take it a little further then most), I help out at autocross events, pack up, help with tech, instruct, assign positions... and set up artwork for trophys, and so on... However I know I fall short as a volunteer, and know I could do more. I also try to remain open to critism. I can not see everything, and if there is a way for my volunteer time to be more effective, then I try to remain open to that.

However when "we" (who are giving what valuable time and resources we have) are "guilted" (and I'm not saying that this post in anyway is soliciting guilt) into doing more, it is a natural reaction to become defensive. One specific time I've been guilted into doing more. When talking about working a National event this phrase was directed at me, "You NEED to do this, it is your responsibility, etc..." I found it unnecessary especially when a simple "invite" would have sufficed.

Volunteering isn't just work, it is rewarding and lots of fun. Guilt is never a good motivator and it cheapens club and it's members. It sells them short. Instead, and like many have posted here and in other threads I've read on IT.com, volunteering to work within the region or at an event is about pride and about service. We give back because we have been given so much.

The club I belong to has given me a great resource to be able to race (autocross and just recently IT). It's not a responsibility or a duty to serve, it's a privilege. I love to be a witness to a new member's excitement about racing. Serving allows me this.

From my limited experience so far at the track, all the drivers I've encountered express nothing but the highest regard for the folks running the events. If a certain few individuals are giving the volunteers a hard time, I doubt it's the consensus.

Instead of making those who complain out to be villans, invite them to help, seriously not sarcastically. I've said pretty much that statement "why the F do they do it this way?" I have learned. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

-dave, who would rather have honey then vinegar in his tea.
#29 ITA/CSP CRX
SJ SCCA