PDA

View Full Version : Nelson Ledge school - anybody going?

MadFrog
04-04-2005, 09:58 AM
like the title says. I'm probably going to be headed up there solo, with a possible contact up there to help if needed.
It would be nice to be able to take my very own crew with me though.
Any volunteers from the DC area for a weekend of wrenching on somebody else's car?
91 Civic Si - ITA.

I'll supply food, share my hotel room, and buy the beer. If you're in the no-va area, I'll also supply the ride!

cheers.

ITA Racer
04-04-2005, 09:57 PM
I might be going . I am gonna try to make NHIS but if I don't i will be there. Is ther a noise restriction on this weekend, and if so what is it?

------------------
95 ITA Neon

[This message has been edited by ITA Racer (edited April 04, 2005).]

Gregg
04-04-2005, 10:43 PM
Good luck at Nelson, Sebastien. Unfortunately I'm going to have to bow out on this one. No way I can crew two schools this spring. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

Can't wait to race w/ ya!

------------------
Gregg Ginsberg
http://www.ginsberg.org
'89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA #72
WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

MadFrog
04-04-2005, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Gregg:
Good luck at Nelson, Sebastien. Unfortunately I'm going to have to bow out on this one. No way I can crew two schools this spring. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

Can't wait to race w/ ya!

but, but, but... I just received an entire set of pimpy Skunk2 lug nuts that actually fit the wheels, and you can even get a wrench on them. that and another "new to me" spare master cylinder. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Gregg
04-05-2005, 12:49 PM
As Sam Lockwood's crew about my experiences w/ those pimpy lightweight AL lugnuts.

Here's a hint: "Boy those CRX/Civic wheel wells get awfully hot, even w/ brake ducting." :P

-Gregg, who wishes he had 7/8's of the Frog's spares package.

MadFrog
04-05-2005, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Gregg:
As Sam Lockwood's crew about my experiences w/ those pimpy lightweight AL lugnuts.

Here's a hint: "Boy those CRX/Civic wheel wells get awfully hot, even w/ brake ducting." :P

-Gregg, who wishes he had 7/8's of the Frog's spares package.

I did supply gloves, didn't I? http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

and for the spares, e-bay and Majestic Auto Parts are your friends...

RACER10
04-05-2005, 02:20 PM
Check in with the cheif of tech, he is a Honda race car prep guy and a lot of help.

Oh and sound rules for Nelson is as per GCR.
See you there
Maurice

ITA Racer
04-08-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks Maurice

------------------
95 ITA Neon

ITA Racer
04-10-2005, 08:51 PM
I just wanted to say that I am definatly going. hotel reservations are made. Got my new helmet and hans too.I can not wait to pick up my car tommorow from the vinyl shop. See you guys out there.

------------------
95 ITA Neon

MadFrog
04-11-2005, 01:34 PM
I am looking at booking a hotel near the track. Any recommendations?

joeg
04-11-2005, 03:43 PM
The Budget 330.872-3833

Scott Nutter
04-11-2005, 07:12 PM
I'll be there. Crewing for my Nephews and Dad. No Honda's though (Mazda, Nissan, BMW). We are always willing to lend a hand if you need it and from the area so can tell you where the local Autozone is.

Scott Nutter
#85 ITA Mazda Rx7
#76 ITA Nissan 240SZ
#13 ITB BMW 318i

[This message has been edited by Scott Nutter (edited April 11, 2005).]

emwavey
04-14-2005, 08:03 PM
Good luck at the school guys!

I'm planning on going to my first race at Summit on 4/22-24. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/biggrin.gif

ITA Racer
04-25-2005, 08:58 PM
I survived and got my novice permit signed. The weather was Just a bit intimidating for my first drivers school at a track that I have never been to before. And yes the cars really do get to sliding pretty fast on wet grass. All in all it was a really great learning experience.

------------------
95 ITA Neon

joeg
04-26-2005, 07:21 AM
Congrats!

MadFrog
04-26-2005, 10:33 AM
wow, what a weekend that was. Once again, some valuable lessons learned, met some really good folks, and learned another track. How do I begin?

It all started with some panic and nerves about that damn noisy transmission. I called up Tom Blaney while on my way, and we decided to load up the tranny with some heavier oil to protect it and take it easy for the weekend. I really like that I can call Tom anytime and get in touch with him for advice, help, etc.
A six hour drive in the rain later, I got to beautiful, scenic Nelson Ledges race track. Picture a farm with a track in the back field.
The track looked quite intimidating. Tire walls everywhere, no gravel traps, and SLICK pavement. On top of that, I noticed a BMW driver that I have been seeing this year (he was at VIR in Feb, and Summit for the school last month) had planted his car in the tire wall and needed a new radiator and some sheet metal work http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/frown.gif

So off to the paddock I go. I picked a nice patch of green, soaked grass and called it home. It would soon become a hateful cold and wet mud pit that I came to loathe.
I had time to unload the car, the truck, set up the canopy and bleed the brakes before registration and tech opened. So far so good. Wet, cold, but good. Between registration and the class, I had an hour to kill, so I went in search of a local Autozone. It took a while, as there is NOTHING around Nelson. Found one in Warren and got some 20w50 oil for the tranny. Good to go.

The class was your typical SCCA class, although we were freezing our asses off - no heater. After that, it was off to the armpit of Ohio: Warren. After passing a few "Oriental Massage Parlor: Open 24 hours a day" http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif I got to downtown Warren where the Comfort Inn was located. It looked good on the picture online. I should have stayed at the Econolodge. Live and learn. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

The next morning was the big day. It was cold and wet (sense a pattern yet?) and I started changing the tranny oil before the driver meeting.
Lesson 1: cold 50 weight oil pours VERY SLOWLY.

Jon Marhefka was our group leader. Very nice guy, and he has the ITA track record on that track. About a 95mph average. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/redface.gif I met my instructor, Ray, who knows the track like his back pocket, he has literally thousands of laps at Nelson. On the drive arounds, we got to learn all the intricacies of the deceptively simple track, and which bump to use, which dip to avoid, and how to "feel" each apex. They're easy to spot in the rain: they're full of water.

The first session on track was interesting. I looked like a freaking hero! Of course, I had Dirt Stockers on the car where most others were running either dry tires, or street intermediates. It was entertaining to watch everybody slide while I just motored on.
Lesson 2: even on Dirt Stockers, lift off the brakes when going through a patch of deep standing water.

From there it was back to the mud pit. The day proceeded as SCCA schools do: alternating track time with debrief sessions. As I mentioned before, we had 2 sorta dry sessions where I switched to the Toyos. That was some major fun. You can really carry some speed around that track.

Lesson 3: bring some water proof shoes/boots. Frozen wet toes suck.
Lesson 4: don't leave the helmet in the race car with no windows when it's raining. Cold wet helmets suck even more

As the weather was deteriorating, the organizers decied to take us out there for one more session so that we could maximize our track time Saturday, in case the weather got worse on Sunday. Good call. By then, my leather jacket was soaked, along with my shoes (both street and driving) and my suit. Miserable doesn't begin to describe it. But once in the car, it was all forgotten. Adrenaline is a good drug.

During the day, I saw some interesting driving. There was a 240SX that couldn't drive straight. Great car control to catch the car everytime. Reminiscent of the Dukes of Hazzard driving style. I was quite intimidated and didn't dare pass in fear of him collecting me either on the upswing, or the rebound once he caught it. Luckily, after 2 or 3 laps following him he went way wide in 13 and blasted inside him. Whew!
There was also a beatiful vintage Alfa that was traction challenged. Fast, but squirelly.
And then there was Chris Himes in an older FP civic. Man that thing was looud. and that carburated 1500 goes like stink. Chris was having some problem in the 1-2-3 complex and we played follow the leader for a few laps. Once he got it, he was quite fast, and we had some fun out there. Unfortunately, he got red misted in the last session and took a hard hit in the tire wall, destroying the front end of the car. He and his crew were working late into the night to get the car in good enough shape to limp through the next day and complete the school. :thumbup:

Day two was a short affair, thankfully. After getting the snow off the race car, we took a short session on track, 3 practice starts and the race. The race should have been 10 laps, was cut down to 5 because of the heavy snow falling, then 3 because of the worsening conditions (visibility? what visibility?).
I was able to gain some spots on the practice starts, going from 8 to 5.
Lesson 5: it is true what Kirk said: always take the inside on the first corner

The race was on. We all lined up, me back in 8th place (grid error?). Green flag and off we went. By turn 3, I had passed a couple of cars on the inside and was going on. I watched the leader take off (one ffing fast VR6 golf, and the driver is good too!) and set my sights on 3rd and 4th cars. I was trying to gain on them when the red flag came out, halfway through the second lap. Damn! 6 cars blew that flag, btw. Turns out the Alfa put a wheel off coming out the carousel and flipped. The car is toast, but the driver was fine.
That was the anticlimactic end of a long cold wet weekend at the track. I got signed off and earned some kudos from several instructors, which always feels good. I don't know how to thank the workers enough this weekend. We were miserable as drivers, but at least we got to drive. These guys and gals were standing out in the driving rain and snow all weekend, and they were still smiling. Can't thank them enough!

I found a group of DC folks (the aforementioned BMW guy who lost his radiator) who were nice enough to share their Propane heater with me. Tom in a E36 325is, Jeff in a E30 325, Joe in a 240SX, Julie in a Spec Miata and Jason who was just hanging out. These guys were really nice, and we ended up caravaning back to DC. Thanks guys

Well, that got long winded, didn't it? If you are still reading, get back to work you slacker! =)

I am glad the weekend is over, and I got signed off. Thanks to Jon Marefhka for being a great group leader, Ray my instructor, all the workers at Nelson. Ya'll were first class. The weather sucked, but the people rocked!

[This message has been edited by MadFrog (edited April 26, 2005).]

mgyip
04-26-2005, 11:16 AM
Back at Slummit Point, we heard bits and pieces about the track conditions at Nelson. We had the full gammut of weather though - warm and sunny on Sat followed by torrential rains and thunderstorms and cold temps. On Sun we had an even interesting mix of weather - partly sunny with snow, rain and hail combined for good measure.

Glad that you made it thru the school safey. Are you headed to VIR in May?

Matthew

MadFrog
04-26-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by mgyip:
Glad that you made it thru the school safey. Are you headed to VIR in May?

Matthew

Nah, I have some work to do on the car, and it is on Mother's day weekend. I need to be around...
I plan on attending the June MARRS at summit, though.

mgyip
04-26-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by MadFrog:
Nah, I have some work to do on the car, and it is on Mother's day weekend. I need to be around...
I plan on attending the June MARRS at summit, though.

That's the gift that I give my Mother every year - I leave town...

See ya in June!!

Matthew

ITA Racer
04-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Hey Madfrog you should be a writer . I was trying to put my weekend into words and you ust put my thoughts into words. Thanks to all of the workers and the instruyctors and everyone else who puton a great weekend. It was pretty nerve wracking to not only never have driven let alone seen the track but the weather was pretyy crazy too. Thanks again to everyone.

------------------
95 ITA Neon

MadFrog
04-29-2005, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by mgyip:
That's the gift that I give my Mother every year - I leave town...

See ya in June!!

Matthew

heh, it's not MY mother I'm doing a favor for, it's the mother of my children... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed the writeup ITA Racer, see you in June at Slummit. woo-hoo!

<off to put some vertical stripes on the car>