PDA

View Full Version : NOTICE: MARRS 1 Paddock Grand Experiment

Gregg
04-21-2005, 12:32 AM
All-

An email sent to all MARRS drivers reps is being shown below verbatim. There are going to be some major changes to paddocking at Summit Point this weekend and I wanted everyone to be aware. Unfortunately, this decision was made without the consent of all of the drivers reps and those of us not involved in the decision were only notified this afternoon.

From Anne Callihan, Director of Competition, WDCR

To all:

The driver reps have spent several months stewing over paddock plans revolving around group corrals. While we voted to table further discussion at last week’s meeting, I thought it was important to do a trial of the idea with those groups most interested in the concept.

Very quickly, they came up with a proposal, which we will implement at M1 on an experimental basis. Groups involved are CF/FF, FV, GTP, ITB, SRF, SM, SRX7, and SSM. Note that the “ITB” group is a mixed-class group of mostly ITB drivers who typically paddock with the Pintos and have agreed to have GTP represent them in this trial.

In a nutshell, they have asked for 64 spaces, in which they expect to be able to paddock approximately 120 cars. The areas they have asked for are pretty much “historically” where these groups normally park, meaning minimal displacement.

A map is attached showing the reserved spots. THIS MAP IS FOR M1 ONLY.

This is approximately 30% of the total paddock. By my count, there are still approximately 145 marked spaces available for approximately 190 additional entrants, and nearly half of that is considered “prime” paddock. The informal arrangements many of you already have in place should help take care of much if not most of the overlap.

These driver reps are also willing to serve as paddock marshals at this event. I don’t think you can ask much more in terms of commitment to helping resolve one of our most difficult issues (other than race groupings).

Please ask your constituents to respect the reserved areas.

I’d also ask those of you not involved in the trial to at least survey the paddock and try to determine if there is an area that would work best for your group, and how you could conserve space if you were to buy into the concept in the future. The reserved spaces for M1 are not carved in stone. Redrawing the lines may be warranted. We will also probably want to look at how to reserve spaces for those cross-class or “diverse” groups that provide similar density. But that’s for future discussion.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Anne

http://www.ginsberg.org/images/marrs/m1corral.jpg

Remember, don't shoot the messenger. :-)

------------------
Gregg Ginsberg, MARRS ITA rep
http://www.ginsberg.org
'89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA #72
WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited April 21, 2005).]

Gregg
04-21-2005, 10:51 AM
A quick update:

From Anne Callihan, Director of Competition, WDCR

CF/FF has pulled out of the test. I think that was the only one in an area not historically theirs. The other groups driver reps will have pre-access early to mark territory. Maps and flyers have been printed and will be handed out at the gate. One "social" group (designated as ITB on the map, although it's not all ITB) is included in the test. We should have named it differently. And it is where it always is.

Anne

Matt Rowe
04-21-2005, 11:10 AM
Gregg,

I had heard a plan like this was in the works. Although my class won't be participating this weekend I'll be closely following the outcome to see how this works out. I'm sure there will be some controversy but I'd be happy to see anything that improves the paddock situation at Summit. Thanks to Anne, the drivers reps and everyone else who have put together a plan and good luck in working out the bugs.

------------------
~Matt Rowe
ITA Shelby Charger
MARRS #96

mgyip
04-21-2005, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Matt Rowe:
I had heard a plan like this was in the works. Although my class won't be participating this weekend I'll be closely following the outcome to see how this works out.

ITA isn't participating b/c the IT classes don't tend to "herd" like some of the other classes for obvious reasons. Since IT is comprised of various different makes/models of cars, the sharing of resources isn't the same as SM or SRF (as examples).

However ITB has been granted a test of the ITB "social group" that is comprised of some ITB cars as well as other cars. I'll be watching that very closely myself since the group that I paddock with includes several ITA cars as well as at least 1 ITB and 1 ITS car. While I like the idea of reserving spaces, I don't want to reserve spaces by class b/c I really don't want associate with Gregg (he smells funny).

Matt Rowe
04-21-2005, 08:28 PM
Matt, I thought ITA wasn't grouped together because no one wanted to be near you! Those guys must be lying to me. Oh well, see you Friday.

------------------
~Matt Rowe
ITA Shelby Charger
MARRS #96

mowog
04-25-2005, 07:51 PM
So how did the grand experiment work out?

mgyip
04-26-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by mowog:
So how did the grand experiment work out?

The outcome (for the few groups that participated) was quite positive. Essentially the test merely formalized what has been done informally for several years. Had the word been given to the participants sooner, it's likely that the land rush would have been less voluminous as well.

gwalsh
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
I've heard some of the ITA guys won't let you paddock anywhere near them unless you bring beer.

------------------
Gerry Walsh
Otto's Motorsport