PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah

aeronca65t
04-19-2005, 01:42 PM
EMRA ran a Time Trial and sprint races at the new Shenandoah track 4/15-4/17. Many of us had heard various reports about this track....not all positive.
Last year the track has some issues, but in my opinion, they are mostly resolved (there is some finish-work that is still on-going).
Personally, I think the track is excellent and I think most of the other racers that attended this event would agree. We ran with the "Karrosell" bypass (eliminating that turn). For more feedback on the track, go here:
http://www.pliner.net/appmb/74cd5/150389

dave parker
04-19-2005, 02:47 PM
I was going to ask Wreckerboy how things went (he is crazy so i know he will give a straight answer). Other than the rollover, were there any incidents?

Please share with the group.
cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

aeronca65t
04-19-2005, 05:07 PM
I didn't see the roll. I heard it was driver error but can't substantiate this. The incident was probably made worse by incomplete grading at the track edge.
They are still working on the edging around the track and I would expect that it will be completed pretty soon. There is also talk of making increased run-off area at the end of the main straight. This would be a good idea.
We chose not to use the Karrsousel.....it looks neat but we're still unsure how it would work in a race.
There is some outer and inner curbing (formed from macadam) that has a pretty steep angle. It didn't seem to bother the Honda-guys, but it upset my car when I hit it. Stay off it at first.
The track is what I would call "technical". It has good elevation changes, multi-apex turns and some blind apexes. There is a dropping "chute" sort of like a small version of the corkscrew at Lagu Seca. They've eliminated a chicane after the "chute"(the new straight section)....there's so many tight turns on this track it didn't really need one more anyway. There is a lot of concrete barriers, but it's a slower-speed track, so they're not terribly intimidating. Lots of good passing zones and lots of twisty-turny stuff....your forearms will be sore afterwards.
Nice flag-stations with shady "gazebos". There's plenty of nice spots for spectating too. Our photog said there was plenty of good spots for action shots. We had to tape down a timing strip for the transponders....I heard the permenant one is installed but not hooked up (not sure what that means?).
The proper way to get good speed on the main straight is to get the four slow-speed turns preceding it *just right* (around the "bus stop"). Especially with small-bore cars like my Spridget. You'll *know* when you've got it right....it's pretty neat.
We used the alternate pit-in. Exit is best if you hand-signal your intent, since you'll be going slower, but this is true on most tracks. Re-entry on the pit-out seemed fine as long as you have a worker to "clear" you for re-entry onto the track (again, the norm). The "normal" pit-in is on the kink in the main straight and might require some heavy braking in a high-speed zone. I think that's why we chose not to use it.
My overall opinion: a steep "learning curve" but a very rewarding track.

Track Map (we used the green area):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Summit_04/Shenandoah_track.jpg