PDA

View Full Version : more tech questions

Khammitte
03-29-2005, 06:47 AM
I am attending the drivers school in April at NHIS and am trying to make the needed modifications to my wife's BMWCCA club racing prepared 1988 M3 to pass tech. Besides the fuel sampling valve, disconnecting the ABS, and disabling the steering lock, is there anything else that should be done? I also have this from the NARRC rules:

ALL ENTRANTS MUST have in their possession, and available to tech personnel or the Chief Steward, the "Series Rulebooks and specification sheets" (IMSA Rulebook, SCCA Pro Racing rulebook, Pro-Rally rulebook, etc.) and an official manufacturer's shop manual(s) to authenticate the vehicle in
its state/condition of preparation.

Does anyone know where I get this stuff?

Thanks
Keith H

dickita15
03-29-2005, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Khammitte:
I am attending the drivers school in April at NHIS and am trying to make the needed modifications to my wife's BMWCCA club racing prepared 1988 M3 to pass tech.

the problem is i am not sure what the bmw rules are but lets assume you are running in ITE. you need a scca legal cage, window net, proper racing seat, kill switch, and fire bottle as speced by the gcr. the lack of these things will keep you from running the school
you also need fuel port, steering lock fixed and tow hooks. these type of problem usually get you a fix by next event notation.

Originally posted by Khammitte:
I also have this from the NARRC rules:

ALL ENTRANTS MUST have in their possession, and available to tech personnel or the Chief Steward, the "Series Rulebooks and specification sheets" (IMSA Rulebook, SCCA Pro Racing rulebook, Pro-Rally rulebook, etc.) and an official manufacturer's shop manual(s) to authenticate the vehicle in
its state/condition of preparation.

in your case this would be a copy of the bmw rules that the car was preped to. you will not need this for the school.
dick

Khammitte
03-29-2005, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the reply. The car has everything you listed, with the possible exception of the tow hooks (it has intregal hooks, but I am not sure they will fit a 3" strap. Can I assume the lack of a "official manufacturer's shop manual" will not prevent me from running in the school?

Keith H

Greg Amy
03-29-2005, 09:48 AM
Keith,

Welcome aboard. You'll have a blast (we'll come by and welcome you there, too. Tell us your car number and color.)

Tow hooks are 2" requirements. I believe the factory hooks meet the rules. Are you planning on going to the annual tech session this weekend at Shine Racing (you definitely should)? If so, ask there.

Lack of a factory manual will no preclude you from the school. They only become mandatory for competition and only then during tech and protests.

To reiterate what Dick said, since you're participating in a driver's school, do not worry about vehicle preparation requirements except in areas of safety. SCCA does not enforce prep rules in driver's schools for things such as class eligibility; we are primarily concerned that the car is safe.

Once you've completed your school requirements and are ready to compete, *then* you can worry about class eligibility (are you planning on racing that Sunday?) Even so, since it appears you'll be in ITE (M3s are not classified in ITS), everyone pretty much looks the other way with this class, for the most part. I wouldn't even disconnect the ABS. If you're safe, you're probably fine.

Make sure your car meets all the safety requirements, and enjoy the weekend! - GA

Blix
03-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Keith...a quick way around the tow hook issue is to go and get a couple of "climbing runners" from your local EMS, REI, or whatever climbing store. Loop them though the factory tow hooks and tape them to the bumper. The total cost of this is about $8, and two peices of racers tape. Or you could spend $140 for a set of turner motorsports tow hooks...but the last time I looked at a turner SWC car...they had climbing runners on em. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

Khammitte
03-29-2005, 12:30 PM
thanks for all the replies. I will not be able to make the Shine racing Tech---cage guy will not be finished.

I doubt if they will sign me off for Sunday's race, do they ever do that? I have about 70 track days with drivers schools and time trials, but no other racing experience.

My plan is to eventually prepare my 1990 325is to run in ITS, or go Spec Miata, I really have not decided yet.

I like the REI idea--thanks

Keith H

Greg Amy
03-29-2005, 01:18 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...I will not be able to make the Shine racing Tech...</font>

Then get to NHIS PROMPTLY on Thursday afternoon, and be the first in the tech line at 7:00 PM sharp. Your car will be required to go through a thorough safety inspection, including measuring rollcage tubing size and wall thickness (be sure to drill the mandatory inspection holes), seats, belts, and so forth. "New logbook" inspections take a lot more time than the recurring annual inspections, and you will *NOT* have time to babysit that on Friday morning.

When you get up on Friday morning you will want to be dressed and ready to go; your day will be very busy and you do not want that hanging over your head.

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">I doubt if they will sign me off for Sunday's race, do they ever do that?</font>

Only with prior competition experience. I suggest you spend your Sunday afternoon volunteering to work with F&C or some other specialty; it's a great way to learn.

emwavey
03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Hi...

I just finished a school this past March and went through annual tech about a week prior. Needless to say I'm a newbie, but this stuff is kind of fresh in my mind.

If you can find a tech day somewhere, I'd highly recommend going. It will save you quite a bit of time at the school. If you can bring a crew member with you, perferably someone who is familiar with the SCCA, it helps greatly.

Inspection is both about your car and about your "gear". Helmet, suit, gloves, shoes and socks.

Also when you purchase the SCCA club racing rule book (the bible), you'll see in there some info about numbers and decals and stickers. You'll need 3 club racing stickers, one on each side and one in the front. You'll also need an SCCA Club Racing patch on your "monkee" suit.

Good luck and have fun... don't forget to study the flags!

-dave
#29 ITA