PDA

View Full Version : 3/20 School at Summit

MadFrog
03-21-2005, 03:49 PM
What a fun weekend that was. First and foremost, big thanks to Gregg Ginsberg and the J&L Automotive Crew, and the fans. You guys were awesome and kicked major ass all weekend. No way I could have gone through the school without ya. You handled 3 civics, 1 CRX, and one Rabbit for two days, and didn't even bitch about it much. Major :thumbup:
I passed the school, which was the most important and learned much about driving and racing. Goal met. I also learned a few other things:

- 225 Hoosiers really do not quite fit in the rear of the civic (at least on 14 and 15 wheels) - they rub, and if you forget to completely roll a fender, they will get sliced up...
- Brand new stainless steel brake lines can fail if there is a wheel weight rubbing on them.
- Bring spare underwear in case the aforementioned brake line POPS when you are trying to brake deep for turn one.
- It's good to have spares. In addition to the brake line popping, the master cylinder was bad. Big props to the crew for changing all that so quick I didn't miss a single minute of track time. Did I mention :thumbup: ?
- Gravel traps will stop you in a hurry, and destroy your air-dam, and fill the car full of f...ing gravel. Thanks corner workers, another big ass :thumbup:
- Cobalt brake pads are awesome. After a full HPDE weekend at VIR and a full racing school (total of over 300 race miiles) the pads are barely half worn, if that much.

The car otherwise ran great. I do have some work to do though. I seem to have a bad pilot or throw-out bearing. Bummer. I need to take care of my brake lines since I currently have 3 steel and one rubber line. I need to straighten out my tire situation. I have 3 good R3S04 225s, 4 good Toyo 205s and 4 worn out hard R3S03s 225. I think I am going to run 225 in front and 205 in the rear.

The practice starts and short race were interesting, and frustrating. Something must have happened in front, because the car in front of me slammed on his brakes at the green flag and wasn't moving. By the time I got around, I was nearly dead last. Second start, i got jammed up and couldn't really gain much, if any.
On the race start, I got a decent start and found a hole so that i got back to the middle of the field. I then proceeded to crank the boost and start catching up to the other ITA cars (I was running a couple of second faster). By the time the race ended, I had the ITA pack in sight. Dave (emwavey) won the ITA group, and did an awesome job all weekend. He was getting faster and faster, and is very safe on track. We had some fun a few times during the practice sessions. Two wide through the carousel was a lot of fun.

As a whole, I really enjoyed the weekend. I met Jon Marefkha who was there crewing for a friend of his, and a bunch of other cool people. Had some fun with Beno on track as well since his car was put in ITA despite having been reclassed in ITB. Put the man in the right class, and he'll be damn hard to catch.

I need to find another 3-4 seconds to run with the big boys at the front, but 1:31s should at least keep me in the pack, so when i can start racing there'll be some people around to play with.

My instructor, Sean Thompson was a really cool guy, who despite not knowing much about FWD, gave me a lot of really good information, tips and tactics. Another :thumbup: there.

I highly recommend this racing school to anyone who wants to go racing, regardless of the sanctioning body.

spnkzss
03-21-2005, 05:41 PM
Appreciate the koodos. It was interesting working on all those cars. Luckly there where 3 in one group and the other 2 in another group. I didn't think I'd have to do 2 master cylinders in one weekend, not including the brake line, disributor (which wasn't a distributor problem), Flipper's demise on it's "Return", missing a calliper bolt mistaken for a warped rotor, and Kevin hitting the wall in turn 10 on the last lap of the race. It was definitly a weekend to remember. Had a good time tho.

Congrads on the weekend and thanks again.

Spanky
#??? ITC Honda Civic WDCR

mgyip
03-21-2005, 05:58 PM
Glad you had a good time - knowing the amount of effort that Gregg and Spanky put into the cars they were supporting, I was glad to hide and quietly support the one RX-7 that Bob drove. Knowing the drivers from J&L Automotive, I'm REALLY glad I'm not in ITC http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

Seriously CONGRATULATIONS to the bunch of ya!! You did a great job driving and were fortunate to have such a great crew supporting your efforts.

Gregg
03-21-2005, 07:26 PM
So as to not incriminate myself, just read the next post. :-)

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited March 21, 2005).]

Gregg
03-21-2005, 07:28 PM
Glad to see you two do so well this weekend. As I explained previously, it is a very intense two days (far more than any HPDE and most race weekends too) where the driver needs to be focused on one thing and one thing only--his driving. Luckily I had Spanky, Thomas Jordan (EV volunteer and Straightpipe editor), Mssr. Yip a cast of other nutjobs and a great chef in Mrs. Blue to help get thru the weekend.

Your progress from Saturday AM thru the race yesterday was immense and very noticeable. Although I didn't fill you in (didn't want you to get a big head like Yip) I did receive a lot of very positive comments about your on-track skills and decision making. Both you and Dave (emwavey -- who won the ITA race) will both make fine racers! I look forward to going door-to-door with you.

If there is one thing I learned this weekend, it's that my spares package needs a serious upgrade. Let's just say I'll never throw an OEM brake line away ever again. In fact, they're coming off of my parts car this weekend.

Oh, and Sebastien, puhleeze believe me when I say I **never** want to use that wheel/lugnut combo ever again.

------------------
Gregg Ginsberg
http://www.ginsberg.org
'89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA #72
WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited March 21, 2005).]

turboICE
03-22-2005, 03:51 PM
It was a good weekend and brings me one step closer to expanding my race event choices for 2005. Need to do what I can to make NHIS and wrap up the schools. Definitely could not be done without a crew, I did luckily fall into a replacement with a buddy of mine coming down.

The worker coverage was phenominal! The quantity and quality of the workers really stood out to make the competitive conditions safe. Thanks for coming out and being in harms way for our benefit!

The instructor coverage of two students per instructor was dynamite. The course rides without helmets and at speeds that permitted conversation was a huge positive. Despite the number of times I have been on SP, I guarantee that the instructor and rides garnered me at least a second over the weekend and more to come in the future. Definitely leaving a lot of speed at 3 and 10, and probably a fair amount leading into 8/9. Nothing about the car would prevent a 1:30 so it would be up for me to get there.

Some interesting moments in big bore from backing off a battle into 1 and almost getting around the competitor when he got sideways just to get hit when he snapped back around, to the terrier chicane later on Sunday. I know I came in close and hard sometimes and squeezed into some places, hopefully to no one's irritation.

No bondo came off, bent metal from the turn one incident was insignificant and for once there were no mechanical repairs needed over the weekend.

Can't wait to finish up the schools and get into the serious schooling of being walked by the MARRS ITA crew.

Ed.
White 1989 240SX ITA
#97 @ WDCR spring driver's school

[This message has been edited by turboICE (edited March 22, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by turboICE (edited March 22, 2005).]

stevel
03-22-2005, 05:54 PM

[This message has been edited by stevel (edited March 22, 2005).]

stevel
03-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by stevel:
sounded like a fun weekend! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
-------------------------------------
http://www.swltech.net/gallery/

rallyvolvo
03-22-2005, 07:53 PM
The weekend was great. I can't really say how the DC region school compares to other regions as my two schools were right here at Summit Point, but I do know I learned an awful lot over the weekend. The experiance was only dampened by having to change out a transmission on "Sven" Sunday morning. Expensive noises got louder throughout first session, until I finally pulled in. Quick phone call home and I had another trans on the way. (I have a shedfull of early Volvo parts.) While I did have a crew, I did the swap myself as there was no one else who could do that kind of work anywhere near as quick as I can. So in the end, I only missed two sessions, and got it done before the lunch break.

In the practice race I ended up starting on the pole as the original pole sitter had a flat tire minutes before we left the grid. Using the Volvo's torque I managed to pull out large leads on all three starts. Interesting talking to the Spec RX7 driver who was besided me on the second and third starts, and how he was trying to get me to match his speed coming up to the flag. Of course I kept us where I was at 4K rpm in second so I could get a nice launch when the flag fell. Apparantly that was just a bit below his power band.

I was passed by a Miata going into lap two. Apparantly he was a little put off by the smoke from me locking up the right front tirein an attempt to brake with him, (I think my corner wieghts are off) and he held wide providing me an opening to skate the 142 inside him. This didn't work since I clipped the curbing which un-weighted the car enough to lock the wheels up again sending me careening into him. I left a nice marker light shaped dent in his passenger door... In the remaining laps only two other Miata's got by me, and I ended the race in 4th place. I had to fight to keep the 5th place Miata from latching onto my draft and sling shoting around me. But he also had an RX7 trying to get around him which kept him from concentrating on getting around me. All in all it was fun times. I recommend anyone who is thinking about a school to seriously consider attending in October. And a big thanks to all the workers and instructors who helped put it on. Now to prepare for this coming weekends DC Region RallyCross School where I'm an instructor, not a student. http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

-Nick

[This message has been edited by rallyvolvo (edited March 22, 2005).]

ShelbyRacer
03-22-2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by MadFrog:
- Gravel traps will stop you in a hurry, and destroy your air-dam, and fill the car full of f...ing gravel. Thanks corner workers, another big ass :thumbup:

A note from experience-
The little 2 gallon shop-vac thing from Sears is the best $30 you'll ever spend if you do wind up in the peas... We haven't neede mine yet, but the reason why I have one is because we had to borrow someone else's at one point... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/frown.gif

------------------
Matt Green
"Ain't nothin' improved about Improved Touring..."

straightpipe
03-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words (regarding J&L Automotive, I could care less about Gregg(J/K)). My usual post @ Summit Point is in a tow truck, pulling people back into the paddock when they have brake failures, etc. Due to the fact that I was sicker than I've been in years, I decided to hang around and help out with the cars, so it was no problem throwing in a new master cylinder, changing a brake line, and bleeding the brakes 2.5 times. Unfortunately, I spent the entire day Sunday in bed back at worker camping. By the time I felt well enough to venture back out into the paddock, everyone was cleaning up to go home. Glad you were able to get through the school without missing any track time, glad I could help. And watch out if Yip ever volunteers to help work on your car. You have to be careful to make sure you remove the pedal extensions after he's done.

emwavey
03-23-2005, 10:24 AM
Yes major kudos to Gregg and Spanky for keeping our cars (bucket o' bolts) on the track. The car was always ready, even if I wasn't.

You know it's funny, I was just sitting here minding my own business when I got a mental wiff of cooked brake fluid and rubber. The smell really complements coffee in the morning.

-dave
8)
#29 ITA

spnkzss
03-23-2005, 11:58 AM
With all of the thanks to us, I wanted to thank the women that kept us fed and motivated to continuue. Some of them even kept me drugged up enough to continuue. Tired of being sick.

Spanky
#??? ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

mgyip
03-23-2005, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by straightpipe:
And watch out if Yip ever volunteers to help work on your car. You have to be careful to make sure you remove the pedal extensions after he's done.

Y'all are too-tall freaks of nature (I'm the same height and stature as one of my heros, Colin Chapman)...

One interesting tidbit from the school - aside from the obvious influx of Wreck Pinatas was the entry of 10 ITA cars!! Unfortunately they all look faster than my car but that's OK - I'm working on my grapling hook for next season http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

Gregg
03-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by mgyip:
Unfortunately they all look faster than my car but that's OK - I'm working on my grapling hook for next season http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif
Looks are usually deceiving. In this case they weren't. Making that grappling hook should be a bit easier w/ the new tow hook rules.

mlytle
03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
how come matt was looking at the brakes on the new ita cars and kickin' their back bumpers? http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

marshall

Gregg
03-23-2005, 11:32 PM
'Cause they were all at eye-level. :rimshot:

:-P

spnkzss
03-24-2005, 09:24 AM
Shouldn't Yip be excited about all the RX7's out there? O that's right, ITC gets to use them as brakes now.

Spanky
#??? ITC '90 Honda Civic WDCR

mgyip
03-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by mlytle:
how come matt was looking at the brakes on the new ita cars and kickin' their back bumpers? http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

I was just checking the brakes, honest. I still prefer RX7 brakes to CRX brakes (too hard on the bodywork) or 944 brakes (too effective) - besides, RX7s have nice big solid bumpers to help slow the General Li at critical turns.

For next year I'm considering that 3M Clear Bra tape for my windshield to avoid items thrown from certain black and purple ITS cars http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif