PDA

View Full Version : drivers school question

dazzlesa
03-11-2005, 01:56 PM
can a licensed driver do a school? if so how does it work? you follow along as if you were going for your license?

Andy Bettencourt
03-11-2005, 02:29 PM
I have sen many a licensed driver do a school. In the past, they have only been allowed in if there was room...meaning nobody needing a school got bumped because there were licensed drivers taking up seats.

I would also assume that you would follow the exact same curriculum as the students - no special anything - its a learning event.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

mlytle
03-11-2005, 02:32 PM
it depends upon the region. some allow it, some don't.

joeg
03-11-2005, 05:28 PM
In the NE, all pretty much allow (and encourage) it.

It's advertised as great track time and it can be very helpful for the instructors.

mlytle
03-11-2005, 08:59 PM
dc region does not.

lateapex911
03-11-2005, 10:55 PM
In the NE, it is customary to ID yourself as a lic. driver, and stand aside if the school is full so that a real student dowsn't miss a chance.

Also, some don't like the idea of running out there with ...lets put this diplomatically....guys they don't know.

http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

mlytle
03-13-2005, 10:31 PM
very diplomatic jake! http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif

emwavey
03-14-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by mlytle:
dc region does not.

Are you sure?... I'm registered and have a double school from last year.

-dave
8)

disquek
03-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Why do you think wdcr does not allow it?

I registered and have a national license. I was very clear that I had a national, and no one ever even suggested that I couldn't take the school.

-Kyle

mlytle
03-14-2005, 09:58 PM
did you guys read the supplementals for the event? first para, eligibility....."open to scca members not currently licensed for scca club racing and who have a scca novice permit."

[This message has been edited by mlytle (edited March 14, 2005).]

theracinglawyer
03-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Washington DC region for some reason does not allow licensed drivers to take a drivers school. You should check so you will not be disappointed once you get there. Drop a note to Beth Mills, she is very helpful and can lead you in the right direction. at [email protected]

Mike cefalo

------------------
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN
Love "the commander"
Mike Cefalo

dazzlesa
03-15-2005, 04:42 PM
good point about the novice drivers jake.to run for the narrc championship i have to go to nhis.i never have been fond of the track and i have never been there in a competitive car so i need some track time.making a special trip for a test day is a bitch from nyc.rick

emwavey
03-15-2005, 09:36 PM
....."open to scca members not currently licensed for scca club racing and who have a scca novice permit."

I think I fall into that category, but I'm still waiting to hear back from Beth and Marty on this matter... I do really want to go!

I have a double school from last February, over a year ago, but did not race... personal stuff came up. Technically I'm not a "licensed" driver, but I could enter a race if I wanted to with the novice permit, right? I'd just rather spend the extra 400 bucks and get a refresher.

For what it's worth, thanks for potentially saving me a 6 hour round trip and who knows how much on gas... hotel, etc.

-dave
8)

[This message has been edited by emwavey (edited March 15, 2005).]

mlytle
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM
if you still are under a novice permit, you should be able to do the school. get the final word from beth or marty!

great idea to do the refresher before a race, especially if all you have done is a double school. each wdcr single school is roughly equivalent to most others "double" schools.

only downside is that if you end up getting "un" signed off... be good, drive safe, sane and show some proper agression.

what car will you be in? i am the its drivers rep for wdcr and will be at the school.

marshall

emwavey
03-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi Marshall,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll be driving an ITA CRX. I'm somewhat in contact with Gregg about a crew issue.

Seemed like at Roebling it was a battle of attrition. Most of it was in the rain. The school last year was in a "rented / borrowed" first gen RX-7. My pace, admittedly, was a little slow, but I managed to keep increasing lap times throughout the weekend without any offs.

I'm excited about driving my own car though. I'm familiar with the "platform", had a CRX for 10 years, but green with this level of "preparedness" (fwd race car).

Looking forward to meeting some folks that I'll be eventually racing with.

-dave
8)

[This message has been edited by emwavey (edited March 15, 2005).]

mlytle
03-16-2005, 01:32 PM
welcome to our run group dave! its and ita run together in the marrs series. i will be watching for you sunday! yellow/blue crx #29?

marshall
marrs its #64, black/purple bmw

turboICE
03-17-2005, 02:46 PM
My crew unexpectedly dropped this weekend for personal reasons, is there anyone available to crew a 240sx for this weekend's WDCR school?

Ed.

[This message has been edited by turboICE (edited March 17, 2005).]

Gregg
03-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by turboICE:
My crew unexpectedly dropped this weekend for personal reasons, is there anyone available to crew a 240sx for this weekend's WDCR school?

If I didn't already have three ITC cars (Group 1) and two ITA cars (Group 3) on my plate I'd be glad to. Sorry. I'll do a little checking around as you *really* do need crew to get thru the WDCR school. Surely you must have a friend who has an unquenched desire to journey to WVA, can tighten lugnuts, put air in tires, fill the gas tank, and do a head gasket replacement in 40min or less. :-)

------------------
Gregg Ginsberg
http://www.ginsberg.org
'89 CRX Si -- MARRS ITA #72
WDCR-SCCA Rookie of the Year 2003

[This message has been edited by Gregg (edited March 17, 2005).]

turboICE
03-18-2005, 02:12 AM
It's a truck engine it doesn't need any stinkin' head gasket. Though it would be nice if I could get through a weekend without having to reweld the header. All my favors were used up getting the car back in shape after its 3.5 hour enduro debacle a couple weeks ago so I could make this school. Header just went back on.

When I get up I will continue my search. Hopefully it works out, if not then my race schedule will be much easier to plan with one race body instead of two. (I have been told I am too high strung and worried about stuff and to lighten up - inside I am really spazzing.)

[This message has been edited by turboICE (edited March 18, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by turboICE (edited March 18, 2005).]

stevel
03-18-2005, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by mlytle:
did you guys read the supplementals for the event? first para, eligibility....."open to scca members not currently licensed for scca club racing and who have a scca novice permit."

[This message has been edited by mlytle (edited March 14, 2005).]

not all supps are created equal. NER school supps dont' mention that.

steve

mlytle
03-18-2005, 01:48 PM
that is why you have to read the supps for the event you are entering..... http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/wink.gif

the people i was responding to appeared to be entering the wdcr event, so i quoted the wdcr supps.

mlytle
03-21-2005, 02:15 PM
nice job at the school dave! made some great moves in the practice starts!!

marshall
was cheering from turn one with gregg.

emwavey
03-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Thanks Marshall!

I had a great time. I'm working on a little write up, but I'm just waiting for a few photos before I post it.

Does anyone know how to get in contact with the dude taking photos during the weekend. I think he snapped about 5 of my car, and I'd love to use them for the article.

It was cool to drive, but what made the experience the best was having folks like you and Gregg, Dave and Fay Teal, Bill Davis and JD King all routing along. It truely is a nice community.

I hope I'm able to give back as much as I've received.

-dave
8) #29 ITA