PDA

View Full Version : HOT HEAD

67ITB
03-02-2005, 09:36 PM
I am looking to see if any New England racers feel the need to use one of those forced air-cooling helmets? If so does it helps to keep the entire body cool? Or just keep your face cool? And if a cooling shirt would be a better investment.

I would guess that the “Cool Shirt” might do a better job at keeping the core cool. But would like to hear from people that have tried either(or both).
Or am I just being overly paranoid about the heat in the car and its not needed?

Thanks
Matt Bal

gran racing
03-03-2005, 09:03 AM
I thought it was very interesting to hear how many pro racers still use a zip lock bag with ice, and pin it to the inside of the suit near their heart.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

dave parker
03-03-2005, 03:33 PM
Matt
The forced air(FA)helmets do work. But they only force air around the head. If you remember back to your boy scout camping days you will recall that you lose about 25% of your body heat from your head(It always seemed that my scout troop went camping in the dead of winter). Now, armed with that knowledge, we can see that a a FA style helmet will keep the head cooler, as long as the air being forced into the helmet is cool air not hot air.
The "Cool Shirt" trademark of Shaffer enterprises out of Georgia, or the "Cool Suit" trademark of Fresh Air Systems out of Illinois work to cool the torso from the waist up. The mindset behind this is that to cool the body you must first cool down the core organs(heart, lungs, liver,kidneys,etc). To achieve real cooling of the body you must bring the core temperature down, cooling just the head does not bring the core temperature down. This is where the shirt style systems work much better than the helmet blower type systems.
I have used both, When i have to have cooling i prefer to have the shirt style system as it effectively cools the whole body(not just the head).
If you are getting out of the car drenched in sweat or ready to pass out/faint than you should be looking closely at a cooling system. Heat will definately effect your performance.
If you have more questions please feel free to ask.
cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

ilateapex
03-03-2005, 04:10 PM
I use the ziplok with ice and made some t-shirts with a big pocket in the center to hold the bag. Worked great (almost too great). I felt much more refreshed after long stints in the car.

Michael

lateapex911
03-03-2005, 08:41 PM
Ok, maybe this will seem harsh, but for our races, why bother? I did the 3 hour in the warmth of about 80 or 85, and it wasn't too bad at all. I had a drink tube and that seemed fine.

I'm in fair shape, and I don't mind the heat, but for most of our races up here, I really think its overkill.

How many of the NASCAR guys use them?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

16v
03-03-2005, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:

How many of the NASCAR guys use them?

most of them use some sort of system

gran racing
03-03-2005, 10:47 PM
For me it isn't bad when racing and getting air circulated. The worst part is sitting on grid in 90 degree heat while things get delayed.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

gran racing
03-03-2005, 10:48 PM
burp

[This message has been edited by gran racing (edited March 04, 2005).]

dickita15
03-04-2005, 08:33 AM
I agree with dave. I have always had a problem with fumes so i use a helmet blower. nmot chilled though just fresh air. most usefull on grid but not a bad thing all the time.
dick patullo

dyoungre
03-04-2005, 01:19 PM
My biggest motivation for cooling is to improve vision - too much sweat in the eyes. Fumes in the eyes is also a problem, which leads me to ask:
Dick - where do you do you think is the best place to mount air intake to avoid fumes? our dryer duct in the passenger window worked pretty well, but I could imagine protests for running a partial window.

------------------
Dave Youngren
NER ITA RX7 #61

Matt Rowe
03-04-2005, 01:29 PM
Section 9.1 of the ITCS does allow for ducting in the driver or passenger window as long as it does not "fill in the window area." That's open to some interpretation but as long as you're reasonable about the size of the duct you've got a rule to stand on.

I would stick with the passenger side window since the rule specifically allows it and it's the least like to interfere with getting out of the car. In a hurry or otherwise.

------------------
~Matt Rowe
ITA Shelby Charger
MARRS #96

dave parker
03-04-2005, 01:54 PM
A quick phone call to Fresh Air Systems(one of my vendors) informs me that the NASCAR guys are NOT running the shirt style systems.
They are however using air conditioning systems of one type or another.
The main reason given for not using the shirt style systems is weight. It seems that the 30 amp draw on the alternator to the a/c unit is acceptable whereas the additional weight of the cooler with ice is not.
Interesting.....
cheers
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97

lateapex911
03-04-2005, 09:48 PM
One the other hand, nobody rtells you WHERE you have to put the cooler, and lots of guys underweight would LOVE a little movable ballast....

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

67ITB
03-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Dave, Mike, Dave, Jake, Dave, Dick, Doug, and Matt( and I thought Matt was a common name I think those David’s got us beat)

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it.

I still need to make a decision on this but some of the things I think are clearer now are that
1. Its most useful while sitting on grid, and running endures or longer races and test days when I would be spending a considerable amount of time in the car.
2. Cooling the core is preferred over the head (I assumed that was the case)
3. Fumes are not a problem in my car (or I never noticed them)
4. Weight is not an issue as the car is light, and I am heavy (very heavy)

Thanks again for all your help

Matt Bal

gran racing
03-05-2005, 10:19 AM
How big of a cooler can I use? And can I put beer in it for after the race?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

dave parker
03-06-2005, 02:20 PM
The cooler for your cool suit is an excellent place to store that post race impound frosty adult beverage.
Make sure that you stand outside the impound area while sipping your beverage http://ITForum.ImprovedTouring.com/smile.gif.
Cheers!
dave parker
wdcr ITC#97