PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting worker volunteers...

gran racing
10-15-2004, 02:12 PM
Before this gets lost in the other LRP discussion, thought it would make sense to create its own topic...

“Another important item on tonight's agenda: ideas for recruiting worker volunteers. There is a growing groundswell of opinion that we the drivers should play a bigger role in not only working ourselves once in awhile (perish the thought!), but attracting the volunteers who make it possible for us to pursue the sport. This is your chance to toss around ideas.”

gran racing
10-15-2004, 02:14 PM
-Jake, hopefully you don't mind that I copied this over here-

I know this won't be popular.. But...SCCA racing is pretty cheap considering what you get. Lots of workers, and good insurance. Most, not all, other clubs fall short in one area or the other. Now the unpopular part... there are more and more clubs operating out there. Thye need workers. They pay the workers. "Our" workers. Maybe we should to. At least sometning...what if entries included a mandatory $25 worker fee? Divide up at the end of each day amongst the workers...lets see...25 x 200 = 5000, thats $2500 per day of a two day weekend. A Friday worker would get $50 if there were 50 workers. Details would need to be hammered out, but a slight entry increase would go a long way...and Friday events might be easier to staff.

Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gran racing
10-15-2004, 02:35 PM
- Why do the majority of people volunteer?
- For other race organizations, what attracts their "staff"?
- For people that do not volunteer, what are the common reasons?
- What would make people want to voluteer?

I'm not so sure that the motivation is financial.

While growing up, my father and I went to lime rock a few times a year. He contacted a few groups (may not have been SCCA, not sure) about volunteering at their events. Each time he was given the cold shoulder and eventually gave up. I too would have loved to be involved growing up! The point is that there are people out there who would be interested in volunteering, but they just are not aware the opportunity exists.

My belief is that there should be more focus on recruiting outside of the existing SCCA structure. By the way, how many boy scouts were at the last race? ~1,500 (not sure if this includes parents or not) Yes I know, that event is passed but could be a good opportunity. Maybe contact the boy scouts organization itself.

I would hate to see entry fees raised by much more. But I think that $5 - $10 would seen as o.k. as long people realize that this money is being directed towards the workers. Racing is already expensive enough.

Could there be any different levels of SCCA membership created? Why does a person that volunteers and does not race have to pay the same membership fee?

In some ways it is too bad that multiple regions cover the same tracks. For many, the race schedule is dictated by the track not by the region hosting the race. I'll admit that this is the leading factor I personally am not very involved in the NER. Most of my racing is done at LRP which has several regions that run these races. (Not to mention I do not care for NHIS) I am sure the people you could attract to work at LRP would not be as receptive to going up to NHIS and vice versa due to proximity.

Alright, I'll stop now. I realize this will be discussed tonight. Sounds like it will be an interesting meeting - wish I could make it.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

jhooten
10-15-2004, 03:05 PM
50 bonus points to any regional driver that works national race.

Scott Koschwitz
10-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Dave, good idea about moving the thread. This is an important topic to discuss now, and is just as important as discussions about the 2005 schedule.

For me, I was attracted to volunteering to get closer to racing. I have always been a car nut, but in 2000, I decided I wanted to do more with cars. Motorsports was it.

So, I joined the SCCA in 2000, with the idea to autocross, and eventually road race. I could not afford to race at the time, so I volunteered to flag to get a close view of racing, to confirm whether I truly wanted to race.

I simply called Russ Horton, F&C Chief at the time, at the number listed on the inside cover of "Pit Talk." I asked what I should wear and bring, and just showed up at a regional at Lime Rock, without knowing anyone. It's not easy walking into a bunch of more-experienced strangers and learning on the fly, but everyone was friendly and willing to instruct, so I kept coming back.

As I said in my post in the other thread, I think the most important thing is to show appreciation to the workers. We can't just assume they will be there every race weekend. I make a point to include $10 towards the worker fund for every race I run. I would not have a problem if we went from a voluntary contribution to a mandatory one.

Second, we can't assume the workers will be there in the sense that they get older, relocate, or find other activities. In that sense, we must continuously try to attract new volunteers: look for people like me, who eventually want to race; find those who just want to get closer to racing; find the "adrenalin junkies" who would be attracted to flagging or medical response.

I think this will require having a presence (through an information booth) at events like Race-A-Rama, spectator events at the local tracks, and scout weekend at Lime Rock. (My brother remembers flagging the races on scout weekend when he was in the Boy Scouts. Can we allow volunteer scouts a chance to work a corner?)

Can we promote the Nickel Tour more? Would allowing track tours after races entice more people?

If we don't find a solution to the volunteer issue, be prepared to start paying flaggers as a regular cost of the entry fee.

tdw6974
10-15-2004, 09:26 PM
To get more people involved they need to know about what goes on and its sure hard to atract anyone when they can't come and watch. Sure I know they can come in as over crew, experience standing in line at regstration with limited hours and make sure they understand they will need Id and patience. I don't know why some can't be spectator races at the regional level so people can attend (wonder if is has to do with the current legal climate) How can we promote the sport and involvement if nobody can see us?? I spent from 1979 among the ranks of Volunteers until 2001 when I switched over to truck Driver for My son so He can participate in ITA. I still try and help in Tech when I can. Of course some tracks are not "fan friendlY" and some are. I have suggested that at least at Watkins Glen that at least we have some spectator area like they do for nascar Tire test when they charge $5.00 for access to outside of turn 1. might Help some. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi Haulin' Rotary"

RKramden
10-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by tdw6974:
To get more people involved they need to know about what goes on and its sure hard to atract anyone when they can't come and watch. Sure I know they can come in as over crew, experience standing in line at regstration with limited hours and make sure they understand they will need Id and patience. I don't know why some can't be spectator races at the regional level so people can attend (wonder if is has to do with the current legal climate) How can we promote the sport and involvement if nobody can see us?? I spent from 1979 among the ranks of Volunteers until 2001 when I switched over to truck Driver for My son so He can participate in ITA. I still try and help in Tech when I can. Of course some tracks are not "fan friendlY" and some are. I have suggested that at least at Watkins Glen that at least we have some spectator area like they do for nascar Tire test when they charge $5.00 for access to outside of turn 1. might Help some. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

Most of the races ARE spectator races. Thats one reason why LRP's costs are higher. Spectator races require more guards, ticket takers, insurance, etc.

Also, there is a deal for temp memberships (good for 3 months) such that they are FREE, for the first one. If the person also gets a full membership after that, there is a discount, IIRC. This is better than being a spectator, in that you don't have to pay anything to get in, except help out in some area.

With a temp membership in hand, anyone can fill out a form and have a regional license in the area of their choice(s). Try them all! Try T&S on a rain day. Flag in the sun. Work Tech when it is cold out.

The options are there, you just have to use them.

VTECAcuraGSR
10-16-2004, 09:42 AM
Here are my ideas...

People don't volunteer for nothing. In order for a program to be successful there needs to be rewards and not neccessarily monetary.

Here is what I see each weekend as a spectator. When I see corner workers most appear in their 40 and 50's and many times their wife is with them. We must understand that this demographic is part of the baby boomers and it is already starting to die off. Disclaimer: I am young and mean no offense to some of the older people here. I am just talking about what I see. Please do not take offense.

Back on topic, people want rewards when they volunteer and I would vote against a workers fund. Here is what I do suggest!

- A feeder series so to speak for workers. "For every X weekends you work as a worker you will be invited to work at the SCCA pro series weekend. People want to be involved with SCCA Pro, this is a reward.

-How about all the SCCA non worker members pay an additional $5 for dues to cover the workers so that they are free to be a member provided they work a certain number of weekends?

-They are always wearing those white outfits. Are these provided free of charge from SCCA? How about SCCA subsidize it for working x number of races?

-How about SCCA gives them patches to add to the white uniform after certain accomplishments?

-What about at the pro races have a car, any car, give rides at lunch to the worker that was able to work that race because of working x races. Announce his/her name acknowledging their accomplishments!

To close, it's my belief that the workers are not there for the money. What is $50 bucks? Nothing! We need to create an environment that will bring young people into the program. I do not think I have EVER seen anyone under 30 working an event before...

That's it for me. What do you think?

[This message has been edited by VTECAcuraGSR (edited October 16, 2004).]

Bill Miller
10-16-2004, 12:16 PM
One of the things that EMRA does, is require all racers that are running for seasons points, to work two sessions a year. Not two events, just two sessions. Either as a corner worker, tech inspector, registration, etc. I really like the idea, and I think it gives the drivers a better appreciation of what the workers do.

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

dickita15
10-16-2004, 02:54 PM
bill
while i don't think that the two session policy does anything to help getting the work done I think it is great idea to make drivers appeciate what goes into a race weekend.
dick

Greg Amy
10-16-2004, 07:21 PM
Back in the early-80s I got started with SCCA as a volunteer. I had, at one time, a National F&C license, National T&S license, and I was about to pursue ScruCrew. Those came in handy when it came time to get the "second best seat in the house" for events such as the 1984 Dallas Grand Prix (F1) and the San Antonio Grand Prix (IMSA; ask me some time about the time I drive a Porsche GTP...)

However, my motivations were purely selfish, as my ultimate goal was to drive. I was under the wing of a good guy who channeled my on-street driving aggression to get me interested in autocrossing and F&C; he also knew I would eventually work my way into racing. That is, of course, what happened once the knowledge and finances worked out.

However, I did notice that the vast majority of the folks I worked with rarely had aspirations to drive. Some (especially in T&S, where the only A/C for 150 miles was found) were wives or girlfirends who didn't want to just sit around, others were there just to be there. It's not that they didn't want to drive, it's just that I got the impression they did it for the fun and comraderie as a worker. In fact, there was a pride in and of itself of being a worker, almost as if the drivers were there to provide us with OUR hobby of working races.

This was in a totally different part of the world (SowDiv's Texas Turn Marshalls and Racer Chasers - still have my suit and patches) so the attitudes and motivations may not apply, but I just felt that folks did it because they enjoyed it. Sure, we griped about those elitist drivers (especially the Formula Ford prima donnas) but it was all in fun. We enjoyed the food, the fun, and the friendships.

One thing that I do remember we coveted was the occasional lottery for track riderarounds in race cars. Guys would put seats in their cars (I remember a GT-5 Nissan specifically) and during lunch and/or between breaks the winners would get to ride in a real race car and see what it was like. Another "thank you" item was when a larger team would pay for surprise goodie bags that were passed out during the noon hour to each corner station (we stayed on station during lunch), with items such as team spiffs and/or food, water, and snacks.

Of course, there was the beer parties afterwards where we'd get together and swap stories of the stupidest move of the day. It was also nice to see the drivers there, introducing themselves so we could put a name to a face. We do that up here in the NE, but we as drivers tend to be anonymous; maybe some name tags with driver and car info?

Food for thought.

GA

JLawton
10-17-2004, 06:39 AM
Dave,
Thanks for starting this thread again. I've tried getting discusion on it for the last 9 months!!

My opinion, I know workers aren't totally motivated by money, but I think offering $50 a day to flag can help. If I was a 20 year old really into cars, $50 would get me up to LRP to help out!! And isn't that the age we would be targeting for more help??

How about working with some of the area car clubs that are geared towards the import crowd for recruiting??? Or local tech schools that have large auto shop programs??

I am more than willing to help out to solve this problem, 'cause it could have a serious effect on all of us!!

aeronca65t
10-17-2004, 06:44 AM
Good topic!
One of the things EMRA *just* did was to institute a $50 per-day payment to all pre-registered flaggers (and non pre-registered flaggers will still go in our "workers lottery" and may get a few bucks that way).
We all know that $50 isn't much....but at least it recognizes that flaggers have some out-of-pocket expenses. This helps defray those expenses; flaggers have said that they appreciate this.
For more info on this topic (and contact info, in case you wish to flag for us) go here:

http://www.pliner.net/appmb/74cd5/119061

ulfelder
10-17-2004, 08:55 AM
At the Friday Club Racing Board meeting, we discussed worker recruitment extensively. A couple of board members, including hard-working Dick Patullo, volunteered to put together a framework for doing recruiting sessions in New Hampshire (that's where our big problem is worker-wise; at LRP, we get volunteers from many regions).

I'm sure we will hear more about these plans.

HOWEVER, my fear is that this news may cause us drivers to say, "OK, so *that's* taken care of," and go on our merry way. And frankly, that's not good enough. The recruiting effort described above is another case of the same volunteers who always do everything piling yet another task on their plate. We drivers need to appreciate the effort (and then some!), but we also need to help in a more direct way.

Here is what we at Flatout are doing: we hereby vow to recruit at least one solid, dependable, long-term worker for the 2005 season. By this we don't mean sending a crew member out to work Grid one weekend (not that there's anything wrong with that). We mean that we will think hard about family, friends and acquaintances, and put on a full-court press to get them deeply involved with SCCA.

Naturally, we hope to draft more than one person. But one is a start.

In addition, we are throwing down the gauntlet to all the multi-car teams out there to do the same -- and we extend the challenge to everybody on this forum. The drive is on for racers to DIRECTLY recruit workers in the Northeast.

Steve U
05 ITS
Flatout Motorsports

gran racing
10-17-2004, 09:35 AM
It is too bad there is no simple way to provide transportation to younger potential recruits. (i.e. high school students or even college students who do not have access to transportation)

Has SCCA ever done much at local colleges to recruit workers?

The track drive-arounds is at least something extra. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find drivers that would be willing to take people out.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

RKramden
10-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by gran racing:
The track drive-arounds is at least something extra. I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult to find drivers that would be willing to take people out.

Or make sure the new recruits get stuffed in the back of the pace car for at least one session. Maybe a lap or two to check the track for dirt and stones or oil.

Spending a day in the car is boring, but the IT guys could make it interesting by getting a full course yellow. Not that the IT groups have ever had one of those... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/redface.gif

dickita15
10-17-2004, 06:19 PM
for the record it is Paul Giblin and Peter Perrault that are working up a recruiting event near Nhis, not I. I think they are looking toward a open house type format event.
dick patullo

slepyhed
11-01-2004, 03:52 PM
I know this thread is kind of old, but I feel compelled to comment, because I think I'm the demographic that you guys are trying to target. I'm 32 and I'd like to race someday, but with a 3-year old daughter its hard to find the time/money for that kind of thing right now. For now I've been half-heartedly autocrossing, and I keep thinking about maybe spending more time working races.

Two years ago I did volunteer to work F&C for one weekend. I had fun, even though I had to stand in the cold/wet weather all weekend long. One thing that really made it worthwhile was a brief ride around the track in the pace car. I'd never been on a race track like that before, so it was a big deal to me.

I haven't been back to flag since then, but I've been considering doing it next year. If I knew I would get paid, I'd be there in a heartbeat. It wouldn't even have to be a lot. Conversly, the party on Saturday is a nice gesture, but I've got to get back to my wife and kid, and I've already been away from home all day long with plans to do it again the next day. I just can't stick around for a party like that, sorry.

gran racing
11-01-2004, 04:14 PM
What amount would it have to be to get you more tempted?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

slepyhed
11-02-2004, 11:30 AM
$50 was a figure I'd seen earlier in this thread. That would be enough to tip the balance towards me comming out to flag at NHIS next season. It would cover gasoline, and allow me to take my wife out to dinner in the evening to "make up" for being away from home all day!

ulfelder
11-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Slepyhed, thanks - this specific feedback from one who's flagged before is really valuable.

Steve U
05 ITS

lateapex911
11-02-2004, 02:11 PM
See? I told you! $50 bucks is 50 bucks! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

So I see some great ideas...

1-mo' money....

2-Worker rides in race cars! How cool is that ! I have a seat in my car..I would love to give rides all lunch long... I'd even behave.

3- Name tags...I think we are all one big family, but there is a gap between drivers and others, and the rides and name tags would help connect the two halves. Pictures of our cars on the name tags is critical.

But those points work towards keeping and improving the position...but do little for actual recruiting...

Hmmmm..

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

RacerBill
11-02-2004, 02:58 PM
I know that there have been many positive comments made on this thread. Please bear with me for a moment to relate a very negative experience I had this year. I know that this is not the norm, but it is a very good example of how not to treat volunteers. I am a 20 year member, having worked all those years in several specialties, however, I originally started with SCCA in 1966, again, as a worker. I just recently completed my drivers' school requirements to race, but since the car is not done, I worked most of the races at Mid-Ohio this year. In October (Mid-Ohio in October, right?) I showed up at my workers post and was promptly told by the specialty chief that I was not on their 'list', that they had a full crew and would not be needed. Now, just to let you know how things on the volunteer side work, this person had received at one time, a National Worker of the Year award!

I served as a specialty chief for 18 years and never treated anyone who came out to work that way. I always found a way to get them involved, feel useful and learn something about racing and SCCA. I retired from that specialty after having had to work a complete weekend by myself, and having only one visitor on Saturday from the race committee check to see if I needed anything.

Down off the soap box. I believe that one should not voice negative comments without any positive ones. I remember back in the 60's when I was involved in flagging, we made a really big deal when one of our group received a license upgrade - presentation at the track in front of the whole group. Regions could do this in their newsletters, too. How about National modifying the specialty patches so that the license level (Regional, Divisional, National, Senior) could be added? How about the F&C groups (Lake Erie, IRO) adding this to their patches? BTW, I still have my New York Region Flagmob patch that I got with my first license.

Also, please don't forget all the other specialties besides F&C. They are much less glamorous and probably need more care and feeding.

almracing
11-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Know what can help retain workers and is free? A Thank-You from drivers. I am sure like any volunteer they simply want to be appreciated.

My most memorable Thank-You that I gave was to a flagger. I was a rookie driver and did not notice a much faster car closing in on me. The frantic waving of the blue flag caught my attention and probably saved my butt. I made sure I thanked him for his enthusiastic flag waving.

Anthony R.
ITA #86 NER

RKramden
11-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by RacerBill:

Also, please don't forget all the other specialties besides F&C. They are much less glamorous and probably need more care and feeding.

Might be one of the reasons that some drivers wave to T&S just before they pit at NHIS. Maybe you cannot see in to see who is there, but they have an excelent view of you, and they talk about who waves and who doesn't.

Me, I bring them candy, and on occasion a beer or three at the end of the day.

Pellegrino Family
11-04-2004, 01:59 AM
I have been out of NER for a number of years and would love to get involved again, perhaps as a worker. A lot of things have changed and I'm not sure if corner working would be a good idea for my husband and myself. He is disabled and I have recently had surgery on a leg to be able to walk again. What behind the scenes positions are open at this point? We'd love to help in such a way as to still be able to be involved in spectating Raymond and Stephen's racing where possible. At this time, membership is an issue as the holidays are always a drain on folks and medical bills are high for us. Please feel free to email us with ways that we can be involved to make racing in the NE continue in the way it has for so many years. One area we'd be interested in helping would be to man booths at shows to help recruit workers. I always loved that scene (as you all know when I had my RST booths). At any rate, tell us where we can help.

Trish and Bob

KelleyHux
11-04-2004, 02:56 PM
As you think about recruting, one of the things that has worked well for us in MiDiv (with longer travel distances than some) is to work out a "bed & breakfast" with fellow workers/drivers. In this scenario, those who live close to the track (30-45 mins) have opened their homes and allowed folks to stay for free. Breakfast may be nothing more than grabbing a bagel on the way out the door, but it's another small gesture at reducing the "out of town" costs.

Some drivers in our division will provide a worker transportation and lodging for a weekend in an effort to reduce the costs. The lodging may be just an airbed on the floor of a trailer, or it may be a spare bed in a motel room - but it helps to defray expenses, and provide camraderie on the trip to the track and back.

And, let's face it - our sport becomes much more fun when you know more people and feel like you are truly part of a big family!

Kelley Huxtable
DMVR
"PLAY SAFE"

Pellegrino Family
11-05-2004, 01:10 AM
We live only 10 miles from NHIS and would be happy to open our home for overnight guests from SCCA if need be. Our only down on that is that we ask that alcohol not be brought into our home. Sorry guys, but kicking the habit it tough. The $ idea is great, but where would that come from? Increased entry fees? Aren't entry fees for the drivers pricey as it is? What if a discount were offered to drivers who brought in a worker? For example, the drivers give a potential worker a coupon for working. That coupon has the driver's name on it. It must be presented when the worker registers. Those coupons are collected by registration and a credit toward the next event given to that driver. If his groupies, so to speak, are really into seeing him or her race, they'd do this as a sponsorship effort. I know that we would work every event if it meant that our favorite two drivers got discounts for our working.
Recruiting at colleges is a great idea. There is the tech in Concord, NH as well as the law school. Those kids don't even know SCCA exists for the most part. As mentioned in our previous post, we'd be glad to set up an SCCA display in the Concord area on occasion during the winter if you guys can arrange it. Maybe your local racers would even pull the cars out of storage for look sees. What about Mall displays. Those used to happen a lot back in the late 80's.

Pellegrino Family
11-08-2004, 11:31 PM
Found a glitch in my idea for worker coupons/driver credit.
1st of all, the driver does not get the credit until the worker has worked at least half the day and has had the chief of that specialty put his name on a list that he/she has done so. That list is then compared to the coupons then credit is given.
2nd of all, the driver should at least buy that worker lunch and/or supper for getting him/her the discount.

I really think this could work, especially if the drivers want the safest possible conditions under which to run. It puts a lot of recruiting on to them, but then again, they want people to see them run, right?

Also, I think a group should be started online somewhere of those interested in putting up drivers, crews, workers, etc. in the vicinity of race tracks for bed/breakfast type accommodations with pictures of what the setup would be. This is done quite often near hospitals and other facilities for visiting families.

Hope to hear more ideas on worker recruitment and how we can help up here in Na Hamsha. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

datadude
11-21-2004, 04:30 PM
This is a problem over the entire country. Please also remember that F&S is NOT the only volunteer force. There are many other volunteers besides F&C.

dickita15
11-22-2004, 09:24 AM
dude, we understand this is more than a local problem and while we have some spotty shortages in other specialties F&C is our biggest problem. when we are short in other areas we need to work around the problems but when we are short in F&C the race itself is threatened.
dick

emwavey
11-22-2004, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
See? I told you! $50 bucks is 50 bucks! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

So I see some great ideas...

1-mo' money....

2-Worker rides in race cars! How cool is that ! I have a seat in my car..I would love to give rides all lunch long... I'd even behave.

3- Name tags...I think we are all one big family, but there is a gap between drivers and others, and the rides and name tags would help connect the two halves. Pictures of our cars on the name tags is critical.

But those points work towards keeping and improving the position...but do little for actual recruiting...

Hmmmm..

I agree with Jake, and yeah I'd agree to behave too... how about letting them drive their own cars in a follow the leader capacity?

------------------
-dave
8) <A HREF="http://www.nerdsracing.com
Got" TARGET=_blank>http://www.nerdsracing.com
Got</A> Photos?... post 'em here: http://y3k.shacknet.nu:31338/gallery/

dickita15
11-22-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by emwavey:

I agree with Jake, and yeah I'd agree to behave too... how about letting them drive their own cars in a follow the leader capacity?

we do that. it is called track tours. we stole the idea from Road America. about 20 minutes at the end of the day. $5 per car load, workers free.
dick

datadude
11-23-2004, 09:51 AM
Paying workers is not the answer. It would be hard to say ok pay f&c and not anyone else. You would lose the other specialties. Also the event region would be running around passing out W9's if you are giving them checks and if you are giving them cash you have to justify it in your books. Figure every corner and multiple by at least two and then what you want to pay them and put that in the race budget, but be prepared to pay all specialties. If there is no medical personnel - there no race, no starteres - no race, no stewards - no race etc. With the cost of putting on races this is not a truly equitable fix. The person that has to pay for it would be the driver in their entries. Didn't I read that LRP fees are going up and no one was liking it.

[This message has been edited by datadude (edited November 23, 2004).]

bg43wex
11-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Let me state for the record, New England Region of the SCCA is a not for profit volunteer organization.

we will not be paying cash, checks or charge cards to our volunteer workers.

This thread is very important and should be kept going, the ideas will help but please stop considering paying the membership.

gifts and incentives in lu of cash is how we should direct our creative energies.

Cash should only be used in the most extreme circumstances, it really does drive the comptroller crazy. and I believe change our organiztional status.

thanx Brian Mushnick

therooster
11-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Other organizations have gotten a little creative and while they do not pay workers, they do reimburse them for a set amount of reasonable expenses. This money then comes from the event petty cash fund.

Brian I know this does not help.

Chris

EV
11-24-2004, 11:29 AM
I posted this on another site:

I think that recognition is what workers need most.

The first year I worked EV I didn’t miss but one event. I stayed on station the whole day and did everything that was asked of me and more. At the end of the season another new person that, was also a driver, received the rookie of the year award. Even he was surprised because he was only there half the time because he was either racing or getting ready to race.

It was a blow to my ego as I initiated the contact with the region to get into this sport and arrived early and stayed late.

It turns out the chief was basically driven out because of this and several other actions, but if I didn’t really enjoy what I did, I might have bailed on the whole idea.

I have heard that in my region it takes a very long time to get a license upgrade for F&C. That is one of the reasons I think people leave.

If you don’t recognize your volunteers, they won’t stick around with all the other things you can spend your time on.

------------------
Enjoy,
Bill

RSTPerformance
12-13-2004, 02:10 PM
From the CCPS: www.carolinacupproseries.com (http://www.carolinacupproseries.com)

The CCPS is proud to present the Fast Five Shootout for 2004. The top 5 qualifiers names will be placed in a hat. All of the workers names for the CCPS event will be placed in another hat. 1 racers name will be drawn and 1 workers name will be drawn. These will be paired together for the CCPS race. The WORKER paired with the winning racer will win $100 cash!! If someone outside the top 5 qualifiers wins the race, the prize will be carried over to the next event. If a winner has not been determined by the final event a random drawing will be held.

Thought this was about the most ineteresting sponsorship I have seen in a long long time....

Rymond

THawkbh
01-19-2005, 01:14 AM
Hey guys, Im kinda new here, and to racing. Only been in it for 3 years now. I live fairly close to LRP and would be willing to volunteer at a race that Im not driving in. I'm still in school so I ownt be able to help out untill late may/early june, but if your ever short, or think you might need me, send me an email. Just a side note: I'm slightly dyslexic so timing/scoring might not be a good place for me to help out.
Email address: [email protected]