PDA

View Full Version : Tamworth, NH Track Progress

Dave Patten
01-13-2005, 07:50 PM
I am a member of Club Motorsports, Inc. (CMI) as well as an NER-SCCA member. I met with Jim Hoenscheid, VP of Marketing for CMI, the Wednesday before NER's annual meeting. Here is the basic status of the facility’s construction that Jim provided.

The State of NH has issued a Wetlands Dredge and Fill permit for disturbance of less than 3/4 acre of wetlands. This permit is being appealed by members of a local opposition group called FOCUS:Tamworth. The appeal should be heard by the NH Wetlands Council sometime in January (est.)

The State has issued an Alteration of Terrain Permit (AKA, Site Specific Permit) for the property. This covers earthwork both within and outside of the wetlands areas. This permit is not under appeal and can be acted on.

The Army Corps of Engineers (ACOE) is reviewing an application for their permit. A public hearing has been held and the period for public comment is closed. The process is now primarily in the ACOE's hands for their decision on the permit.

Here is some background on area press coverage and activities.

There have been several editorials and letters to the editor in the local newspapers. These seem to focus negatively on the project. The majority of these articles are being produced by one group or its members FOCUS:Tamworth. They appear to be quite vocal but limited in numbers. At the ACOE Public Hearing a partition was presented favoring the approval of the project, signed by almost 300 area residents.

A recent letter to the editor chronicled a local resident’s experience with out of towners asking them why Tamworth was against CMI. The letter responded that the Town as a whole was not opposed but a small group FOCUS:Tamworth was. In their opinion the community favored the project and felt that it offered considerable tax relief for the community once built.

I asked Jim about the time frame for construction and operation. This is very up in the air. The permits are un-issued that are needed for construction and his hopes are to start construction work Spring of 2005 and be operational sometime in 2006, but until all the permits are in place no schedule could be established.

From my point of view, Jim's candor was incredible. He answered ALL the questions that I asked, EVERY LAST ONE. He didn't hedge on any and gave me as much detail as I asked for. I have to agree with Dick Patullo that the change in management will be good for us as club racers.

Ah, the smell of diesel, the sound of a turbo spooling up and screech of steel against rock and gravel as an excavator takes its first bite, its better than napalm in the morning. I can’t wait to hear that ground has been broken.

RR
01-14-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the updated. Yes, this track would be huge for racing in the NE.

I just cant figure why small town without much industry would not want a racing facility. You can limit the sound, limit any kind of waste. Brings many people to area hotels and restaurants.....in the summer when they need it. As racers/DE clubs we're nice people, normal (most of us) that SPEND money. What the hell is the downside? I guess to the lay person they think of typical racers as greasy thugs, sleeping in the back of his pick-up, sucking Bud's down til the break of dawn.

Greg Amy
01-14-2005, 12:13 PM
No, they think of NASCA...oh, I see your point.