PDA

View Full Version : Trip to The Great Pumpkin-Tips?

tdw6974
10-23-2004, 08:26 PM
Appears We are headed to the Great Pumpkin. Wonder if those who have been there this year since changes can have made can offer any hints. We are going to the test day friday so that should help. Any suggestions on where to paddock as We do want to be able to leave after our race Sunday.(Grp 4) Its a Fair haul from here about 325 miles. Finished getting car ready today did replace driveshaft as we were getting some vibration and the rear joint seemed a little sloppy and there appeared to be a dent in the shaft(curb hop?) So I guess we are as ready as we'll ever be. Hopefully it will not Snow! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/eek.gif

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi Haulin' Rotary"

tdw6974
10-24-2004, 06:21 AM
Bump Up

bill f
10-24-2004, 09:33 AM
Nelson has a bridge over the track that will accomodate a truck and trailer, not a Semi (Spelled correctly...Hemi, ha, ha). As such you should be able to leave the track at any time. Usually, the track will be open across to the "Barn" during lunch break, about 12 to 1pm for the really big stuff.

Personally, I haul 12,000lb total and use the bridge every time.

Incidentally, I'm Karen Frieder's husband (Registrar of the event), so this is good information.

See you there.
Good racing.

Bill

ITZ34
10-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Don't know if you've been there since August, but they lowered the overhead warning bar after a RV got stuck on the bridge. An open trailer can still go over though.

DC

Scott Nutter
10-25-2004, 10:24 PM
Have you ever been there before? If not then the pavement improvements probably won't seem as incredible.

As far as the bridge? I probably wouldn't drive my van pulling an open trailer with my Rx7 over it. I believe they have the weight limit stated as #6000 now.

tdw6974
10-25-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Scott Nutter:
Have you ever been there before? If not then the pavement improvements probably won't seem as incredible.

As far as the bridge? I probably wouldn't drive my van pulling an open trailer with my Rx7 over it. I believe they have the weight limit stated as #6000 now.

Scott, Have never been to track thats why I was looking for some hints. The track website is not working for info. I guess I'll avoid the bridge since trailer is 3500 plus the car and the assorted parts tires tools etc Plus The truck is quad cab 3/4 ton 4wd and I'm not twiggy. we are going for the test Day to get familar with track. Hopefully it will be a good weekend although the entry list looks a little probably some burnout after a long season. T weaver

------------------
Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1980 RX-7 ITA #63
"Hemi Haulin' Rotary"

joeg
10-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Tom --As long as you have an open trailer, the bridge is fine.

The weather could be a bit damp on Saturday, but temperature-wise looks to be pretty nice for both days.

Welcome!

tdw6974
10-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by joeg:

The weather could be a bit damp on Saturday, but temperature-wise looks to be pretty nice for both days.

Welcome!

tdw6974
10-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by joeg:

Welcome!
OOPS our Trailer is 24 ft enclosed so will avaoid the Bridge. See if you can get temps up to 75 Sunny and Dry http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif Still trying to get thawed out from the Watkins Glen deep freeze 2 weeks ago. TW

Scott Nutter
10-26-2004, 10:45 AM
If you email me I can send you an image of the track layout along with the way I try to drive the course, not saying it is the best way mind you.

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Scott Nutter (edited October 26, 2004).]