PDA

View Full Version : The Lime Rock Park racing season isn't over quite yet...

gran racing
10-14-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah I know there is a Watkins Glen event next weekend with EMRA, but this happens to be one of my favorite events of the year. (Of course I'll be at both events.) On Sat. October 30th, EMRA hosts a sprint race as well as a 1 hour enduro at Lime Rock Park. I highly recommend you participate in both the sprint and 1 hr enduro race. Can you say tons of track time?

I personally am not much of an enduro person. I often find them too long (duh, guess that's why they are called enduros?) and boring. But you're talking about a relatively short track with many cars out there to compete against. You won't be bored out there! And the track time you get is broken up which I really like.

Important note: Lime Rock park does enforce a maximum sound requirement for this race event. I believe it is 93 dbs - please verify this for yourself.

Hope to see ya there!

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13
'87 Honda Prelude si
NOW ITB!!!

gran racing
10-14-2004, 06:34 PM
Should have included this...

www.emraracing.org/Emraeven.htm (http://www.emraracing.org/Emraeven.htm)

RKramden
10-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by gran racing:
Important note: Lime Rock park does enforce a maximum sound requirement for this race event. I believe it is 93 dbs - please verify this for yourself.

Other important note: Lime Rock does strange things to "measure" the sound level. Depending on who does it and how they feel, that could mean anything from the mid 80s to the high 90s being the real sound limit.

16v
10-15-2004, 01:29 AM
it may be over for more than the season...

lateapex911
10-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by 16v:
it may be over for more than the season...

huh? expand, please....

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

benspeed
10-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Don't tell me financial woes.....

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
[email protected]
NNJR

ulfelder
10-15-2004, 10:06 AM
Regarding Lime Rock:

I have here in my hand (waves paper, Joe McCarthy style) the agenda for tonight's Club Racing Board meeting. "Lime Rock Update" for 2005 is one of the items. I will report back tomorrow on what is discussed.

Another important item on tonight's agenda: ideas for recruiting worker volunteers. There is a growing groundswell of opinion that we the drivers should play a bigger role in not only working ourselves once in awhile (perish the thought!), but attracting the volunteers who make it possible for us to pursue the sport. This is your chance to toss around ideas.

The meeting is at 7:30 at the Best Western, Route 20, Auburn, MA.

Steve U
05 ITS
Flatout Motorsports

Scott Koschwitz
10-15-2004, 10:07 AM
Boy, I hate it when people drop a line like 16v's without further information.

I hope 16v is referring to the plans to repave and upgrade the facilities, which I hear will take at least six months.

Don't leave us in suspense too long.

[This message has been edited by Scott Koschwitz (edited October 15, 2004).]

Scott Koschwitz
10-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Steve, I won't be able to attend the meeting. Please post what news you hear.

As far as recruiting workers: before I became fortunate enough to race, I flagged for a couple of years, and really enjoyed it. I have actually considered for next season, since there are days when there is a lot of down time, that I would flag a station as time allowed.

One thing I believe is most important to the workers is a show of appreciation from the drivers. A wave as you go by, plus a regular contribution to the worker fund, certainly communicates that.

lateapex911
10-15-2004, 01:31 PM
I know this won't be popular..

But...SCCA racing is pretty cheap considering what you get. Lots of workers, and good insurance.

Most, not all, other clubs fall short in one area or the other.

Now the unpopular part...

there are more and more clubs operating out there. Thye need workers. They pay the workers. "Our" workers.

Maybe we should to. At least sometning...what if entries included a mandatory $25 worker fee? Divide up at the end of each day amongst the workers...lets see...25 x 200 = 5000, thats $2500 per day of a two day weekend. A Friday worker would get $50 if there were 50 workers.

Details would need to be hammered out, but a slight entry increase would go a long way...and Friday events might be easier to staff.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gran racing
10-15-2004, 02:37 PM
(Brought the volunteering discussion over to a new thread)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER ITB #13
'87 Honda Prelude si

dickita15
10-15-2004, 03:55 PM
as to the situation at lime rock and remembering this is a public forum the regions met with LRP and the track has some concerns about their profit margin on scca events, the cost to the track is higher for our events than club events. I am hopeful that in working with the track we can find ways to curtail some of these costs and find a way that lrp and scca club racing can both prosper.
dick patullo

Greg Amy
10-15-2004, 04:13 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...the cost to the track is higher for our events than club events.</font>

That's odd. Do you mean compared to HPDEs or compared to PCA/BMWCCA competition events? We bring our own flaggers, our own safety crews (yes, no?), our own insurance; how can SCCA cost them more than other clubs?

Now, if you mean the REVENUE is lower for SCCA events, I can see that. But costs?

LRP is a business. As much as I hate to say it, if BMWCCA, PCA, Skippy school, and others are willing to pay more for the track time (and possibly with less hassle and noise to the locals), I see nothing stopping LRP from either offering the time to SCCA for more money or offering it to PCA instead. Those available competition days at LRP are as scarce as hen's teeth, and there will NEVER be an approval to increase the number of them.

It's high time we (SCCA) get off our collective duffs and realize we ain't the only game in town any more...

dickita15
10-15-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by grega:
That's odd. Do you mean compared to HPDEs or compared to PCA/BMWCCA competition events? ...
no greg I said what i meant. they have a huge staff at our events. i am sure we can work with them to cut costs

It's high time we (SCCA) get off our collective duffs and realize we ain't the only game in town any more...[/B]

Oh gee greg thanks for pointing that out I was not aware. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif
dick patullo

Greg Amy
10-15-2004, 06:16 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...they have a huge staff at our events.</font>

Heck, tell 'em to stay home; we' ve got you guys in charge!

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...I was not aware...</font>

Oh, that's not true, Dick, don't short-change yourself; I know you know better

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

lateapex911
10-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Greg- I was looking up wisearse in the dictionary, and who's picture do you think I saw??

And no, it wasn't mine...guess again... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Amy
10-16-2004, 02:40 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...and who's picture do you think I saw??</font>

Yeah, you're right; that grega guy is such the wiseass.... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

(I hope they used the right photo this time; the last one I sent to them wasn't as flattering...)

RKramden
10-16-2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by grega:
As much as I hate to say it, if BMWCCA, PCA, Skippy school, and others are willing to pay more for the track time

I had heard that the Skippy folks have a really, really low rate, and it's locked in for a number of years. Less than it costs the track tooperate. We are, in effect, subsidizing their operation.

lateapex911
10-16-2004, 11:39 PM
"We" are? "We" as in the PCA, the BWWCCA, the SCDA, the Bonnet and Boot Club, the NASCAR weekend, the NER SCCA, the NNYR SCCA, the Vintage weekend, the Ferrari weekend, the sponsors, et al.

Does anyone know the story behind the leaving of Michael Johnson, the general manager? His tenure seemed very short lived. Was it under 2 years?

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

dpc
10-17-2004, 07:38 PM
As I have always said LRP needs a little competition frome another close track, any word on that Dick? dave

10-19-2004, 04:22 AM
You said it! I hope this new NH and NJ tracks get built. Anything within 5 hrs of Boston I consider close(for me atleast). So that leaves me with LRP, Glenn, and NHIS. Three tracks is not bad, but NHIS I don't care for.

bg43wex
10-19-2004, 12:51 PM
Gentlemen,

the story is the track turns X profits on non race/club rental days. they are able to do this because virtually no services are including and only the "MOST" basic insurance is in place while the track is rented.

When the SCCA has a race day/weekend many extra security/emergency services that are required by state law. the SCCA also has mandated insurance for the protection of all members who participates. these extras drive down the profit margin for the track.

Lime Rock has informed us that they would like to close the gap between Non Race and Race groups. we at the SCCA have offered to help in finding a middle ground, this will take hard work and comprimise from both sides but a middle ground should be reachable.

Jake,
paying workers has nothing to do with this issue

Greg,
this has nothing to do with the other clubs willingness to pay more, in reality I believe they pay less, but they don't get much in return and can not have wheel to wheel racing.

If we did not want to race wheel to wheel it would not be a problem, of course if we wanted to do lapping days or time trials we could charge much less and have 1/3 the fun.

This will all be worked out shortly. If you would like to discuss the matter further feel free to contact me directly

brian Mushnick
club racin chair NER
[email protected]
508-954-8110