PDA

View Full Version : NARRC Results

itbgti
10-04-2004, 11:46 AM
For those having to work on "Honey-Do" list items this past Saturday, any results or recaps?

RSTPerformance
10-04-2004, 03:01 PM
The ITB report from Raymond http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Qualifying:

My Brother qualified horrible as he and the rest of the competition was battling the over filled 47 car field that was qualifying¡K Tim Mullen (VW A3) and Bill Balcezak (one of the McNary Audi Coupes) had an incident that disabled both cars for the weekend. I was unable to qualify due to a regional meeting I could not get out of work¡K The meeting was at Mohegan Sun which is generally a great place to go, but I just wanted to be at the track ƒ¼ Good thing was I did a bit of gambling and only lost $5.00.

Race:

I started from grid with the hopes that not all 47 cars that qualified would make it to the race¡K I was in luck, on 40 cars went to grid!!! I started 41st. On the first lap I passed several cars, and coming down the downhill the Orange VW of Charlie Gerundo spun on his own and the pileup started, I darted to the outside threw the grass with the foot buried on the gas, and praying¡K I made it through and looked over in pit lane at the crew who was trying to see if I made it through the mess. The mud on my tires made it feel as though I had several blown tires, and I almost spun in big bend as well as the left hander. Two Miatas got back past me as I struggled to stay on track¡K A full course yellow then came out. The 58 SM passed me under yellow going towards west bend (apparently he did not see the yellows on the inside and outside of the uphill). After we went green I progressed further up the field and was behind Nat Wentworth when a Miata went flying off the outside of west bend and into the tire wall. It bounced off the wall completing a spin with all four wheels off the ground!!! It bounced back onto the track and landed on the edge of the track at the exit right on line. Nat Wentworth turned to avoid the car and lost it spinning into the tire wall on driver¡¦s right, under the bridge. I swerved and missed the still moving Miata and after getting on the front straight checked myself for the second time to make sure all was good http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif I was able to pass the BMW of Eric Pendersen going into the left hander just as the yellow came out¡K Close call for a pass under yellow on my part ƒ¼. After reviewing my video it appeared as though I was able to squeeze the pass before the turn, although much to my own disappointment I admit I did not see the yellow¡K The yellow flags were never dropped and we finished under yellow with only 8 green flag laps ƒ¼ I was hoping for green as I know I could have picked off a lot more!!!

In the front Stephen tried to get past Phil Hunt, but was unsuccessful. Scott was just in front watching the battle behind him. If the race ran through I think it would have been a great battle for first with the three of them¡K While looking through Stephens in car it certainly seemed as though nobody had any distinct advantage over another. Steve McNary was in a solid 4th but if we had gone back green I was hoping to be able to catch him. Paul Curran and Greg Subtelny were running together very close for 5th and 6th when the yellow came out, I finished 7th just behind them and behind me was Eric Pendersen, and I think Richard Gleason. The rest I am not sure¡K I think a total of 22 ITB cars ran at some point of the weekend!!! Great race and I have to personally thank the stewards for the effort to get me into the race¡K I personally had a blast even though it was cut very short (26 minutes, 8 green flag laps).

Raymond ¡§25 cars in 8 laps¡¨ Blethen

Greg Amy
10-06-2004, 10:32 AM
I found the results here:

http://www.nyr-scca.com/narrc_results.htm

Unfortunately, the lap times are not accurate. It appears that the spreadsheet on which these are based rounded the lap time to the nearest second (i.e., someone with a 1:01.6 shows the same lap time as someone with a 1:02.4). Anyone know who does this, and could forward a request for more acuracy?

Greg

BillW
10-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Greg, The points keepers name is at the top of the sheet. Start with her.

Maureen Harris mih0225-at-hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by BillW (edited October 06, 2004).]

Scott Koschwitz
10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
She should have a more accurate sheet available. I picked up a copy of the final results for Group 6 (SSM, SSB, and SSC) before I left Saturday. The final results contained laps times down to the thousandths.

Not that I wanted to see them. Let's just say NARRC weekend started off on the wrong foot and continued from there.

Here's to looking forward to next season.

[This message has been edited by Scott Koschwitz (edited October 06, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
10-07-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Scott Koschwitz:

Not that I wanted to see them. Let's just say NARRC weekend started off on the wrong foot and continued from there.

Here's to looking forward to next season.

[This message has been edited by Scott Koschwitz (edited October 06, 2004).]

I'll agree with that! Right from the poorly written supps that had no clarifacation for fridays events. This even ranked almost number 1 on the worst scheduled, planned, run event that I have ever been to. Hopefully they learned from there mistakes and it doesn't happen again. I would not reccomend anyone to join a NYR event at LRP! THIS WEEKEND WAS TERRABLE from start to end.

Did I say it was the worst organized and run event imaginable? Well it was!

Stephen

Tom Blaney
10-07-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:

I'll agree with that! Right from the poorly written supps that had no clarifacation for fridays events. This even ranked almost number 1 on the worst scheduled, planned, run event that I have ever been to. Hopefully they learned from there mistakes and it doesn't happen again. I would not reccomend anyone to join a NYR event at LRP! THIS WEEKEND WAS TERRABLE from start to end.

Did I say it was the worst organized and run event imaginable? Well it was!

Stephen

WOW that's a little harsh, yes I agree that there were a lot of slipup, right from the chief steward down, BUT I don't recall you standing in the registration booth at any point in past few years.......

Greg Amy
10-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Yikes! What kind of problems were there? My weekend went pretty much bump-free (well, except for that incident in the left-hander, but that was my fault...) - GA

Scott Koschwitz
10-07-2004, 09:44 AM
I agree with Stephen that the schedule for Friday was unclear and subject to interpretation.

I spoke with a friend before Friday about how many qualifying sessions we would get. From his experience, he thought we would get one 30- or 40-minute session. It turns out, they got two 12-minute sessions, if I remember.

That seems awfully low, considering they had about six hours in which to run qualifying, even assuming a one-hour lunch break. Where was all the time lost? In switching between run groups? Wouldn't the groups been allowed more qualifying time if they ran only one qualifying session?

The same problem seemed to occur on race day. My brother and his girlfriend attended the races, and observed that, as compared with the June race, a lot of time was lost between races. In June, they were impressed how, almost immediately after the cars from the prior race pitted, they were sending the cars for the next race out.

I think two areas of discussion for next season should be: 1) the release of clear supps so drivers know, at least approximately, the number and time of practice, qualifying, and race sessions; and 2) ways in which we can maximize on-track time, and limit the loss of time through scheduling or race administration issues.

On a personal note, the weekend started badly when my wife (despite my having cleared this with her) asked me at about 8 p.m. Thursday to stay home Friday to celebrate her birthday. (Note to the unmarried guys for future reference: there is only one correct answer to this request.)Of course, this is after I left work early, and had almost finished loading up for Friday.

After registering on Saturday, I was lucky to find a paddock space. As I undid the straps on the car, I realized I had left the key to the car at home (about 65 miles away). As I unloaded the car, I proceeded to roll it off the ramps, doing some nice cosmetic alterations to the bumper cover. Thanks to some great guys in the paddock, I was able to extract my car.

I then had to rush to tech, and, since I hadn't qualified, receive permission from the Chief Steward to run.

After that, I had to find a way to get my car started. Many thanks to David DelGenio for helping me with that, and allowing me to just make the practice session.

I start the race at the back of the grid. With only 10 minutes of practice, it took me a few laps for the car and me to warm up. Just about the time I get into a rhythm, I get bumped and spun at the entrance to No Name.

I continue, but am not sure of the extent of the damage. I start to hear noises and feel vibrations I hadn't heard and felt before. Part of me says "F*** it, push and make the best of it," while another part tells me I'll really regret totaling the car trying to be a hero with a damaged car.

I continue the race, and, on different laps, have two cars spin directly in front of me in the Downhill, requiring me to come to near stops.

I finish the race, three laps down, all the while serving as the Lime Rock mobile chicane.

The damage from the bump and spin was only cosmetic, requiring the replacement of the right fender, which I intended to replace anyway. That right fender now complements the left fender, which I bent on the test & tune day on Tuesday.

In a sense, I am glad my season is over so I can focus on getting the car and myself prepared for next season. See you then.

[This message has been edited by Scott Koschwitz (edited October 07, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
10-07-2004, 02:06 PM
I would like to add Stephens’s disclaimer...

His thoughts are not necessarily the thoughts of others in the RST Performance Racing family...

I personally (Raymond) would like to thank the stewards for their hard work to get me into the race. I had absolutely NO problems with this past weekend’s events; I could not have had a better experience based on the accidents. Sure I would have liked to have raced more than 9 laps, but all in all NYR was VERY fair to me.

For those that were unaware I was not able to qualify because of work on Friday so I had to start from the back of race group 2. Race group 2 had 47 cars qualify which left me thinking I wasn't racing. The stewards allowed me to run warm-up on Saturday to make sure all was good, and then wait on grid as they counted the cars. If their was more than 42, then I wasn't racing and I would get my money back even though I had run warm-up. If their were less than 42, well then I was racing!!! Turned out 40 cars showed up and I was able to race.

What a blast!!!

Thank you very much too all that helped make the event a success for me.

Raymond "Very happy" Blethen

Greg Amy
10-07-2004, 03:44 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...I had to start from the back of race group 2...</font>

Heard - anonymously - over the scanner during Race #2:

Crew guy: "Uh, oh, one of the Blethans is starting behind you."

Driver: "Don't worry, I'm already planning on letting him by to take out the guy in front of me..."

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

lateapex911
10-07-2004, 07:14 PM
Scott-

Wow.. I doubt i would have persevered and run Saturday only knowing the nature of the paddock and the cost to run one session only. Brave man you are!

On the car thing...the FIRST thing I did in my build was rewire the ignition and starter and throw the key away! Throw a hidden fuel pump switch and light in or something as a theft deterent. (If the light is off, it will remind you why the car isn't starting, but a thief will be clueless.)

Regarding the quality of the event....I dind't notice much amiss, of course my mind was pretty occupied with other issues.

I did notice a lot of carnage on both days. turn around time is greatly affected by the mess left on the track.

Does anyone know the turnout? We had 10 groups, right? Sounds like a lot of groups! The NARRC weekend is always tough...lots of cars, not a lot of time, not a lot of space.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

16v
10-07-2004, 09:00 PM
I think the twins need to get different usernames! It makes for confusing reading at times http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Doug :)
NER.org (http://ner.org)
the16v.com (http://the16v.com)
briansgarage.com (http://www.briansgarage.com)

RSTPerformance
10-07-2004, 10:50 PM
Grega-

I didn't win any prizes!!! (IE: I didn't take anyone out http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif ) I do admit though i did bump a red miata in the back... but i was just tried to give him some help http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

I saw A LOT of point by's (thank you) and I must admit EVERYONE was very well aware of my "coming through the field" wich made for a plesent race on my part. Both accidents in the ITB/SM race were started by single driver errors that resulted in collecting other cars. All in all good driving from my view, we (as a group)were just unfortunate that both incedents collected other cars and walls resulting in the full course yellows.

Doug-

its to much fun confusing you all on the track in the pits and on the computer...

Stephen-

Instead of the negative feedback why not recognize the problems and give some possible well thought out resolutions!!!

Raymond "picking a fight with my bro" Blethen

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited October 07, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
01-04-2007, 01:59 AM
Here is a link to the first ever released video from the eyes of a Blethen in a race car... :blink: It is a bit scary, I must admit...

Appropriatly placed amongst the threads here on IT.com, this video is from the 2004 NARRC Runoffs. As you can see, I try to make a run like Greg did at Watkins Glenn 06… But this is Lime Rock, and their are 41 cars on this small track, not much space, and I am in an ITB car against other ITB cars and the lovely Spec Miata field... :unsure:

Anyway enjoy the video… its starts off exciting and ends well :)

http://www.rstperformance.com/2004%20NARRC%20Runoffs.wmv

Raymond ":birra:" Blethen

PS: IT IS A LARGE FILE, it is the entire race less full course yellow laps.

PSS: Special thanks (forgot to put on video) to Jason Benagh for lending his video camera to me so that I could download some videos for the soon to be released new RST Performance Racing website!!! (not done yet)

Andy Bettencourt
01-04-2007, 08:39 AM
An excellent video. Thanks!

Couple observations:

1. What a lucky race! You almost got taken out twice...once leading onto the front straight and one exiting West bend...phew!

2. Your car either sounds better from INSIDE the car than it does outside, or I have never heard it run that well... :P

gran racing
01-04-2007, 10:15 AM
That was fun to watch. :happy204:

Yeah, the Miata spin in the downhill then the west bend spins. Wow. I liked how you wiped your head out of relief once on the straight, or at least that&#39;s what it looked like you were doing.

Yeah, that car sounds great (and powerful). Very nice.

lateapex911
01-04-2007, 10:51 AM
I bet the Miata you bumped in west bend in the begining was laughing...it looked like you got more sideways from that than he.

Man......... dodged a close one in the downhill...it looked like the spinner was going your way, until someone else got in his way (McMahon?)

And I noticed you use 2 gears...and the engine stays between 5K and 6K the entire time. Looks torquey!

RSTPerformance
01-04-2007, 11:47 AM
Thier are a lot more video&#39;s with a few near misses, and some not so fortunate misses... All hopefully will be up on the website... Should make for some interesting procrastination...

At lime Rock, yup we shift 2 times... once downshift to third under breaking into Big Bend and the other is an upshift back to forth entering no-name... Cars are geared great for that track, but not so well for NHIS.

I never was able to get a good groove and turn any good laps... Also as you can see the Handling isn&#39;t the greatest, but we have made some improvements since 2004, and I thikn we are a bit faster now.

I love the sounds of the car, inside and outside... Unfortunatly I have spent my time on the side of the track watching stephen drive by :rolleyes:

Raymond

PS: Thanks for not bashing my driving to much ;)

lateapex911
01-04-2007, 12:54 PM
I love the sounds of the car, inside and outside... ;)
[/b]

LOL..they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder....

But even I can&#39;t say I love the sound of my car..from anywhere!

Yours sounds MUCH better on the video...from the outside it sounds like an angry UPS truck with a leaky muffler..

;)

dj10
01-04-2007, 04:04 PM
[quote] Thier are a lot more video&#39;s with a few near misses, and some not so fortunate misses... All hopefully will be up on the website... Should make for some interesting procrastination...

At lime Rock, yup we shift 2 times... once downshift to third under breaking into Big Bend and the other is an upshift back to forth entering no-name... Cars are geared great for that track, but not so well for NHIS.

I never was able to get a good groove and turn any good laps... Also as you can see the Handling isn&#39;t the greatest, but we have made some improvements since 2004, and I thikn we are a bit faster now.

I love the sounds of the car, inside and outside... Unfortunatly I have spent my time on the side of the track watching stephen drive by :rolleyes:

Raymond

Nice drive, you were crushing them in turns 1 to 3 and under braking. I turned the sound off to watch. Was that a windshield wiper blade that flew up & over your windshield in the 2nd lap?

If a guy points you by, wave back. Someone or anyone who takes the time to see you & point you by deserves a thanks. :114: A friend on the track is worth 2 in the brush