PDA

View Full Version : Group #1 False Grid Problem?

Tkczecheredflag
10-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Was it just me or was there a little communication problem this morning for Group One? I never heard a "call" to false grid for Group One after practice this morning. Then when I get to false grid we get a quick five minute warining which lasted two minutes, I never heard a one minute warning although I was hustling to get ready, we went right to "all ready". I put one glove one and as I get hustled to grid with one glove on and the other in my hand and I get held and loose my grid position and get sent to the rear. I had the glove in my hand. Is this the way NYR does business for such a "big race" (NARRC)? I figure the grid workers are doing there job but I felt there was seroius break down here. Next thing I know the ITC and ITA outside pole sitters John V And Anthony S along with others are all staring from the back of the pack too, as he didn't grid in time or apparentlly hear the call top grid. Can anyone offer and explantion?
Now my car ran terrible and it didn't make a difference for how I finished, but if I was running for the final points and got held I would have been a bit pissed. I was told afterwards that I was not ready to race but in my view it was NYR who blew this one. There has to be a little give and take when the sanctioning body screws up.
Tim Klvana
ITC #11

p99ro
10-02-2004, 11:57 PM
Yes Tim I never heard a call to grid. I pulled up and was told to back up. Then told I could get in my 6th place position then held to last place. Pissed me off I was the grid workers skit of GUY Driver.
I passed 20 cars to finish 7th. Got hit by a Rx7. Did he get his prize?
Scott CRX 09 ITA NER. Yes It was boggest.
P.S. I did have a blast.

biovic
10-03-2004, 12:17 AM
The grid stuff was the weirdest I've seen. No, there was never a PA announcement to get to grid, but is there really ever one at LRP, especially with the professional announcer? We all had the schedule so should have known what time to get start the race, but what threw people was the extra warm-up session (3 instead of 2 as scheduled).
They definitely gave the 5 minute warning, then gave the 1 minute warning (at about 5-6 minutes in).
Hope we don't see that happen again. :/
Victor
#03 ITA

16v
10-03-2004, 12:31 AM
I shot warmups from the mound at grid in. There was no call made to drivers. However, many were there, some were not and the open spaces were obvious. They made the 5 min warning and we started the watch. The 1 min was made as the late comers lined up off the grid. There was a comm problem for sure since only the NER guys were late. hmmmm

I felt sorry for the other Serra who forgot his helmet and HANS and had to book it back to B paddock on foot to get them. He was still strapping in as the pack left for the pace lap.

lateapex911
10-03-2004, 12:56 AM
Jeeeez....if I can make it to grid on time when we're first group.....

(for those who don't know. I am rarely early to grid...)

Donna Stevens was wandering around on a rare non work day for her, wearing a steward net radio, (she often starts our races) and was near my car as the count started. She commented that the five was given but was running long as the stewards noted a lot of missing cars and were stalling.

The PA at Lime Rock seems to be, to me at least, the model of intermittant perfection. I know the main unit is brand new, but the speaker network is ancient, and isn't easy to hear over the cars on the track...that said, I never depend on it to know when to get to grid.

I know it sucks for the guys to start from the back, but it DOES make for some fun racing from a fans point of view.!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Racer Chris
10-03-2004, 08:17 AM
Don't ever wait to hear a call to grid at LRP!
The first race group is always immediately after warmups.
With the tight schedule of ten 25 lap races you're lucky they stalled even for 1 minute.

------------------
Chris Foley
www.tangerineracing.com (http://www.tangerineracing.com)

16v
10-03-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
but it DOES make for some fun racing from a fans point of view.!

you bet it did

joeg
10-04-2004, 07:24 AM
I'm with Chris on this one--You can't blame grid workers for your own dilly dallying--especially at that track.

The driver is responsible for getting hi/her car to the grid ...on time.

JackH55
10-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Some thoughts on the Grid situations, first I was an SOM and because TJ was in the race I recused myself from all group one actions.

I walked to the grid and noticed the missing cars. up front- TJ was gridded 7th but went out 5th.

I saw the yellow crx and Tim get held because they were not ready when they got the signal to go and then 4 or 5 cars entered late both Serras and John Vandenburg among them.

I did not hear an announcement but I was not paying attention either.
It should be noted that the Stewards in Control have their own michrophone and can make announcements. Greg Rickes the Track Announcer, is very good about making announcements when asked but he was not asked.
The main thing is what has already been mentioned- It is our responsibility to watch what is on track and be ready on time.
The schedule said warmups followed by the 1st Race - The one open wheel session had to take at least 12 minutes so even those in the last closed wheel session had time to refuel, torque etc.

Also Karen Petersen the Grid Chief, stetched out the time between when she was given the the 5 minute by control and when she gave it. If you just made it, you owe her a thank you.

Jack

Tkczecheredflag
10-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by joeg:
I'm with Chris on this one--You can't blame grid workers for your own dilly dallying--especially at that track.

First, I would hardly call one glove on and one glove in my hand dilly dallying. But in all seriousness, this is the United States of America, home of the free. Could we at least start the event off with our Nation Anthem and an Invocation. One shows a little respect to this great country that allows us to race and two gives you a little warning.
I'm not pissy about this but when so many cars were missing I think a "call to the grid" was in order, the least we could get for our hard earned money for.
My issue was not with the grid worker for doing her job, but she did see both gloves in clear view, one on and one almost on, a bit "hard ass" I would say. I know saftey first, yeah, yeah yeah.
Tim Klvana
ITC #11

The driver is responsible for getting hi/her car to the grid ...on time.