PDA

View Full Version : Rain Racing

almracing
08-31-2004, 12:21 PM
As a participant in one of the wildest weather races this past weekend, I am still trying to get the water out of my car. (A drain plug in the floor pan blew out and my leg got soaked every time I went thru a puddle)

I am looking for some advice. My windows fogged up beyond measure. What works for most people for the clearing interior of the windows??

Driving with fogged windows made things even more exciting.

Anthony R.
#86 NER

joeg
08-31-2004, 01:02 PM
Try a perfectly stock and functioning heater/defroster system.

After that, "Fog-off" can work for the inside, but you need to try and make the floor water toght.

Rain-X for the windshield.

JohnRW
08-31-2004, 02:28 PM
Liquid soap works to keep the fog off the inside of the windshield. Try Dial hand-soap (pump bottle) or a dishwashing soap (if you like the lemon-y scent). Just put a dab on, and smear it around until you've just left an invisible layer.

IT cars are supposed to have heater cores intact, right ? Just run the hoses to it and turn on the blower (which should also probably still be there...).

kennyr7
08-31-2004, 03:26 PM
You can always try tying a shop rag to a stick...

Greg Gauper
08-31-2004, 03:40 PM
I second the dish soap idea. I have a small 'trial' size bottle of Dawn that conveniently fits in the parts box and has lasted for several years.

Apply it using a clean dry cloth and buff it in. If you don't believe it, try it out by applying some to 1/2 of a hand mirror and hold it over a pot of boiling water.

BTW - I used to use soap on the inside of my face masks when I played paint-ball. Without the soap, they get all steamed up from sweating from running around. The soap prevents fogging.

Use Rain-X on the outside. Use your wipers as little as possible. Note: on some cars the wipers actually lift off the window at high speed or when you draft!

[This message has been edited by Greg Gauper (edited August 31, 2004).]

Dano77
08-31-2004, 06:18 PM
When we were running the AS car,we all had kids plastic hockey sticks with rags tied on. Dont leave it on the passengers floor as it will slide all the way to the door in the oval & turn 6. The cars were obviously much less refined than the top running IT cars are now,but man they were fun to drive in the rain. If you could see.Come by at the cheap date for more stories of the junkyard cars.
Dano
77 ITA RX-7
77 ITA Miata (some body please buy this car)

Dick Elliott
08-31-2004, 06:20 PM
Cut a raw Irish potato in half and rub the raw end on to the inside of the window. Works great and you can eat the potato later.

lateapex911
08-31-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Dick Elliott:
Cut a raw Irish potato in half and rub the raw end on to the inside of the window. Works great and you can eat the potato later.

Just make sure you didn't do the dishwash detergent thing first!

In all my rain races I have never had an issue with vision. I ran my cross car tube thru a duct, but used a hole saw and taped it up to seal it off. My heater core is installed (of course) and the fan has 4 speeds.

On Sunday, it was on High heat, full defrost, full fan. The rain was biblical. Even with no cars in front there were times I couldn't see the lines on the baking! I guessed high...less room to travel before impact! (and better grip too...)

My wipers were on fast, and although there was plenty of water pouring in thu the windws (right into my eye..grrr) and thru the floor, my vision, as far as the car was concerned was perfect.

How wild was that rain anyway! A race I will never forget, thats for sure!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

almracing
08-31-2004, 10:07 PM
Great ideas from people. The soap one seems to be a good one.

Great race Jake and congrats on the first place finish. It sucked having people go by while I tried to clean the windshield. My crew thought it was funny... "hey look, he's waving at us!"

My heater core is in, but I learned that I bought a car with the fan disconnected. Was never an issue until Sunday. Getting that back running is first on the list. (Sure to not be needed for a few years)

Anthony R.
#86 ITA NER

Weaver7
09-01-2004, 10:15 PM
Jake it was nice to finally meet you in person. Congrats on the win!

Originally posted by lateapex911:

Just make sure you didn't do the dishwash detergent thing first!

In all my rain races I have never had an issue with vision. I ran my cross car tube thru a duct, but used a hole saw and taped it up to seal it off. My heater core is installed (of course) and the fan has 4 speeds.

On Sunday, it was on High heat, full defrost, full fan. The rain was biblical. Even with no cars in front there were times I couldn't see the lines on the baking! I guessed high...less room to travel before impact! (and better grip too...)

My wipers were on fast, and although there was plenty of water pouring in thu the windws (right into my eye..grrr) and thru the floor, my vision, as far as the car was concerned was perfect.

How wild was that rain anyway! A race I will never forget, thats for sure!

lateapex911
09-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys!

I guess the conditions (if you can call them that) suited me and my car....

On Monday I Fed Exed my check to the US Air Force with the notation "Rain cloud seeding payment for Concord NH, 2nd weekend of September" on it. We'll see if it works!

I enjoyed the race, thats for sure. I actually like conditions that are different and make you think.

Who'd of thought an RX-7 would be such a great rain car??

Bill, it was great having you and Micheal Ligget (I hope thats correct) visit. I wish I had more time to visit, but I spent about 16 hours on Sat with the carb apart looking for a reason that the secondaries weren't working, and under the car doing the suspension, and didn't make the rounds like I wanted to.

I think we want to make the haul to the Glen for the double. Is that a good plan? Can you make it rain?? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

bill f
09-02-2004, 03:05 PM
One year we actually had a squeegy (spelling) on an expandable stick, stuck at the side of the seat. The shaft had a slip collar with a twist lock. We used it on the straight to wipe the inside of the window remotely...did not have loose belts.

We were using it at the track to clean the outside of the windows, and used it inside during a desparate moment.

Worked in a pinch.

Got the defrosters working for the next rain event.

Good racing.

Bill

JohnRW
09-02-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by bill f:
One year we actually had a squeegy on an expandable stick, stuck at the side of the seat...We used it on the straight to wipe the inside of the window remotely...We were using it at the track to clean the outside of the windowsBill

"WE" ??!?!? How many people do you have in that car ?

Weaver7
09-03-2004, 10:49 AM
I'll tell ya Jake at the Glen rain is very possible!! Hope to see you at the Double.

[This message has been edited by Weaver7 (edited September 03, 2004).]