PDA

View Full Version : Pocono Garages don't flood....

RSTPerformance
08-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Last weekend a portion (most of) Saturdays national races were cancled due to flooding... weird thing is the report back was that the garages didn't flood... can it be so!!!

The Porche and BMW in this photo were floated to higher ground before the doors were opened up and the interiors drained...

http://www.rstperformance.com//pictures/rstpictures2004season/augustpoconodoublenational/poconoaugustflood.jpg

Photo taken by Tom Branoff Photography

Raymond
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperfomance.com (http://www.rstperfomance.com)

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited August 23, 2004).]

supersmile
08-23-2004, 10:55 PM
I was in the garages across from the Porsche, BMW and Pontiac that ended up with water over the door jambs. (The Porsche was originally on the other side of the BMW but was pushed in front of my garage by the time that photo was taken). No, the garages didn't flood, but the tunnel did and by Sunday evening after a sunny day there was still a lake at Nascar turn 1 and water coming out of cracks in the pavement on the main straight. The Porsche and BMW ended up leaving on flatbeds; the Pontiac started right up! The water was almost to my knees when I waded to the garages to see if my car was still there.

Doing two full length National races in one day on Sunday was tiring, to say the least but not as bad as the 2.5 hour traffic jam on Route 80 when I left the track at 8. No, it wasn't fan traffic, it was construction.

LT
08-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Per Supersmile...
Doing two full length National races in one day on Sunday was tiring, to say the least but not as bad as the 2.5 hour traffic jam on Route 80 when I left the track at 8.

-----------
You were not one of the Corner Workers standing out station for that 11 hr day. Got to give those folks a HUGE Thanks for staying. Many unhappy campers about the Stewards not shortening the races, shame too, probably one of the largest turnouts of corner workers in years and a lot of them commented that it was their last Pocono Race.

Lin

RSTPerformance
08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Why were the corner workers unhappy???

Ramond...

lateapex911
08-27-2004, 05:23 PM
Maybe they were drowning?????

Sucks to stand in the rain all day, esp when it startsbacking up around you and getting deep.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Monkeywrench
08-27-2004, 10:53 PM
DAMN! It looks like it wasn't such a bad idea not to come to Pocono to watch. Heck it might be worth packing some kyacks for next year. That really sucks about that Porsche. Sounds like a great project for a race car now.

Bill Miller
08-29-2004, 12:04 PM
My son and I got there at about noon on Sat. I poured pretty much from the time we crossed the Deleware, all the way to the track. The tunnel was closed (flooded), so they were letting cars in through the gate on the back stretch. We crossed the track and went into the infield at Devil's Elbow. The left-hander just before DE was totally under water. The water was probably a foot deep at the apex.

And if the rain wasn't bad enough, it was probably 45 - 50 degrees out!!! Who knew that you needed a parka at Pocono in August????

------------------
MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
SCCA 279608

supersmile
08-29-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by LT:

-----------
You were not one of the Corner Workers standing out station for that 11 hr day. Got to give those folks a HUGE Thanks for staying.

No, I wasn't but I greatly appreciate their efforts. I flagged 15 - 20 races a year in the early '80s; I haven't forgotten the long hours in the pouring rain or hot sun.

Rob

theracinglawyer
08-29-2004, 10:22 PM
The Pocono Double National was a mess in more ways than one and I know that it can only get better next year.

1. They did'nt need almost 3 inches of rain on Saturday. It made the place a swamp all over. in the garages, in the infield and in the tunnel.

2. The hours of darkness were fast approaching as the rain stopped and the cold was settling in.

3. Only three races could be run on Saturday because of the above.

4. The remaining races, 4 from Saturday and 7 from the original Sunday schedule were run on Sunday.

5. As the last National races for the year in the Northeast Division that left the Stewards little choice to follow the schedule they did.A few drivers needed both races to qualify for the "RUNOFFS"

6. You can not please everyone but the Stewards did a great job under the most trying of circumstances.But some still bitched and for that right we respect them.

7. For the flaggers that were unduly critical of their treatment, I personally apologize and hope they come back. We need and love you even though we can't tell you individually.

8. The new interchange for Pocono may be in place for next year and the work on Interstate 80 will be complete.I hope

------------------
Love "the commander"
Mike Cefalo
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN