PDA

View Full Version : Driver Mentors

Dave Patten
08-13-2004, 02:26 PM
This topic has spun out of the last thread, but I feel it is important. New drivers really do have mentors in their former SCCA driver’s school instructors. They shouldn't feel abandoned or afraid to ask them for advice, even after completing driver’s school.

I instruct at NER's schools. I am still available to any of my past students after they have completed their schooling. Former students shouldn't feel intimidated to ask their past instructors for advice. I'm sure that any instructor could be approached by a former student for advice.

These guys have volunteered to instruct and are paid with a free lunch. Their interests are to help incoming drivers improve their driving skills and race safely, little more. Most would be honored to have a former student come to them for advice, I know I am.

[This message has been edited by Dave Patten (edited August 13, 2004).]

gran racing
08-13-2004, 05:09 PM
It is very nice of you to say that, but the way I would envision a mentor program would be a much more then that. Also, you are talking about a point in time that is after the fact (so to say). Some of the concerns mentioned in the other thread are that people are out there who need some additional coaching. Why not create something for people BEFORE they go to an SCCA school? NER and other regions could reach out to people that want to become involved in club racing and actually have someone to help them through the process. In the NER magazine that goes out, put a place where people can ask to have a mentor (web site or send in a questionnaire which would help in matching that person with an appropriate mentor).

This would not only help the want-to-be racer, but region as well by getting more participants.

When I went through the two schools, the instructors were extremely helpful and willing to offer advice. It is a bit difficult for the instructors to provide the needed mentorship for the amount of students that would be interested in it. It also leaves out many people that would be willing to mentor another person (or more) simply because they were not there instructing at the school.

I believe there should be a formalized mentor program. I certainly wouldn't have a problem helping someone who is getting started or wants to. Many of us also instruct at HPDEs. The mentor could let the student know that they will be instructing on such and such day and ask them if they had interest in signing up for the event. Having an e-mail address where they can talk to their mentor and not worry about asking silly questions. There is a level of trust between a mentor and "student".

This could even be done on a trial basis to see how things work out. Has there ever been a formal mentor program in the NER or other new england region? Just curious.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

DMaynard
08-13-2004, 06:54 PM
As a first year team with a first year racer, I agree with attending HPDE's before even thinking of attending a racing school.

We had our driver (son) participate in the Skip Barber 2 Day Driving School to learn car control and then had him advance to Ian Prout's Program "Sports Car Driving Association" for a year to learn all about the flags and on track driving before he went to the SCCA Race Schools. I would recommend this to anyone no matter what age the driver is or what experience they have, it gives them a better understanding of what a car can do on the track and how to handle situations that may arise. The instructors at the SCDA were all outstanding, Ian runs a great program.

The SCCA Race Schools were also very informative and showed the big difference between the HPDE and a RACE School (BIG DIFFERENCE), we sent him to one at Summit Point, a 2 Day at NHIS and one at Limerock. All the SCCA Instructors were GREAT!!!!

We have made a Lot of Friends with SCCA and are enjoying our First Year, Just keeping it FUN!

Deb

------------------
3D Race Team (1st Year)
Driver: Dave Maynard
Crew: Dan & Deb Maynard
BMW 325i (Red)
#18 ITS

theracinglawyer
08-14-2004, 12:34 AM
Dave, Dave, and Deb

This has been a favorite subject of mine for years "Mentoring" defined as "AS A WISE AND TRUSTED COUNSELOR OR TEACHER".

In the Law it's taking a young Lawyer and teaching him or her all the things that were glossed over in Law School. Resolving actual ethical problems and other non paying aspects of practicing law.I have done this for more than 30 years and get rewarded every time one of my students helps someone out.

In racing it's teaching the student how to use good judgment in additione to teaching how to go fast. It's telling the new driver the real dangers of making big mistakes, it's relating experiences that you have that were mistakes and how you would handle them now,it's how you gain respect in this sport by being careful when you must and how and when you take chances in this sometimes deadly sport. If enough of us talk it up and show it will help everyone then we will all make a difference in someone's life and that is the biggest reward you can ever get.

I read the reports from LRP from last weekend and see that some drivers were unhappy with of the conduct of other drivers.

Some of the video links referred to were troubling and thus, Mentoring can help us all

------------------
Love "the commander"
Mike Cefalo
BE SAFE GO FAST HAVE FUN

RSTPerformance
08-14-2004, 06:05 PM
I think I can speak for everyone on our team... If anyone needs help (Mentoring) you can always ask us. We have been racing in IT since it started (back in 84) so we have been witness to many many changes over the past 20 years. We have been heavily involved in SCCA NER and other local clubs for over 30 years. We are pleased to know just about everyone as family so if we can't help you then we can tell you who can.

At the track we are always equipped with everything you would need to have a fun successful weekend. We also almost always have technical people on the team that can at a minimum give you the basics in any area. We have certainly battled bad weekends but also are lucky enough to have a multi car team that generally gets at least 1 top 3 finishes. Basically we have dealt with the good, the bad, and the ugly.

When visiting NHIS we live within a half hour of the track so we know where you can get everything from a hard to find part to an all night long nightlife (yes it does exist in NH http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif ).

Feel free to call us anytime or send us an e-mail:

603-228-1254
[email protected]

Raymond "Without competitors their is race" Blethen

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships