PDA

View Full Version : John Stim Memorial Regional 6/19/2004 MoHu LRP

RSTPerformance
06-05-2004, 06:06 PM
It has been way to long since the last race!! Well for some of us I bet it is to quick! How is everyones repairs going anyway?

Anyway here is a quick link to see how many are racing at Lime Rock!
http://www.nescca.com/registration/current...count.asp?ID=89 (http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentcount.asp?ID=89)

And here are the drivers!
http://www.nescca.com/registration/current...ID=89&Class=ITS (http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentnames.asp?ID=89&Class=ITS)

http://www.nescca.com/registration/current...ID=89&Class=ITA (http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentnames.asp?ID=89&Class=ITA)

http://www.nescca.com/registration/current...ID=89&Class=ITB (http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentnames.asp?ID=89&Class=ITB)

http://www.nescca.com/registration/current...ID=89&Class=ITC (http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentnames.asp?ID=89&Class=ITC)

http://www.nescca.com/registration/current...=89&Class=SRX-7 (http://www.nescca.com/registration/currentnames.asp?ID=89&Class=SRX-7)

Jake
06-05-2004, 06:36 PM
Where's my ITA brothers? 15? We had 29 registered at the last LRP race. I hope everyone still isn't sore about the double yellow race.

Greg Amy
06-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Sorry, guys, I'm out. Going to the Indy F1 race that weekend. See you in July! - GA

gran racing
06-05-2004, 09:44 PM
I am really surprised there are only 15 in ITA so far. ITA & SM should be...interesting. Bringing extra yellow body tape to this one.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

moto62
06-06-2004, 01:34 AM
16 now! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

ulfelder
06-06-2004, 04:46 AM
My mechanical repairs are done (new subframe, many new left rear suspension parts). Now it's off to the body shop, where I will need a new door and quarter. Should be done in time for the race, knock wood.

/Steve U
05 ITS

Dave Zaslow
06-06-2004, 06:41 AM
FrankenRabbit is being assembled. Joel High's Rabbit had no engine and trans. My Rabbit's chassis was too twisted to fix. It has donated its internals to Joel. The engine was started yesterday. Joel should be there.

gran racing
06-06-2004, 11:46 AM
SRX-7 - I'm surprised the typical ITA RX-7s are not registered for this. Are there big differences between an ITA prepared RX-7 and a SRX-7?

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

lateapex911
06-06-2004, 04:01 PM
SRX-7s are one of the many spec RX-7 classes. I presume that it is offered in another region that falls under the NESCCA banner.

All this NARRC and NESSCA And NERRC stuff gets confusing.
An ITA RX-7 would not be legal for SRX-7.

Around here, the only RX-7s that run are all IT prepped, and can only race in IT-7, which has been frowned upon as the powers that be want consistant car counts of 6 or more to warrant adding a class.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

RSTPerformance
06-06-2004, 08:40 PM
SRX-7 is an official group this weekend! They are with ITB so we shall have to see how they compaire.

SCHEDULE
Friday June 18,2004 Registration open 6:30pm until 10pm
Saturday June 19, 2004
7AM TO 11AM Registration Open
7:15AM Tech Open
9am Qualifying by Race Groups 20 min.
Following Qualifying - NYSSRC & NARRC RACES 17 LAPS or 23 min.
A lunch break will be held- if time permits Group 1 may race before lunch.

RACE GROUPS
1. GT 1-3,AS,T1,T2,ITE,SPO
2. SSM ,SSB, SSC, ITC
3. SRF, GT4,GT5, E-HP, Legends, SPU
4. CF, NCF, FV, F 500 8. NeDiv Historic Series H1-H5
5. ITS, SRX7, ITB
6. ITA, NARRC SM, SM
7. FA,FC,FM,S2000,DSR,CSR,FF,FSCCA, SRSCCA ,CFC

to answers someones question these are taken directly from the supps for this weekend.....

"NEDIV HISTORIC & SRX7 –These rules can be found on the NNJR & NYSRRC websites respectively."

thaught this was interesting to....

"OVERSUBSCRIBED GROUPS: Every effort will be made to allow all entrants a chance to race. This
means we may have to change race groups. It is possible that your class may be moved to an earlier
race group, please plan accordingly. In the event that there are more than 38 cars entered in a group, the
following procedure applies. Each car's qualifying time is compare as a percentage of the leader's time in
that class. (Example: Your time is 65 seconds, the class leader has 60 seconds. The comparison is 65/60 x
100=108%.) Cars with the highest percentages become alternates for the race, to the point where the field
is filled. Cars beyond 120% may be excluded. In single class race groups, the fastest 38 will qualify. If
possible there may be a non-points, non trophy consolation race for those that do not qualify."

Stephen

lateapex911
06-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Well, it will be interesting to see if any SRX-7s show. I will be surprised to see any.

Also, the grouping is very weird. ITA, SSM, and SM in the same group???

Here's a bet: They ADD a group, and ITA races alone, or with SSM.

The numbers from the last LRP race for those classes add up to a potential group of around 80 cars!

I'm sure there is a logic to the plan, but frankly, I need to have it explained to me.

The only explanation I can see is that MoHud anticipates much lower subscription across the board. But even so, I can't remember the last LRP race that had less than 20 ITA cars, and SM, AND SSM has been well over 20 cars for a long time as well. With a limit of 38, I can't see how these 3 classes make for a good group.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

ITSRX7
06-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Whoops.

[This message has been edited by ITSRX7 (edited June 06, 2004).]

ITSRX7
06-06-2004, 11:50 PM
Jake,

I think that based on the last LRP race, SM and ITA would be about 45 cars. It's SSM that was huge, right?

SSM shows in group 2, not 6 - right?

AB

RSTPerformance
06-07-2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ITSRX7:
Jake,

I think that based on the last LRP race, SM and ITA would be about 45 cars. It's SSM that was huge, right?

SSM shows in group 2, not 6 - right?

AB

That is correct. NARRC SM and SM are in one group and then you have SSM in another group by themselves. who would have thought... 3 miata classes. and we can't get one more IT class go figure?

I Think we should just create IT2. I don't understand why we can't create it since we would have more than 6 cars per event. I am not in the class but I will ask for it at the next bored meeting if 6 poeple will gaurentee they enter for the rest of the year and we use some set of rules I can give them.

Stephen

ITSRX7
06-07-2004, 09:16 AM
Stephen,

I don't think that is a good idea. IT2 isn't (IMHO) a legitamate IT class. It IS a legitimate idea that has seen some traction in bits and pieces (Neon and SE-R to ITA, etc...) but a close look excludes rear drive as a rule. It is based on design as well as performance envelope. Seems like someting NASA should be interested in, but not the SCCA.

If and when PCA's go through, this stuff will sort itself out. IMO, the real class that is needed is one ABOVE ITS.

What is the difference between NARRC SM and SM? Didn't the NEDiv spec in the Toyo as a unit?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

7racing
06-07-2004, 10:11 AM
What is the difference between NARRC SM and SM? Didn't the NEDiv spec in the Toyo as a unit?

That's my question as well. I thought "NARRC SM" would be SSM. Maybe we are all missing something, but three SM classes is a little odd.

IF my motor gets back to me this week, I will probably be racing in ITA (finally). However, my motor guy has already hinted that it might not be ready.

Yes, there is a long story to go along with my motor issues.

Greg Amy
06-07-2004, 10:32 AM
According to the supps, as best I can tell:

- SSM = your basic NEDiv Showroom Spec Miata, last year's SM rules (with Toyos)

- NARRC SM = Nationally-published (GCR) Spec Miata rules with the addition of a spec tire, the Toyo.

- SM = Nationally-published (GCR) Spec Miata rules without a spec tire, also known as Spec Miata Tire (SMT).

The confusion comes in because the GCR-published SM rules state that "...individual regions may require spec tires". However, recall in the initial negotiations for GCR SM rules that if a region specs a tire then they must also accomodate anyone that wishes to race but does not have the spec tire (thus, SMT). It is unlikely that anyone will arrive to compete in Spec Miata without Toyos, but they must be accomodated if they do. Therefore, when considering the potential participation of the race groups, the expected SM/SMT numbers can be expected to be low. Unless...

...read back what Stephen wrote in regards to bumping. If I were a slow "NARRC SM" or SSM guy, I'd change my entry to SM/SMT, thereby guaranteeing myself a place in the roster. MoHud should be prepared to accomodate 100% of the entries of the various Spec Miata classes; any car prepared to SSM rules can choose from one of three classes in order to guarantee their inclusion. Further, any NARRC SM-prepared car has one of two classes. The only persons that will be limited to one choice are those that arrive with something other than Toyos, and the numbers of those will be very low.

Good luck.

Greg

Jake
06-07-2004, 12:05 PM
As for adding a class, I still have the ITA-LITE stickers on my MR2. All you RX7's are invited to play too!

As for the "You may have to run earlier" thing - that is expressly forbidden in the GCR. However, I can see the run groups looking like: 1, 6a, 6b, 6c, 6d, 6e, 7, 8 to get around it http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

RSTPerformance
06-07-2004, 10:04 PM
Stephen,

I don't think that is a good idea. IT2 isn't (IMHO) a legitamate IT class. It IS a legitimate idea that has seen some traction in bits and pieces (Neon and SE-R to ITA, etc...) but a close look excludes rear drive as a rule. It is based on design as well as performance envelope. Seems like someting NASA should be interested in, but not the SCCA.

If and when PCA's go through, this stuff will sort itself out. IMO, the real class that is needed is one ABOVE ITS.

AB

We should be able to create any class we want with any rules. This is exactly what the Spec miata guys did. I should even be able to make an Audi class with it's own rules If I could promise at least 6 cars. Thats all the sm guys did. It doesn't really matter to me but someone like Gregg or any of the other IT2 guys or even the IT lite guys might want the class. Jsut a thought. Everyone always wnats a class between ITS and ITA so why don't we just make one. IT shouldn;t be that hard as long as we make some clear rules. SM basically took SS rules with some mods we can tkae IT rules with some mods. Easy as that. Like I said it doesn't benifit me in anyway I was jsut kinda wondering why we never did this before.

Stephen

gran racing
06-07-2004, 10:54 PM
Not quite as simple as that. Other wise we'd have like 80 IT classes.

And IT lite might benefit you, not that it really matters. (And yes, I get where you're coming from) You might not have some of the cars being moved into B - instead they could be put into IT lite.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

ITSRX7
06-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
We should be able to create any class we want with any rules. This is exactly what the Spec miata guys did. I should even be able to make an Audi class with it's own rules If I could promise at least 6 cars. Thats all the sm guys did. It doesn't really matter to me but someone like Gregg or any of the other IT2 guys or even the IT lite guys might want the class. Jsut a thought. Everyone always wnats a class between ITS and ITA so why don't we just make one. IT shouldn;t be that hard as long as we make some clear rules. SM basically took SS rules with some mods we can tkae IT rules with some mods. Easy as that. Like I said it doesn't benifit me in anyway I was jsut kinda wondering why we never did this before.

Stephen

We can and should make classes that people will drive in. The reason nobody has asked - I bet there is little to no demand. With the changes the SCCA is making, it should be moot. My point was that IT2 isn't the solution we need - all IMHO.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

[This message has been edited by ITSRX7 (edited June 08, 2004).]

RSTPerformance
06-08-2004, 02:36 AM
We can and should make classes that people will drive in. The reason nobody has asked - I bet there is little to no demand. With the changes the SCCA is making, it should be moot. My point was that IT2 isn't the solution we need - all IMHO.

AB

I agree. We should stick to what they are doing and have 4 classes for IT.

It's also probably good that SM is split into 2 so everyone can race and by having SSM you have that stepping stone to SM.

I still wish some SRX-7 cars would show so that I can see how fast I am compaired to them. My goal is to reach the 4's. Last year I was at a 105.01 which was ohhhh so close!

On another note. I met a guy that has created a tool to measure bore, stroke, and CC within .001% and the best part is that all you need to do is remove the spark plug! do you think such a tool would be benificial for NER so we have a simple tool to check legality amongst us? Could I provide it for tech so then they just have it a mandatory top 3 thing or do I need to protest the others to have them checked?

Stephen

ITSRX7
06-08-2004, 07:44 AM
On another note. I met a guy that has created a tool to measure bore, stroke, and CC within .001% and the best part is that all you need to do is remove the spark plug! do you think such a tool would be benificial for NER so we have a simple tool to check legality amongst us? Could I provide it for tech so then they just have it a mandatory top 3 thing or do I need to protest the others to have them checked?

Stephen

Stephen,

Some of us would love a tool like this to be available. The only issue is that it must be calibrated, certified and available for competitors to inspect. Do it!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

Jake
06-08-2004, 11:04 AM
I also don't think IT2 is right anymore with the recent IT changes. However, I could see ITA-LITE being used in NER for all us that aren't in the NEW ITA. ITA-LITE would be a S-RX7 + others for our region. We could include any ITA car that has more than 21 lbs for every stock HP it has. Call it the waiting list for ITB reclass!

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited June 08, 2004).]

gran racing
06-08-2004, 12:03 PM
I'll play in IT-lite for a year then...(hopefully no more)

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

Jake
06-11-2004, 10:02 AM
Is there any way we can get special allowance from the head office to allow more cars on the track at a time? I've done EMRA races at LRP with up to 45 cars and have had a GREAT time. Seems like that kind of allowance may help our LRP situation. IMHO I'd MUCH prefer a 45 car field to a 20 car field ANY day.

RKramden
06-11-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Jake:
As for the "You may have to run earlier" thing - that is expressly forbidden in the GCR.

Jake, Where is it? I couldn't find it.

In any case, since the notice is in the supps, what is in the GCR does not matter.

The supps trump the GCR every time.

JohnRW
06-11-2004, 03:32 PM
I believe what Jake is referring to is addressed in the "Stewards Operations Manual" or just the "Club Racing Operations Manual", rather than the GCR.

The folks charged with managing the schedule over a weekend can't take Group 8 and suddenly make it Group 1, which could result in many of those Group 8 guys watching their race from their sleeping bags. You can, however, gerrymander things so that you eliminate Groups 1-7, and create Groups 8-16 (with 9-16 being the former 1-7), accomplishing the same thing. The moral of the story: Never piss off a Steward.

stevel
06-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Is there any way we can get special allowance from the head office to allow more cars on the track at a time? I've done EMRA races at LRP with up to 45 cars and have had a GREAT time. Seems like that kind of allowance may help our LRP situation. IMHO I'd MUCH prefer a 45 car field to a 20 car field ANY day.

For the last NER regional at LRP I think they were allowing 42 car fields. They have a max of 40, I believe, and have to get permission to run more than that. SSM and SM were so much bigger so they ended up splitting up the groups to accomodate everyone. I would assume MoHud would do the same if a particular group is seriously oversubscribed.

steve

RKramden
06-11-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by JohnRW:
I believe what Jake is referring to is addressed in the "Stewards Operations Manual" or just the "Club Racing Operations Manual", rather than the GCR.

If it's not in the GCR (and the spec books) or the Supps, it's not a rule, it's a reccomendation, at best.

Of course, we can have the stewards delaying the race for Race group 1 by an hour because Paul Newman was late getting to the track, can't we. :-(

RKramden
06-11-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by stevel:
For the last NER regional at LRP I think they were allowing 42 car fields. They have a max of 40, I believe, and have to get permission to run more than that. SSM and SM were so much bigger so they ended up splitting up the groups to accomodate everyone. I would assume MoHud would do the same if a particular group is seriously oversubscribed.

steve

We had to get permission to go over 38. The Exec Steward happened to be at the track, so getting it was easy. He granted permission to run 4 extra cars. (10%)

lateapex911
06-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Newman!

Said in your best Seinfeld voice...

So, it wasn't the timing system?? And it wsan't the DMV...er I mean the state police who "forgot" it was on their schedule?

Hmmm...maybe next year we make GT-1 the third group.

In any event it was good to see the old guy braking past the three and scaring the tar out of AS drivers with his outside passes!

(But yes, a bad precedent, and we all know that the race wouldn't have waited for nearly any of us...)

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

lateapex911
06-11-2004, 11:50 PM
Well, we're over. 42 cars in group six, that is... I just registered and we now stand at 43. 24 ITA cars so far....

Interestingly, 113 of the 222 registered at this point at in the IT family. 39 Miatas, 20 ITS cars, 6 ITC cars, and 20 ITB cars!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 12, 2004).]

p99ro
06-12-2004, 12:16 AM
Cool lots of cars and no yellows.
I`m number 21. Hey jake I`ll race you in ITA lite. Have you put a new can of paint on the car?
Scott CRX 09 ITA NER
No the other Jake. Jake.
P.S. how`s the cabinet? Jake

[This message has been edited by p99ro (edited June 12, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by p99ro (edited June 12, 2004).]

Jake
06-12-2004, 06:30 AM
Yup - another expert application of Krylon Sunburst yellow over a set of fenders and a door fresh out of the junk yard! I've gone all out this time - I even used primer.

Scott, you already went ovet to the dark side - but I'll do my best to come after you anyway. You saw my super secret engine debut already last fall - the one from the junk yard that runs on ALL four cylinders! It's amazing what that does for a 1.6L.

Dano77
06-12-2004, 09:44 PM
Hondas are not legal for it-lite. It should be for carb cars & anything proven slower than my crappy RX7. They should also run on Mcreary Trak-Stars bought from Dans Raceing Service. No store bought parts either,go to the boneyard to shop. Or the motorsports isle of the local Home Depot. The car should also have style,say custom moulding removal,body line disappearence etc. American raceing gray is a legal & encouraged color. Dimpleing of front fenders for aero is allowed,as is duct tape 1/4 panels.
All of my statements should be taken inb good humor.as I Will be back in a 7 running in the proposed IT Lite. See you all soon.
Dan

lateapex911
06-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Dano77:
All of my statements should be taken inb good humor.as I Will be back in a 7 running in the proposed IT Lite. See you all soon.
Dan

Oh??? And when can we expect the debut of your new IT rotary beast??

Is the Miata sold? (And...why are you making the change?) (Inside info isn't good regarding the RX-7s competitive future....)

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

gran racing
06-13-2004, 10:05 AM
No Hondas in IT Lite? Oh! But I want to play. Jake was even nice enough to help me add very pretty yellow racers tape to the car to make sure I get in. Slow Hondas should be allowed. Just no CRXs.

Scott - IT Lite for you? Maybe we'll have to put you into IT Heavy.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

lateapex911
06-13-2004, 01:16 PM
IT Lite? CRXs? NO. Integras? NO. Qualudes? Sure! That Civic Dom has?? hmmmm...we have issues there!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

moto62
06-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by p99ro:
... Hey jake I`ll race you in ITA lite.
Scott CRX 09 ITA NER

Dude. You should be running with the ITA heavies. You can make your car faster by transferring some of the weight.....to your right foot http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Originally posted by Jake G.That Civic Dom has?? hmmmm...we have issues there!</font>

Why even mention that car. It has a V-8 in it http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Originally posted by Dave(gran racing)Slow Hondas should be allowed.</font>

There is no such thing as a slow honda

moto62
06-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Group 6 now has 47 cars registered. Can anyone say NINE race groups? If it turns out that way again, I will graciously bow out and save my $200 to do battle some other day.
Ray

RSTPerformance
06-14-2004, 03:11 AM
No SRX-7's ???

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Ramond

7racing
06-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by moto62:
Group 6 now has 47 cars registered. Can anyone say NINE race groups? If it turns out that way again, I will graciously bow out and save my $200 to do battle some other day.
Ray

47 cars!!??!!?? 24 ITA!!??!??

Damn It, where is my motor? Oh, here it is. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Jeremy

Terry Hanushek
06-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Raymond

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">No SRX-7's ??? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif </font>

SRX7 is primarily a DC Region class. MARRS 4 is the following weekend so it is unlikely that they will venture up to Lime Rock. Too bad.

Terry

Tom Blaney
06-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 7racing:
47 cars!!??!!?? 24 ITA!!??!??

Damn It, where is my motor? Oh, here it is. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Jeremy

Your gonna need more than a motor bucco, brass ones and bondo......

lateapex911
06-14-2004, 07:17 PM
No SRX-7's ???

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Ramond

yea, ain't gonna happen...I have never seen one at any track I've run (Pococno, WGI, LRP, NHIS)
except Road Atlanta...at the ARRCs

You're stuck with us IT-7 guys...except we don't have that class, so we are ITA.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Amy
06-14-2004, 07:46 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...except we don't have that class, so we are ITA.</font>

I don't know the whole deal, but...since SRX7 is a regional-specified class, and no one seems to be entering it, and it's on the docket, why don't you ITA/7 guys get together and CALL yourselves SRX7, enter as SRX7, and have yourselves a SRX7 race? If you're the only ones to enter, who's gonna protest you...?

lateapex911
06-14-2004, 08:19 PM
Well, a couple of things...

For one, the cars are, I think, pretty different. I think the SRX-7s run on narrower rims and headers aren't kosher...two BIG things. Running an ITA RX-7 as an SRX-7 would be misleading when the results are looked at. Kind of like finding out on the QT later that a certain car set a record, but was illegal.

And as far as I'm concerned, we're IT-7s, and ITA cars, so that's just where we belong.

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 14, 2004).]

7racing
06-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
Well, a couple of things...

For one, the cars are, I think, pretty different. I think the SRX-7s run on narrower rims and headers aren't kosher...two BIG things.

I thought that the SRX7 rules were different in different parts of the country. The DC rules are pretty much SS cars, while out west I believe they are more IT7 like in their rules. Which SRX7 rules are being used for this weekend?

Originally by Tom Blaney:
Your gonna need more than a motor bucco, brass ones and bondo......

Heh. Bondo is easy. As for brass ones...that's why I bought the bigger truck. Needed something to carry them around in. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by 7racing (edited June 15, 2004).]

Dano77
06-15-2004, 09:01 PM
SRX7 is basically 83 ss rules in DC region, Out west theyre 83SS rules EXCEPT: Different carbs & headers ithink Need to call our back pocket out of region steward for confirmation. Jeremy,s correct thou. All the balls are in the truck.HA HA. All the bondos in my soon to be re-released RX7. Im going for the trophy Jake. Its gonna be between you & me till the Chee Man gets done. The miata may actually leave the country all together,deal in the makeing...
Why dont we have an offical IT7 class in the northeast. Then the top 3-5 can go kick some rebel butt in atlanta in 2005. Jake,you quallified well against those guys with no track time. Hmmmm
just a thought Dan

lateapex911
06-16-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Dano77:
SRX7 is basically 83 ss rules in DC region, Out west theyre 83SS rules EXCEPT: Different carbs & headers ithink Need to call our back pocket out of region steward for confirmation. Jeremy,s correct thou. All the balls are in the truck.HA HA. All the bondos in my soon to be re-released RX7. Im going for the trophy Jake. Its gonna be between you & me till the Chee Man gets done. The miata may actually leave the country all together,deal in the makeing...
Why dont we have an offical IT7 class in the northeast. Then the top 3-5 can go kick some rebel butt in atlanta in 2005. Jake,you quallified well against those guys with no track time. Hmmmm
just a thought Dan

More like 12 thoughts!

Well, the IT-7 thing...we've discussed it numerous times, but the numbers aren't there at some events, but OK at others. At this point, it's a no go for this year. And the whole IT world is up in the air until the BOD votes on all the PCA and inter-class moves in August. At that point we can take a look and see where the RX-7 lands vis a vis the ITA big dogs, or in another class.

(my feeling is not good at this point. Too many guys are saying "the RX-7s win where I run"....which may be true, but I am unsure how valid those wins actually are. [trust me, if someone out there has the RX-7 dialed in enough to run withe the fast big dogs (Fowler, Serra to start), I would LOVE for him to not tell me how he did it, but what were we are all doing wrong])!

IF it continues to be a ITA backmarker, then we can discuss the validity of requesting an IT-7 class be added to the mix. I hope it doesn't come to that...

I look forward to your new 7, bring it on! (But make sure its an ITA RX-7, not an ITA/EP, or ITA/GT3 RX-7... http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif )

And it's not just you and me...last year Norm Latulippe turned some good times, and the 2 Ds are getting down there as well. And Grant has clearly stepped it up as well. Lou's been driving a broken car, he will be a new man too.

And we don't need an IT-7 class here to play in Atlanta.... sounds like your car will be ready...mark your calender...and no "I'm getting married" excuses! LOL, just kiddin' Jamie!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Jake
06-16-2004, 06:43 AM
That actually is a pretty good idea.

No, wait, that's a terrible idea! You RX7 guys aren't going to leave me in ITA?!? First Dave leaves then this? Can MR2's run in SRX7? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

dpc
06-16-2004, 08:42 AM
Was this thread intended for RX-7s come on guys. See you all on Friday. An ex RX-7 racer dave

Jake
06-16-2004, 09:45 AM
I can't wait for the John Stim RX7 Regional! Whoops! Looking at the numbers, at this point a single Miata group would have worked better than the ITA/SM supergroup of 47 we have now. Does this mean ITA runs alone in 6a or do the slow people get booted out?

ITSRX7
06-16-2004, 10:35 AM
I can't wait for the John Stim RX7 Regional! Whoops! Looking at the numbers, at this point a single Miata group would have worked better than the ITA/SM supergroup of 47 we have now. Does this mean ITA runs alone in 6a or do the slow people get booted out?

I would guess that they would split this group into 6A (ITA) and 6B (SM). I put them in that order because they are listed in that order on the supps.

Group 5 is also a problem at 42 right now but I am willing to bet that will shrink with some now-shows to an acceptable level...

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any obvious way to re-shuffle the groups to make it better. The Historic class is the one that is gunking up the works with an under-twenty session. However, I would think that run-group represents additional dollars to the MoHud.

We are getting to the point were the Regional Comp Boards will have some soul-searching to do this off-season. It looks like IT racing is at an all-time high in the Northeast and with 1 1/2 mile tracks like LRP and NHIS to run on, there just isn't enough room.

BTW - Look here for SRX-7: www.rx7-miata.com/srx7/srx7main.html (http://www.rx7-miata.com/srx7/srx7main.html)

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

[This message has been edited by ITSRX7 (edited June 16, 2004).]

moto62
06-17-2004, 01:43 AM
I would guess that they would split this group into 6A (ITA) and 6B (SM).
AB

I there any possible way of finding out this info before we troop it up to the Rock on Fri?
Ray

ITSRX7
06-17-2004, 08:38 AM
I doubt it. My assumption above has already had other alternatives poised.

I have heard that there may be a split qualify and then a consolation race for the back of the pack instead of splitting the run group. To me, this is strange because you would have to have two different run groups to accomplish this, no?

Anyway, I plan on going and having a good time either way. The Region will do what it thinks is best, especially givin the first event up there this year.

Like I said above, the Regional Comp Boards will have some soul-searching to do this winter.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

gran racing
06-17-2004, 09:23 AM
Consolation race? Not so sure I like that idea. Being a mid-pack driver, it would stink to be one of the last cars in the "main" race. But I guess it could be pretty cool being more towards the front of the consolation race.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

benspeed
06-17-2004, 02:11 PM
Bad news for me - shop put my rebuilt motor in the #33 RX7 and it wouldn't rev over 7K. Old Ianetti seals were no good so I'm dropping the big $$ for new.

Does anybody have an ITS car for rent for LRP?

Cheers,

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
[email protected]
NNJR

16v
06-18-2004, 08:32 AM
is it safe to assume that the schedule listed above is correct? I just may head down tomorrow to shoot the race. Looks to be plenty of cars coming=action http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Doug :)
NER.org (http://ner.org)
the16v.com (http://the16v.com)
briansgarage.com (http://www.briansgarage.com)

benspeed
06-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Surprise - I will be coming! The shop worked all night at got the car finished - blew me away! Kudos go to KD Rotary in PA.

Hopefully all ready to race.

Jake
06-18-2004, 11:52 AM
Thanks Doug! Cool - pretty pics, and I just put a new coat of Krylon on.

16v
06-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks Doug! Cool - pretty pics, and I just put a new coat of Krylon on.

I'll do my best to get your photogenic side

lateapex911
06-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Uh oh..no time to buff....feel free to shoot the right side, no clay embedded there (yet). (If I happen to get close to the action, that is, like when they lap me! http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif )

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 18, 2004).]

16v
06-18-2004, 06:02 PM
heehee

RSTPerformance
06-18-2004, 06:46 PM
Doug (16v)

Take a close look at the lettering on our cars...

Thanks for all the pictures of everyone!!! You take great pictures and I love being able to look back at them every once in a while http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Raymond

Greg Amy
06-19-2004, 06:55 PM
So, how did the day go?

(It is SO cool to sit there with F1 cars blasting by 30 feet away at 160mph...)

Jake
06-19-2004, 10:37 PM
Incredibly!!!! At least for group 6:

... IMHO I'd MUCH prefer a 45 car field to a 20 car field ANY day.

I got my way, well sort of. Our SM/ITA run group 6 had 49 cars at the beginning of the day. Instead of splitting the group into 6a and 6b, they did a wonderful thing and got special permission to run a group of 46. Since we couldn't qualify with 49 cars, they ran split the qualifying session, which worked great. In fact 10 minutes of 20 cars works MUCH better than 20 minutes of 40 cars when it comes to trying to get a single good lap. The only downside was that the 3 slowest cars in qualifying couldn't get into our run group - but they let them run with the historic guys at the end of the day. Even that worked well since that let them (probably rookies) run in a smaller crowd of more defensive drivers. So let me be the first to say - good job officials!! If the run groups were aligned slightly different, we probably could have kept them together.

lateapex911
06-19-2004, 11:05 PM
Yes, in the morning, we had a registered count of 50 or so, but that dropped at Q time, and in the end it worked very well.

Our group, (6) was the biggest issue numbers-wise, and having the SMs in there made it super important to get a good Q lap. I didn't, and if I had gone 1 second faster I would have moved up nearly 20 spots! Wow!

I think that MoHud exceeded expectations...

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 19, 2004).]

moto62
06-20-2004, 12:44 AM
I think that MoHud exceeded expectations...

I agree totally. On the way home, Kim and I talked about the qualifying scenario and how everyone got to race even if you did not qualify for the group. You got your track time for your money. Well done I say http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

Dano77
06-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Sound as thuogh every thing was great.Sorry we couldn't make it.Had to work a real job.how did all the other IT groups go. I heard Paula put the Miata into the wall,Is she OK (Andy). Both cars should be at NHIS. The 240 should go well & Ill still run the Miata in 5th or 6th. See you soon,
Dan

ITSRX7
06-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Paula is fine. She will give you the run-down in NH. Can't wait to see the 240!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

Jake
06-20-2004, 05:09 PM
...if I had gone 1 second faster I would have moved up nearly 20 spots! Wow!

Wow indeed! I was looking over the results sheet and there were 24, yes 24 cars that had fast lap times that were within 1 second of my fastest lap. That's good racing!!! In fact there wasn't a single lap that I wasn't battling someone for position.

lateapex911
06-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Wow indeed! I was looking over the results sheet and there were 24, yes 24 cars that had fast lap times that were within 1 second of my fastest lap. That's good racing!!! In fact there wasn't a single lap that I wasn't battling someone for position.

Nice job on the new Hoosiers, Jake.

My post mortem revealed the reason I was spooked and thought the new Hoosiers were "pretty loose". No front sway bar! Arrrg! I wonder what THAT is worth time-wise?? (and..more importantly, grid-wise. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif )

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 20, 2004).]

lateapex911
06-20-2004, 05:46 PM
ooops....

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 20, 2004).]

Jake
06-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Wow - you kicked butt for not having a front sway bar. I'd be too scared to even try to drive mine without one. I can tell you that I wouldn't be going straight for long. So for now, I think we're neck and neck in points for the NER ITA-LITE title!

gran racing
06-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Jake - you'll have to see the video! Going 3 wide with the SM in between us was pretty intense.

Great racing all day. I really enjoyed watching the Historic race and the Mini keeping up with the big boys. Very cool!

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

JackH55
06-21-2004, 02:17 PM
Jake,
Glad you enjoyed the weekend. I was able to get a waiver on the 38 cars because I told the Exec Steward that we were dealing with two of our best groups as far as drivers were concerned. We had permission for both group 5 & 6. The way we split the groups was the best with the numbers involved. any other way would have meant more than 3 not qualifying. It would also have created havoc with reserved numbers. BTW every group had a 15 minute qualifying session including 6 and 6A. It would not have come off if groups 2,5 and 6 had not run such a clean race. Congratulations to all of you.
Total count for weekend 311 cars.
Of that about 142 were IT,SM or SS.

Jack

lateapex911
06-21-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by JackH55:
Jake,
I was able to get a waiver on the 38 cars because I told the Exec Steward that we were dealing with two of our best groups as far as drivers were concerned.
Jack

Did they measure the length of your nose before and after you said that Jack?? (wink, wink, kidding.... Kidding!!)

In any case, and I know I don't go back that far, but I have to think that that waiver is one of the highest SCCA has ever granted for Lime Rock.

The more I look at this, the better MoHud looks....

And regarding the lap times, in a field of 46 ITA/SM cars (!!!!) the slowest car was only off the winners pace by under 6 seconds! And the track looks like it might have been about a half second slow or so. If you went a 1:05.0, you had 6 guys within 1 second in front of you, and 15 guys within 1 second behind you! And if you went a 1:05.75, you had 15 guys to race with that were .25 seconds faster or slower! Wow! Jake is right! Pity guys like Serra and Ray Lee Chee...must be boring up front!

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 21, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited June 21, 2004).]

Tom Blaney
06-21-2004, 04:43 PM
And regarding the lap times, in a field of 46 ITA/SM cars (!!!!) the slowest car was only off the winners pace by under 6 seconds! And the track looks like it might have been about a half second slow or so. If you went a 1:05.0, you had 6 guys within 1 second in front of you, and 15 guys within 1 second behind you! And if you went a 1:05.75, you had 15 guys to race with that were .25 seconds faster or slower! Wow! Jake is right! Pity guys like Serra and Ray Lee Chee...must be boring up front!

This was definatly one of the more exciting races I ever ran. Starting back in 36th (bad balljoint) gave a whole new meaning to backmarker!!!! As we were rolling out onto the grid, I was thinking "Holy crap look at all the damn cars" I can't even see the front few rows.

I did end up in 9th overall, and I really had to work my butt off, but some of the battles between the SM's had to make me laugh. Those guys are serious!!! I saw more insurance claims for fenders and doors than I can imagine!!!

Good fun and a real eye opener, It's actually more fun to run from the back than to chase one or two guys for the lead.

http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Jake
06-21-2004, 06:52 PM
Tom - welcome to my world!

gran racing
06-21-2004, 09:35 PM
36th? I did one of my faster laps I've done - in past races it would have made me about mid pack. Not this race! A high 1:06 got me 39th place.

Thankfully for Tom and I very few people in the back / mid pack went when it turned green. Here I thought I was missing something.

The SM combination was pretty interesting. Overall pretty fun but at times it got a bit frustrating.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

p99ro
06-21-2004, 11:39 PM
Yes Mo Hud did a great job.
I`m glad we had a yellow free race good job to all. Believe me it was fun passing the back markers.last year I was a back marker. TJ did a great job of tracking me down with a clean and very fast pass in the up hill. But some one needs to tell the Harley CRX to put both feet in. What that shot did`nt show was me diving to the grass as the car continued across the track. TJ did a great job missing him too.
I had a blast. And Tom you were coming I saw you in my mirrior behind Phil.
Scott NER CRXsi 09 ITA

[This message has been edited by p99ro (edited June 22, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by p99ro (edited June 22, 2004).]

moto62
06-22-2004, 01:27 AM
Pity guys like Serra and Ray Lee Chee...must be boring up front!

Not really. We caught traffic after about five laps(dig) and that's when all the fun began. I enjoyed the traffic and although I've heard mixed feelings on the ITA/SM combo, I thought it was great. Continuous slicing and dicing. Chasing Serra around LRP-boring, chasing Serra through a continuous onslaught of traffic-priceless.
Ray