PDA

View Full Version : Going through school without a crew

anthony1k
06-15-2004, 12:02 AM
Days away from my first SCCA school at Lime Rock on 6/18 and friends are dropping out like flies! I’ve been told that having a crew is absolutely necessary. I’d like to hear what you guys think. Should I try to go through it solo or should I drop out?
Thank you in advance…
Anthony

itracer
06-15-2004, 12:22 AM
If your car is bullet proof and will not need anything but gas (contact and rare repairs aside), it is possible. Not easy, but possible.

Paddok/park REALLY close to the tower/classroom so you don't have to run back and forth to B paddok.

Keep working on the friends, but it is possible to do it alone.

------------------
Jason
ITB 17 (NER SCCA)
VW Scirocco

JeffYoung
06-15-2004, 05:02 AM
I did it alone, with two other guys who were there by themselves as well. I'd say 30-40% of the guys at my school (roebling 2003) were "loners." Definitely possible. I would definitely NOT miss my school due to "lack" of crew.

Bill Umstead
06-15-2004, 08:22 AM
Anthony,

We will be at LRP on the 18th for the school with my new driver. We're running a white ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 in Group 2. We'll be paddocked in B Paddock. I have a friend that is also assisting us so we have some hands available should you need it.

Bill Umstead

gran racing
06-15-2004, 10:12 AM
Anthony, park near Bill!!! I wouldn't drop out of the school, but having someone there is very helpful. Fill the gas tank up, clean the windshield, replace broken stuff.

I planned on going to my school solo but fortunately a few friends helped me out. In my school, stuff that never has happened before happened (but of course). I had a problem getting my passenger power window down. Don't know why, never had that problem before. If I were there by myself, I probably would have just given up and took the big hammer to it. But got out of the classroom and my crew got it working again.

I'm sure that things will go fine for you, but it will be a lot less stressful not having to worry about "what ifs".

Bring Bill's and his crew a 12 pack in a cooler for after the event, and things will work out.

Have fun at the school!! What a blast they are.

------------------
Dave Gran
NER #13 ITA
'87 Honda Prelude

joeg
06-15-2004, 10:15 AM
Anthony--Be sure you inform your instructor of your plight when you are first introduced at the school.

Run with extra gas (fill the tank), so if you forget to check the gas for a session you will not have a problem.

Stay on the track!!

Have fun.

lateapex911
06-15-2004, 07:55 PM
But don't fill it all the way unless you are SURE it won't spray out after 4 left corners in a row!

Getting black flagged and having to siphon gas out sucks....well, I bet it does,,I haven't done that ....yet....!

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

anthony1k
06-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Thank you guys for the advice. You talked me into staying in it.
Bill, thank you for your generous offer. I think I'll be taking you up on it. I'll try not to get in the way. I'll be driving a black ITE 944, #41.
Anthony

HOOSER 99
06-16-2004, 12:51 AM
anthony i'll be at the skool on friday also, helping someone. i'll be next to bill u cause he's cool and i'm going to try to steal my # back. i'm more than willing to help you out

jerry monaghan

anthony1k
06-16-2004, 01:07 AM
Jerry,
Thank you for your offer. It is nice to know that I could count on fellow competitors for help if needed. I look forward to meeting you and Bill.
Anthony

THawkbh
06-16-2004, 11:35 PM
Anthony, I'm Bills new driver. As he said, we will have lots of extra hands. One of my friends may come by later in the day and you can probably get him to do some dirty work for you. I assume we will be running together. They got us grouped with the GT1,2,3 and T1,2 guys. Looks like were going to have to watch our behinds! good luck this weekend! I'll see you tomorrow afternoon.

------------------
Drew
18 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
HRG '74 Porsche 914-6 #49

[This message has been edited by THawkbh (edited June 17, 2004).]

THawkbh
06-16-2004, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by HOOSER 99:
anthony i'll be at the skool on friday also, helping someone. i'll be next to bill u cause he's cool and i'm going to try to steal my # back. i'm more than willing to help you out

jerry monaghan
You trying to take my #99? I'll race you for it.

------------------
Drew
18 years old
Wyndenup Racing
ITS Mazda RX-7 #99 - Me
HRG '74 Porsche 914-6 #49

THawkbh
06-19-2004, 09:40 PM
Alright, so how did you guys all do this weekend. I got the car down to 1:10 by the end of the last session, not bad considering I've never driven the car before, and have VERY little experience with a 5-speed. I think though that if I stop braking before the uphill, west bend and the downhill, and brake a little later for big bend, that I could easily get it down to 1:05/1:06. Next school I'll really focus on that(and the flags...). So what about you guys?