PDA

View Full Version : SM, SSM, ITA July4th??????

dpc
05-20-2004, 09:28 PM
Is this going to happen, does anyone know for sure. dave

Jake
05-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Don't toy with us. You made me look at the schedule. Miatas, Formula BMW, Formula Fords, even Drifting - but no ITA of course.

Blix
05-20-2004, 10:05 PM
Where can I find info about the miatas running that weekend?

E

16v
05-20-2004, 11:01 PM
loose lips sink ships

moto62
05-21-2004, 12:35 AM
July 4th Weekend:
A: specialty needs
B: Restricted Regional (Miata SM,SSM,ITA)
C: Race chair

The above was taken from meeting topics post. I guess this idea is only in the discussion phase right now. If it happens, I'm in. Row baby row http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif
Ray

Jake
05-21-2004, 11:23 AM
I still think this is just a rumor - but here's my theory of where it is coming from: It looks like in the July Regional one of the SM groups is running with ITA. So I guess the thought is that if Spec Miata splits into 2, might as well throw in ITA cars too?

dpc
05-21-2004, 11:35 AM
Where is the July Regional??? not at LRP. dave

16v
05-21-2004, 11:44 AM
I believe the reference is to the ALMS weekend support events

dpc
05-21-2004, 12:13 PM
Say dick, tell what is going on. dave

bg43wex
05-21-2004, 01:01 PM
You want the truth? you can't handle the truth..
Random movie reference

Actually the the discussion will be, is NER interested in running a restricted regional for MIATAS ONLY, sm, ssm, or ITA miatas, at the July 4th weekend NO other cars allowed.

Sorry!

this is at the request of the track.
the problem is appearence, the track feels that the miatas are the cleanest due to so many being newer, and on the tracks preimere weekend they can dictate who they want running.

that's it Brian M

Jake
05-21-2004, 03:36 PM
Oops - I meant the June Regional at LRP.

Yeah, those ugly and junky ITA cars aren't fit to run at LRP. Especially Anthony and Ray's Acuras. Talk about junkyard racers!

In all seriousness, I don't understand why the track wouldn't want some grassroots spirit on their weekend? Wouldn't the message that average shmoes like you and me can go racing be a good one? IT is the perfect fit for people who aspire to the SPEED world challenge after all!

moto62
05-22-2004, 03:05 AM
Originally posted by bg43wex:
Actually the the discussion will be, is NER interested in running a restricted regional for MIATAS ONLY, sm, ssm, or ITA miatas, at the July 4th weekend NO other cars allowed.

Guess I'll be staying home and bar-b-queing on the fourth

Originally posted by bg43wex:

this is at the request of the track.
the problem is appearence, the track feels that the miatas are the cleanest due to so many being newer, and on the tracks preimere weekend they can dictate who they want running. that's it Brian M

Never mind the racing. Y'all can come to a cookout at my place. At least I have hot water in the bathroom here. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

R RACER
05-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Why subject ourselves to abuse, pay $300 to run a total of 30min the whole weekend,we should try to start a pro it series in our region like Atlanta has, any takers? I would volunteer my time to start something like that and I'm sure there are others that feel the same way, any takers , potential sponsers out there, a good topic for discussion at the next race in June.

------------------
Anthony Serra ITA 99

Jake
05-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by R RACER:
Why subject ourselves to abuse, pay $300 to run a total of 30min the whole weekend

Amen to that. Pro IT? Anthony, I think you're ready for SPEED Touring Car! I'm suprised the RealTime team isn't after you yet.

Dano77
05-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Sound to me like they only want miata,s. That stinks,the raceing in ITA is way better because my Miata Races against those other "junkyard"cars. The special Miatas can race Im goin to ray,s house. Dibs on the spare bedroom....
dan
The ITA Miata

philstireservice
05-22-2004, 02:36 PM
I'm for Pro IT.........I'll help also. Let's do it R Racer !!!

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST1
www.philstireservice.com
Official Independent Amsoil Dealer for the East Coast Honda Challenge
distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
Hoosier Tire Dealer
Toyo Tire Dealer

lateapex911
05-22-2004, 05:17 PM
I like the pro idea, but not with my car.

How 'bout some pro style handicapping?? Hmm?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

lateapex911
05-22-2004, 05:26 PM
FYI, the miata race for LRP was discussed last night at the NER Comp Board meeting, and feelings were pretty mixed.

Negatives:
the region has to pay big $ to do it.
-the region has to sanction and put it on
-there is a potential that we would loose money
-there is a pro miata race nearby the same weekend
-basicaly a lot of rouble or not much payback

Positves:
-We have a lot of miata guys who like Lime Rock
-we put on a good event
-good branding for SCCA in front of a Sports Car crowd. gets our name out in front of possible furure racers. The PA will talk us up. We might even have an info booth up top for a direct connection.

Questions...hypothetically, IF the region goes ahead, HOW MUCH would a reasonable entry be? (There would be a possibility of a SMALL purse), and...HOW MANY would show up? (MAX 40)

It is late to get this kind of thing going. Any Miata racers out there are welcome to respond. I would ask this over on SM.com, but Jimmy Daniels banned me form the site for pointing out his censorship tactics. So now I'm censored.

My thoughts are that we could fill the event, or come very close. OMP was a different deal, and the pool of cars was actually smaller, or the same at best.

I like the marketing potential, and the SM guys do put on a good show.

(Danno, this event is open to ITA miatas...even up. YOU of all people should be chomping at the bit!)

Your thoughts?

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

(ON edit I posted this before reading Steves meeting updayte, sorry!)

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited May 22, 2004).]

p99ro
05-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Jake now LRP wants clean cars right?
So how about we have ITA all except the ugly cars. They know who they are. And if they don`t then we`ll tell them. Aka most Rx7`s.

p99ro
05-22-2004, 06:07 PM
Ok I take it back. Only the walmart orange painted ones.

Greg Amy
05-22-2004, 07:01 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...HOW MUCH would a reasonable entry be?</font>

I would be willing to pay up to $600 for the entry, assuming Toyo tires are mandated. Without Toyos - or a way to handicap non-Toyo cars - I'm out.

edit - Someome emailed me and told me I was high for being willing to pay so much. So, I thought I'd show you my rationale...GA

Simple economics.

Last LRP Regional was a one-day event, one 15-minute practice/qually and one 15-lap/20-minute race. $225 entry fee. If the full time was used (it wasn't), that equals $6.43 per minute of track time.

Spectators were invited, but not many showed.

If I paid $600 to enter the event July 4th weekend, I'd save the $320 in sunk costs for the weekend spectator passes I'm going to have to buy anyway (me, my wife, Matt, his girlfriend...the things you do to keep your volunteer crew chief happy). I'm obviously willing to pay at least an additional $225 to enter an event at LRP. Total = $545. Assuming I win ZERO during the event, I'm spending $600 for 60 minutes track time = $10 per minute; if you subtract the sunk costs I'm spending an additional $600-$320 = $280 to be able to RACE the event IN ADDITION to spectating = $4.67 per minute of track time. If I take home anything more than $280 from the event winnings, economically speaking I "make" money by racing instead of just spectating.

Plus there will be LOTS of people spectating...

[This message has been edited by grega (edited May 22, 2004).]

16v
05-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by grega:
I would be willing to pay up to $600 for the entry

but how many others will? That is the issue at hand

BillW
05-23-2004, 08:27 AM
If NER signs up for the race, I'll go. I would guess you could get 40 cars as long as they can get the word out before people make firm plans for the 4th!

Can NED do an EMail to all registered SM/SSM drivers (and Dan http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif) I bet we'll even get a few from the WDC area!

Bill

Dano77
05-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Its not that I dont want to go Its simple economics to quote some body,It is out of my budget to run that weekend. Spec tires? cool idea but im not buying 4 different tires that ill use once. Being a little knowledgable about the way tracks run & are rented.we would be low on the order of things,ie tv time. They have a schedule to keep,& 600 to possably be cut short is not that much better tha the last race. i know stuff happens beyond our control & thats ok.Im also selling the miata if anyone is interested.Its posted in the classified section.. I miss the sound of rotories at 8500 rpm. To quote some one else "Ill be back" Jake & you cant hide.

dpc
05-23-2004, 07:21 PM
I think $400 is to high, someone from NE should talk to Serge and DDG. dave

lateapex911
05-23-2004, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Dano77:
Its not that I dont want to go Its simple economics to quote some body,It is out of my budget to run that weekend. Spec tires? cool idea but im not buying 4 different tires that ill use once. ...... I miss the sound of rotories at 8500 rpm. To quote some one else "Ill be back" Jake & you cant hide.

First, Dano, I don't think you need a spec tire of any sort. My understanding is that the track wants all Mazda Miatas, the first 40 Miatas from either SSM, SM, or ITA are in and fighting for the trophy and whatever else gets added. You choose your tire. Unless I am confused or mis-informed, I think this is THE race for an ITA Miata to go fishing.

Second, I look forward to your re-emergence in a rotary powered car. Which class? Do you have the car yet? Just make sure its not an ITA?/EP?/GT3? version, eh? http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

------------------
Jake Gulick
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited May 23, 2004).]

moto62
05-23-2004, 10:03 PM
I would be willing to pay up to $600 for the entry,

There are a few Donald Trumps in IT that would pay this kind of entry fee but for the most part, No. At $600, you'll be lucky to get ten cars to field.

Your math in your post is severely flawed. Your wife, Matt and his chick should be signed in as your crew. $0.00. http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Ray

Greg Amy
05-23-2004, 10:49 PM
I wasn't clear, Corona-boy: I'm already going to spend $320 to sit on the side of the hill and watch, what's another $280 to get out there and actually PLAY...?

GA

moto62
05-24-2004, 03:25 AM
I wasn't clear, Corona-boy: I'm already going to spend $320 to sit on the side of the hill and watch, what's another $280 to get out there and actually PLAY...?

GA

Sunk cost $320 + another $280 = $600 entry fee. This means you're at the track with crew. What about the rest of the cost of racing? Beer,gas,tires, worker fund, feeding the crew etc. I think the "another $280" figure will have to be adjusted accordingly. WOW! I can acctually think on a beer free night http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif
Ray

dickita15
05-24-2004, 06:59 AM
but ray there are some savings. if you sit home and barbaque an the 4th you beer bill will be much higher.

7racing
05-24-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by dickita15:
but ray there are some savings. if you sit home and barbaque an the 4th you beer bill will be much higher.

Remember Ray, Dan-O said he was going down, and staying! That is a big beer tab (tap?).

[This message has been edited by 7racing (edited May 24, 2004).]

Greg Amy
05-24-2004, 11:38 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...Beer,gas,tires, worker fund, feeding the crew etc...</font>

Oh, s**t, I forgot about the beer part...OK, I'm down to $550 max <wink>

Actually, there is near-precedence for a $400 fee: the OMP Challenge. How many entries did we get at $350? I'm guessing there's at least that many Spec Miata folks interested in racing that weekend...

GA

dpc
05-24-2004, 02:46 PM
Just curious, what would LRP run in place of Miatas. Are we just a space filler and we look nice and they think that we would pay high entry fees. Maybe dave

ulfelder
05-24-2004, 05:51 PM
dpc writes:
Just curious, what would LRP run in place of Miatas.
----

Porsche Club was mentioned as a group that will probably be approached if we turn the promoter down.

therooster
05-24-2004, 06:40 PM
Just wondering why ITS Miata's aren't included?

dickita15
05-24-2004, 07:43 PM
how about e prod as well

Dano77
05-24-2004, 08:23 PM
What about a bridge ported,rotary,Miata. Can you say GT3. Ray & I can have one in the car in time I think but you gotta buy us food,beer,entry,gas,tow it downthere & pay the hospital bill when the thing blows up,cause well go broke putting it together. Hmmm sell the Acura to pay for it. Step up Ray..You & me partner.
Dan

moto62
05-25-2004, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by dickita15:

Ahhhhhh! But beer is part of my sunken costs.

Originally posted by dano77
What about a bridge ported,rotary,Miata. Can you say GT3. Ray & I can have one in the car in time I think but you gotta buy us food,beer,entry,gas,tow it downthere & pay the hospital bill when the thing blows up,cause well go broke putting it together. Hmmm sell the Acura to pay for it. Step up Ray..You & me partner. Dan

Hmmmm! Well let's see. I just finished putting together a super mega street ported engine about an hour ago. If they let us run an EP Miata, I could have that engine at your house and in your car by this weekend. I'm sure the owner won't mind us breaking it in for him, but I can gahhhrunnnteee, LRP won't let us in past the front gates http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/biggrin.gif
Ray
PS- maybe if we wax your car, we can get in by way of the "neat and clean appearance" requirement and our good looks http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif

Tom Blaney
05-25-2004, 06:33 AM
I have a simple solution. Make the class national, for the same money you would get twice as much track time, still no spectators, or high gate fees for your friends and the same officials who would bark a little less because your a "national driver"

The only downside is you would have to travel to more than LR to run the series.

If they did it I would come. (er a go)

therooster
05-25-2004, 08:18 PM
About the e-prod comment...

I was just wondering. I suspected it was the performance but that was not explained. The ITS/ITA/SM/SSM times are not that different.

Granted no built ITS Miata has shown up but.. if IT is allowed why just ITA cars? was this discussed.

Thanks

dickita15
05-26-2004, 07:17 AM
you are right the e prod comment was flip. going for humor. actually no one thought of ITS so it was not discussed. my guess is the race will not happen. too high a risk/reward ratio. also my guess is if it did happen it would be sm/ssm on toyo's but as I said I don't think it will happen.
dick patullo

therooster
05-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the response. I thought as much. Sarcasim or flip comments are hard to convey in written format. I work with a ITS Miata team and just thought that this would be a really fun event to talk them into...

BillW
06-07-2004, 09:58 PM
The race is on.. Details on SpecMiata.com:

http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.ph...opic/7/444.html (http://www.specmiata.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/7/444.html)