PDA

View Full Version : regional road racing board meeting

ulfelder
03-27-2004, 09:10 AM
We met last night, and I'm proud to say Jake Gulick and the Brothers Blethen showed up -- so this bulletin board was well represented. Here, in no particular order, are items of interest:

* For the April 18 Regional at NHIS, your first shot at Tech is Saturday April 17, 4-6PM. All Tech sessions at the track before then will be for school cars and instructors only. On race day, Tech opens at 7:30.

* On April 18, there will be child care available at NHIS; a highly qualified provider has volunteered, bless her. It's an experimental program with a "soft" launch to gauge interest. I think you'll hear more about the program in an upcoming mailing. Oh, and it's free. I asked if I could drop my kids off in April and pick 'em up in October, but no dice.

* One note on the NHIS school: there is much skepticism about the double-school concept in certain circles, and as a result there *will* be observers there making sure students get 3 hours of track time per day, as required. So if you're taking the school, crewing, instructing, etc., expect a couple of very full days.

* We are probably going to experiment with "split" starts (using 2 pace cars and dividing cars by class) at the April NHIS race, *but only in the small-bore group that has requested it.* I mention this because if split starts work, they might be worth considering for our traditional ITS/ITB and ITA/ITC run groups. Keep in mind, though, that this is all very up-in-the-air and does not affect us right now.

* There's been some sort of palace coup in New Jersey Region SCCA. Executives tarred and feathered, new execs replacing them, etc. Upshot: NNJR will no longer officially staff Lime Rock Pro races, specifically Memorial Day Weekend and the July 4 Weekend Busch North race. The responsibility thus falls to NER, in conjunction with NYR and Mohud. (Keep in mind that many NNJR workers will be there; it's just that the region won't "own" the event.) This is of course a huge additional workload for our volunteers. I'm sure any driver who wants to work either event will be welcomed with open arms.

* Some of you asked if we could switch the Enduro (Saturday) and the Regional (Sunday) scheduled for Aug. 28-29 at NHIS. You were concerned that the enduro beats up on your cars and could even force you to miss Sunday's points-paying event. The board was sympathetic, and I'm glad the issue was raised because it seemed as if nobody had considered this before (which is why it's a good idea for drivers to attend these meetings). However, the schedule has already been published in some places, and many Enduro competitors travel a long way for the race (so giving them Sunday to get home is a nice touch). There will be no change this year. Next year, we'll consider running the Regional on Saturday.

* Finally, one intriguing note about the July 4 Busch North weekend: One of the planned supporting races has pulled out -- the series went belly-up, actually. So they're looking to add a supporting race. Among the options being considered: Pro Spec Miata and Spec Miata. All very preliminary, stay tuned, etc.

/Steve U
05 ITS

Steve Ostrovitz
03-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Great report Steve. Thanks for your time representing us and for passing along the happenings in such an informative way.

------------------
Steve Ostrovitz
07 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

67ITB
03-27-2004, 12:29 PM
Steve U,
Thanks for the update.
And also for volunteering your time to go to the meetings.

Matt Bal

------------------

16v
03-27-2004, 01:22 PM
quick note Steve:

Busch North is running Memorial Day in conjunction with Speed WC.

The July 4 weekend event is the ALMS series (the big boys!)

glad to see NER will be taking control

------------------
Doug :)
the16v.com (http://the16v.com)
briansgarage.com (http://www.briansgarage.com)

ulfelder
03-27-2004, 01:33 PM
Doug: Thanks, I stand corrected.

Matt: Duck! : )

RSTPerformance
03-27-2004, 03:30 PM
July 4th is the back up date (rain date) for the Bush cars...

If it rains that would be one exciting race weekend!!!

I think Steve summed up everything, good job...

Raymond

PS: Drivers should really go to those meetings, you really get a good look at how hard these volunteers work... Cudo's to all of them.

JLawton
03-28-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks Steve.

BRING BACK THE IMPORT CHALLENGE!!!

------------------
Jeff L
#74 ITB GTi

lateapex911
03-29-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by JLawton:
Thanks Steve.

BRING BACK THE IMPORT CHALLENGE!!!

The days...those were the days!

I imagine the "Wreck me otters" have a better shot.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

lateapex911
03-29-2004, 01:05 AM
One other thought...to expand on the worker issue at the pro events at LRP.

Seems that the new day to day management team at LRP is one of our own, the daughter of a well known SCCA driver, so this is a great chance to create a good cooperative relationship with the track. Working these events is fun, and for a driver, it means no loss of driving time, unless you're a pro! We should all give it some consideration.

Shoot Brian Mushnick (Sorry Brian if I butchered your spelling!) an email if interested.

Speaking of participation of this BBS's members, the Brothers Blethen have agreed to help out with some tech work, Dick Patullo is the official Assistant Grand Poobah (or something similar!), and I got Bruce Rodman (last years Grand Poobah) to assist me, so I will again be the Race Chair for the June National at Lime Rock. Lets hope it doesn't rain so hard this year!

And the Child Care idea is a great one, lets hope the usual issues can be worked out. What a gift to the region.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Amy
03-30-2004, 10:36 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...to expand on the worker issue at the pro events at LRP...Shoot Brian Mushnick...</font>

Uh, whaaa....?

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...an email if interested...</font>

Whew!!