PDA

View Full Version : Racing radio`s used ?

p99ro
01-31-2004, 12:22 PM
Does anybody have a line on refurbished radio`s ? Or a good set. 5 watts would be best.
It`s so I can talk to myself in the car and finaly understand what I`m saying.
Scott 09 NER CRX si

[email protected]

RKramden
02-02-2004, 01:41 AM
5 watts may be more than allowed.

Also, what frequency are you planning on using?

If you use one of the MURS (http://www.provide.net/~prsg/mursrule.htm) channels, you will be limited to 2 watts.

What you don't need with MURS is a license. If you want to go the route of higher power, then the licensing requirements get much more difficult, and you have to be on an assigned frequency.

zracer22
02-02-2004, 11:51 AM
I bought my 5 watt system from Sampson ommunications. You can get a NEW complete 5 watt sysem for less than $900. I have had mine for 3+ years without a single problem.

Sampson takes care of all the license and frequency stuff.

[This message has been edited by zracer22 (edited February 02, 2004).]

planet6racing
02-02-2004, 03:56 PM
I bought the No Radio's kit from Sampson and (2) 5 Watt Motorola GP300 radios from E-bay. The total came to just over $600. The radios I bought are 16 channel UHF and are now programmed to the GMRS frequencies (up to 5 watt mobile) and work great.

Do not use the system with the GMRS/FRS radios from Best Buy. They work, but any static on the radio will make your head feel like it will explode.

If you'd like more details, e-mail me directly.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing
bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

p99ro
02-02-2004, 10:33 PM
Cool thanks for the response.
So 5 watt is more involved.
But with the 5 wat I will get a greater range of course. And more monies.

I`m still wondering wear to get them used.
Besides I don`t like the FCC I have a little pirate in me AAAARGGG.

Scott Blow me down Haven.CRX 09 ITA NER

planet6racing
02-03-2004, 10:25 AM
E-Bay was a great source, but be sure to do your homework before you buy. It took me 2-3 months before I pulled the trigger on my radios and I'm glad I researched it as much as I did. It's tough to find the information on Google, but it is there.

I also wanted to stick to a major namebrand, and since Motorola sponsors racecars...

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

RacerBill
02-03-2004, 05:49 PM
Bill at Planet6racing

Which brand of GMRS radios did you purchase at Best Buy? I am looking at the 5watt, 5 mile models.

Thanks.

planet6racing
02-03-2004, 06:32 PM
I had the Motorola 5820 radios. 5 mile, 2 watt (I believe).

These worked OK and Sampson Racing had cords to fit them, but the impedance was all screwy, I think. The noise cancelling microphones were very quiet, so one had to turn up the volume, but any type of un-squelched noise that came through was at least 100 times louder than that from the microphones and it felt like my head was going to explode. Going with the professional models significantly helped (Motorola GP300).

On edit: I still have the 5820's. They're very good radios but won't have the headsets with them. If you get the car radios tuned to the same frequencies (except those dedicated to the 0.5W FRS frequencies), your "fans" can join in on the craziness. They just won't be able to hear as well as your crew chief.

------------------
Bill
Planet 6 Racing

[This message has been edited by planet6racing (edited February 03, 2004).]