PDA

View Full Version : new speedworkz project

mazdagt3
01-27-2004, 08:31 PM
hahahaha....................

oh allright i'll give you some hints.

its black, a nissan product, will be shod with goodyears and rather unique. oh and who could forget about the car number. lucky 13 of course.

God help those who complain about the bmw's after you see this thing!

can't wait to come back from nationals and the ill handling rsx's.

first appearing at lime rock or pocono....depends on whether its heads or tails.

marc cefalo

ITSRX7
01-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Will you tell us if we guess?

Can we assume ITS is the class because of the BMW reference?

Working on a 3.0L V6?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region #188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com

jcmotorsports
01-28-2004, 11:45 AM
i even heard rumors of a new hotshoe joining the speedworkz team. i have seen the project and it a heavy piece of machinery. of course it is top secret!!! all i can say is LOOKOUT!!!!!!!
john costello

Blix
01-28-2004, 04:21 PM
Hey mark,
are you giving up on the SSC cars? will you and your dad be in the SMs at all this year?

Eric
NER SM #12

mazdagt3
01-28-2004, 11:12 PM
will it be in ITS?

yes of course.

3.0 liter v6 hmmm......no

john it sure is a heavy piece. min weight that is.

ssc cars? no the rsx's we run are the type s which is in ssb. won the division last year, won two nationals many seconds and set a track record.

also had the speedvision camera for the runoffs.

i still plan on running some nationals, hell maybe a regional it its with the ITS guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spec miata? a little here and there. mostly enduros with the creamsicle one.

my blue car is for sale. $16000 turn key, 4 races, two wins, no excuses.

theracinglawyer
01-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Erik for the record The SPEEDWORKZ team will try to race in a few SM races. Marc and I like the Miatas, but there are only so many weekends and the conflicts in dates are many, we also hope to run the RSX's in national events,unless they become so out classed by the Z4's. Enought said.

The Nissan peoject Marc has is a top secret, at least he never told me about it, so all I can do is wounder with the rest of you.

Hope all is well with you and your family. Till we see each other "Stay Well"

------------------
Mike cefalo "the commander"

theracinglawyer
01-28-2004, 11:27 PM
For all you who may think its nuts to have posts 2 minutes apart by a father and son.

You can tell Marc and I are in different weather coditions, Marc is home in the snow and my wife and I are in Florida in the sun, no wounder I don't know what's going on at the shop. And by the way I am only classed as a visitor at the shop so I don't get in the way or ask stupid questions.

I was only responding to Erics questions when I responded, but Marc has told it all, I'll leave the rest to him.

Love "the commander" Mike Cefalo

dominojd
01-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by mazdagt3:
will it be in ITS?

yes of course.

3.0 liter v6 hmmm......no

john it sure is a heavy piece. min weight that is.

HMMM non v6 ITS Nissan. Could it possibly be a 2.4l 4cyl? If it is a 2.0l your as crazy as me and Greg Amy. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Crazy Joe
#7 ITS pilot

benspeed
01-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Hmmmmm....

I'm thinking the project might be the '91-94 240SX 4 cyl. - around 2650 lbs. Dual overhead cams and a 2.4 displacement. Could be a mean machine!

Marc - are you selling your blue RX7 or the RSX?

Cheers!

benspeed

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
NNJR

mazdagt3
01-29-2004, 03:26 PM
selling the blue rx7? hmmm....maybe.

ben, it would have been, no pun intended, nice to have someone like yourself buy the blue car. heard you have kip's car and i wish you luck. we'll have to bumpdraft this year so the BMW crowd has something to complain about.

selling the rsx? yea sure. just to give you guys a heads up, its nothing like an IT car.....nothing.

everything the rx7 does well, the rsx does poor. everything the rsx does well, the rx7 does poor.

ya know...if there is a regional that ITS is with showroom stock, i think i'll just have to bring the RSX. the car is simply hilarious through corners!

if anyone is interested in the RSX, miata, rx7 or the mystery car (amazing how no one has guessed the right car), let me know.

[email protected]

sure miss the warm weather and the sound of a bridgeported 12a and a weber 48ida on a spring morning.

ahhhhhhh can still here it.

it'll be good to come back to regionals.

hope all have their game face on.

marc cefalo

Greg Amy
01-29-2004, 03:53 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...(amazing how no one has guessed the right car)...</font>

Well, let's see.

- It's a Nissan
- It's "rather unique"
- It's in ITS
- It's not a 3.0 liter V6, eliminating the 300ZX and 200SX V6.
- It's heavy.
- It's not a 240SX because "no one has guessed the right car" and that one's been mentioned
- You would be an idiot to build an NX2000, SE-R, or 200SX (or any other SR20DE-powered car) for ITS.

That leaves only the various Datsun/Nissan Z-cars, unless I've missed some FastTrack classifications somewhere. I'll go with the 280Z (non 2+2), a hard-to-find car and a nice combination of weight and power, or possibly the 260Z which had the higher compression engine but twin Hitachis and a 4-speed. Of course the 240Z has even higher compression and a 4-speed, but it's not what I would consider "heavy".

Spot me half a lap next race for guessing correctly?

Greg

[This message has been edited by grega (edited January 29, 2004).]

ITSRX7
01-29-2004, 04:00 PM
OK, so lets get this closed!

Nissan, in ITS - and heavy.

300ZX is out, no 3.0L V6.
240SX is out - good guess Ben!

200SX SE-R? Way too heavy at 2625 for that 2.0 powerplant. Could a sane man build one? They ARE available with a cage...BUT you insinuate that it will make big power with the BMW comment...

200SX V6? WAY heavy at 2885 AND that same 3.0l V6 we talked about so that can't be it.

So that leaves us with the Z cars:

280ZX at 2770?
280Z at 2730?

Spill! It's always cool to hear about non-traditional builds. Are you building it or are you subbing it out like the RX-7's?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports

benspeed
01-29-2004, 04:22 PM
Marc - we'll use the "silver horn" and bump each other along past them bimmers! Especially at the Glen & Pocono. Your blue RX7 would have been another excellent buy-sweet car and well prepared.

Gotta spill - I thought I guessed right with the 240SX.

Cheers,

Ben

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
NNJR

mazdagt3
01-29-2004, 05:30 PM
grab a gcr and read carefully. read each INDIVIDUAL line.

i'm trying not to be picky but when you look up stuff in the GCR you gotta be spot on.

some are gonna cry foul but you guys did not guess the right model in SCCA's eyes.

and the answer is............................

ya know, on a side note (the suspense must be driving some crazy) i should have done this in stages starting at the new year.

ben, you were very close with the 91-94 s13 chassis.

it is a 1995 240SX SE.

the car has a different spec line because its an entirely new model.

again, not trying to be a pain but generalizing ALL 240sx's doesn't cut it.

there are differences. i can choose between 15 and 16 inch rims. the true output of the motor is different from the s13 chassis (91-94). the brakes are MUCH larger on the SE. the hubs are stronger and have 5 lug setup as opposed to the 4 lug setup. etc.etc.

are we building it? of course.

will it be an allout effort? no.

why? because the car is primarily going to be used for enduros (ahhhh 12 hours at the point) and DRIFT events.

it also has a budget of.......hmmmmm i think i'll make that the next thread.

any guesses on how much to build? i'll bring reciepts this year.

if you haven't heard of drifting then you must be dead.

quick link http://nikita.hro.nl/downloads/movies/draft.wmv

hope ya got cable or dsl modem. it is a very large file and takes time to buffer and load. please be patient because its over 5 minutes of pure insanity. ahhh most excellent insanity!

well i must be going because tomorrow morning i'm leaving for daytona.

[This message has been edited by mazdagt3 (edited January 29, 2004).]

ITSRX7
01-29-2004, 05:37 PM
VERY cool car. The best looking of the 240SX's IMHO. Part of the reason I like the coupe version of the ITA car better than the fastback...

I have a buddy in WA who is developing this car. Rebello is involved with power estimates. Won't be near as fast as a E36 325 but might be as fast as an RX-7 in a straight line - about the same power to weight. 200hp and 2650.

I bet it will look AWESOME.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports

benspeed
01-29-2004, 06:55 PM
Dang! Almost guessed right. I looked at a '01 GCR. It'll be a killer drift car - Grassroots or similar publication I recently read had a great article on a variety of 200-240 models folks have been setting up as drift monsters.

If you are selling the RX7, shoot me your email - I have several buyers who are still looking that didn't get my red car. [email protected]

Cheers,

Ben

------------------
BenSpeed
#33 ITS RX7
BigSpeed Racing
NNJR

mazdagt3
01-29-2004, 07:31 PM
AB, wow 200hp?!?!?!?!?

we'll be lucky if we make 150!!!!!!!!

160000 miles and all.

change oil, plugs, filters. add header and exhaust. take to track and floor it. repeat.

Banzai240
01-29-2004, 09:15 PM
NOW you are talking my language!!

I think these cars are classified too heavy to be competitive in ITS, Mostly because I have my doubts that anyone could actually get one within 50lbs of the minimum weight... The '95-'98 models were much heavier from the factory, something like 2800-2900lbs. vs. 2650-something for the '91-'94...

With a bare minimum amount of tubing in the cage (though the heavier .120" x 1.75" ) and having taken just about everything that can legally be removed (well, aside from taking the creative route of moving dashes and heater controls for "cage installation" purposes), the car still tips the scales at around 2750lbs with about 1/4 tank and me in the car (220lbs.) I know of one other 240SX ('96) that was able to get to about 2680 or 2690, but he only weighs 160lbs... (feel free to pipe in Dave if you see this! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif )

Still, it is a sexy car and I'm going to keep trying to make it go... If I could learn to drive, I think I could at least keep it in the pack...

Another thing... the '91-'94, due to update/backdate rules, has the option of running the '91 camshafts, which had a slightly longer duration... I haven't found a way to justify this being legal for the '95-'98 (yet!), so this is another plus the earlier chassis has...

Good LUCK! Here's picture of mine, actually taking a class win! Of course, the only other car in the class dropped out after losing a fan belt... 1/2 lap ahead of me... and it was my cars TWIN! (literally! I bought mine from him!!)

Have FUN!

http://www.digitalracephotos.com/photos/SCCA_8_17_03/g/images/ORSCCA_8_17_03_848.jpg

Here are the two cars together in 2002 at PIR:

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/PIRJuly5_2_Lowres.jpg

------------------
Darin E. Jordan
SCCA #273080, OR/NW Regions
Renton, WA
ITS '97 240SX
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/Web/DJ_AV1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited January 29, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Banzai240 (edited January 29, 2004).]