PDA

View Full Version : Rate the NER Race Tracks.

12-30-2003, 11:28 PM
Ok I am looking at the 2004 schedual and do to work can't make as many races as I would like. So... what are the tracks worth going to and which aren't so good.

Maybe rate them 1-8 with 1 being the best track to make it to and 8 being the least favorable? Out of NHIS LRP Nelson Summit Glenn Pocono etc.

BVNitta
12-31-2003, 12:37 AM
My ratings:
Lime Rock: 1
Mid-Ohio: 1(great 'technical' track but too far for me (CT))
Watkins Glen: 2 (somewhat long for an IT car)
Summit Point: 2 ('technical' track (turns 4-8 are awesome) but too far for me)
NHIS: 4 (somewhat contrived I think - you can't seem to carry momentum and string corners together)
Pocono: 5 (comes of being a roval: decent infield but the straights are long and boring)
Nelson Ledges: 7 (when last I raced there about 8 years ago, it had poor pavement and terrible facilities - not sure what if any has been done since)

Bhima

joeg
12-31-2003, 08:58 AM
You forgot Beaverun.

Actually, if you haven't been to Nelson in a few years, it is a much better "facility" now than in the past. The track was always challenging and extremely fast. Right now, it would rate a 2 or 3.

The Glen has to be rated tops because of its condition and history. I am not necessarily enamoured with it, but it is kept -up beautifully. Rate it 1.

Lime Rock is a nice park and a challenging track but tight schedules mandated by Sunday Blue Laws sort of detract from it.

Summit Point is a neat track, not quite as thrilling as a Nelson and a bit "crowded". I think it is a tiny bit better than Lime Rock, but the tarmac is a little worn in comparison and it has less "history".

Mid-Ohio is a great track--if you could always have dry weather. The concrete patches are diabolical in the wet in comparison to the Glen's concrete. Since you get a lot of weather down there (and if you have to tow a long way) there are better options. Dry it is a 2; wet an 8.

Beaverrun is a very cute track for smaller groups of cars. Lots of topography. About a 4.

Pocono--I haven't had the "pleasure" but it would have to be the least popular and below NHIS.

Finally, we were supposed to have a race at Adirondack International Speedway on the 4th this past year. The track just wasn't up to standards, however.

gran racing
12-31-2003, 09:38 AM
And don't forget that Summit Point will now have two tracks at its location. Looking forward to the new track openining in spring of'04.

For me, driving distance plays a big part in the factoring. Lime Rock is only an hour away, so it makes everything much easier. I also grew up watching races there so it has more meaning to me.

I enjoy both Watkins Glen and Summit. The Glen is a bit of a long track for my car, but still definately enjoyable. If running in a small field, it certainly spreads the racing out a little too much.

I'm not a huge fan of NHIS - no plans to go there this year. Pocono - I think is pretty boring. Some of the infield reminds me of an autocross and has little room for passing.

lateapex911
12-31-2003, 08:39 PM
Lime Rock:
Pros-
1- Very technically challenging with high risk reward ratio. A drivers track.
2-Great history. Race in the same pavement as the greats
3-Spectacular scenerey and area.
4- Good length and pacing for smaller underpowered cars such as ours.
5-A distinct rain line and unique wet challenge.
6- Good elevation changes.
7-Good food, has showers.
8-General condition is good.

Cons:
1- If you wreck, 50/50 you've hit something.
2- Paddocking sucks in a rain or when the weekend is full.
3-Snooty attitude of the management
4-Showers suck, and the hot water lasts a nanosecond.
5-Tough to get to
6-Lack of reasonable accomodations nearby.

Rating: (from me) 2

WGI-
Pros:
1-Great track and layout
2-Phenominal history
3-Nice local scenery
4-Good elevation changes
5 Available garages

Cons:
1- Tough to get to, lots of hills.
2- Final group often gets screwed due to silly 'curfews'
3-Food? Showers?
4- Plenty of reasonable accomodations, but the term 'flea bag' wouldn't be inaccurate.
5-Kind of long for our cars.
Rating: 3

Pocono-
Pros:
1- Someplace to race
2-Cool banking.
3 Cheap decent hotels available

Cons:
1-They change the course constantly and it gets more Mickey Mouse every time.
2-Food- awful
3-The garages flood in the rain as they are lower than the repaved paddock. Whats the point of getting a garage to stay dry?
4-Its REALLY ugly.
% I could go on, but why bore you!

Rating: 6

NHIS
Pros:
1-Decent layout, and the banking is an interesting signature corner.
2-Always turning
3 Good elevation changes
4-Garages
5-Decent food
6 Power in the paddock
7 Good facilities and showers

Cons;
1-A little hokey in the infield
2-Turn 3 will cost you if your brakes don't.
3-It's ugly.

Rating: 4

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

01-01-2004, 11:58 AM
Great info guys keep it coming.

How come we don't have any races at Mosport or Tremblanc(sp)?

JackH55
01-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Why we do not race at Mosport.

Well WNYR had been putting on a National with an Enduro there until 03 when they had to cancel because of low entries.

We ran the enduro in 01 and had a great time but their formula for entry fees made the cost of each extra driver outrageous.

It was not a bad deal, if only one driver was running but cars were not showing up.

Jack

01-01-2004, 01:18 PM
That sucks because it looks like a nice track.

Travel time is important.

Time to each track from Boston MA from map quest(don't know how acurate it is.)

NHIS 1.7 hrs
LRP 3
Pocono 5.5
The Glen 7
Summit 7.5
Mosport 9
Nelson 10
Beaverun 10
VIR 10.5
Mid ohio 11

I am going to LRP and NHIS obviously because of my location.

Then in order of importance

Watkins
Summit
VIR
Mid Ohio
Nelson
Beaverun
Pocono

Would you put your list like this if you lived in the Boston area?

Also how is VIR? I heard it is awesome and at 10.5 hrs the same as Beaverun, nelson, and mid ohio, I think I may take a 4 day weekend and check it out once this year.

16v
01-01-2004, 09:15 PM
remember, if you're towing those times will go up quite a bit.

------------------
Doug :)
the16v.com (http://the16v.com)
briansgarage.com (http://www.briansgarage.com)

racer14itc
01-01-2004, 10:45 PM
I grew up in paddocks of the NEDIV, tracks such as Bryar, Bridgehampton, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Summit Point. Interestingly, Lime Rock was never one of my favorites to go to, but then again I never drove it so I don't have that part of the experience. I haven't been there since the early 80's, but I do remember the mud, the dust, the sorry accomodations (thus I slept in the back of my Dad's Jeep Cherokee a lot back then). Ditto for Summit Point, although it's gotten better since the 80's. The Glen was one of my favorite destinations, cool track, great history, and it always seemed to bring out the best drivers. I left New England before NHIS was built, so I've never been there. Spent many foggy weekends at Pocono and have no desire to ever race there myself.

I've raced at Rockingham, NC (before it was closed to SCCA racing), Lowe's, Daytona, Roebling Road, Road Atlanta, Summit Point, Mid-Ohio, and my home track is VIR.

Of all the tracks I've been to so far, VIR is definitely #1 with Mid-Ohio a close 2nd. VIR's amenities are very, very nice, good food, an excellent paddock, no mud to deal with, great showers and restrooms, and a track that challenges you continously without risking your neck if you make a mistake. Even though it looks long at 3.27 miles, it's not a "boring" track by any stretch and even in an ITC car things are busy.

If you get the chance to race at VIR, do it! You won't be disappointed. We in the NC region pride ourselves on being racer friendly, and the track management does also.

MC

joeg
01-02-2004, 12:52 PM
Those travel times to VIR and Mid-Ohio from Boston appear a bit optimistic.
Mid-ohio is several hours beyond Nelson/ Beaver.

Greg Amy
01-02-2004, 12:56 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...if you're towing those times will go up quite a bit.</font>

Maybe for you and me, but not for Anthony, Jake, and Dick!

GregA, who was peddling hard the V8 diesel van all the way to Atlanta and back to keep up with these guys!!!

01-02-2004, 03:56 PM
Yeah those times were from map quest which I am sure isn't to accurate.

RSTPerformance
01-02-2004, 04:06 PM
My Ratings, best to worst, and reasons... which may or may not be the same as the others at RST!!!
Lime Rock is the best. It has a wonderful "park" type atmosphere, can you imagine a race track that seats thousands but has no grandstands??? I find that amazing, and I am wondering how many other race tracks in the world have this feature. I think that the setting really makes the place. I also like the track configuration although I do think it is a bit short, and I am not a fan of the only major braking zone (passing zone) being turn 1 "big bend." That does not mean however that it is not feasible to pass on any of the other turns on the track. Oh the other best part of the track is its distinct "rain line." Best weekend to go to Lime Rock is the NARRC runoffs. Full fields, best competition and oh, did I mention foliage? Good luck getting a hotel. If you do make the trip to lime rock make sure you hit up a 2 day weekend vs. a one day event as you will need to two days to learn the track and have fun, not to mention the place is so relaxing, you will want to spend at least 2 days their. Bring a lawn chair and/or blanket to sit in on the hill http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif.
Pocono comes in 2nd in my book (clockwise direction running in any of the configurations. Pocono is probably the best track to race if you "have b@!!$" The long straights can be boring and/or frustrating especially if you do not have the top end to compete with the other competitors, you might watch them drive away http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif The fun part is the very high speed turns into both the infield configurations. The NASCAR turn 1 banking is amazing in both directions, and you will not find a turn like that anyplace else in road racing in the northeast. "Devils Elbow" is a turn to watch out for if running in the counter clockwise direction. A fun but dangerous turn. Pocono ranks number 2 for me but then again I am a little bias as my car has 5 cylinders vs. the competitions 4 cylinders. hummm ya those straights are fun for me (unless by brother is taking off from me http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif ) Pocono's downfall is that the track management/staff is absolutely horrible, and the SCCA Volunteers (although nice) are not well organized. Don't plan on getting a trophy, I have been waiting 2 years now for trophies and still have not seen them also what is the track record??? ya didn't think you knew. Other downfall is for spectating, it is the worst place to spectate, their is no chance of getting up close to anyplace where their is good racing, most of the passes happen on the straights and that is just not much fun to watch. Bring your binoculars. Their is also little to no amenities, (everything is locked up for the NASCAR boys). Best weekend to go to Pocono is the NARRC Double regional in the spring. Most likely you will get the opportunity to run on two totally different track configurations, so if you don’t like one you may or may not have a little more fun on Sunday http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

The Glenn comes in a close third in my book. The history and once again the scenery is a large plus (great view of the finger lakes). I have run the short course and the long course, both offer multiple passing zones under braking as well as down long straights. The back straight like Pocono can be a tad boring in an IT car, but not for me as again I have that extra cylinder. The track is a fun track to drive although it doesn't have much in the "hold on to your pants" type turns in comparison to Lime Rock and/or the turns offered by Pocono. Amenities at the Glenn also are not that great as most everything is locked up for the NASCAR boys. Biggest downfall to the Glenn is the lack of "local Yellows." If their is an accident more times than not it results in a full course yellow. The track (especially long course) is long and your entire race could end up a yellow flag race. Best bet be in front after the first turn http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif (That was a joke). Best weekend to go to the Glenn in my opinion is for the “Last Chance” event held in October (?). It is the last event of the year, run the enduro on Saturday afternoon. This is probably one of the best run and most participated enduro’s of the year. Good opportunity for some great track time. Try not to wreak the car in the enduro and run the regional sprint race on Sunday. The last two years they have run a different configuration both days (short track & Long track). Also from what I hear the double regional (last weekend in September?) is also a great event. (Large entries)
Number four on my list would have to be NHIS. NHIS is not a good track to "drive" as nothing links together and in my opinion their is no turns that you need to pray in. The track also has a history of being rather dangerous as their isn't much room for error or you end up in a concrete wall. The track probably gets a bad rap for this but in my opinion it has gone above and beyond the call of duty in making safety improvements. The track probably benefits from good driving and a good handling car more so than the other tracks in the Northeast as it is a lot more technical, low speed track. You will also benefit greatly (probably 2 seconds a lap) by having some sort of LSD. The track is short and tight expect some bumping in turn 3 on the first turn and you can always count on having someone to race with as the cars seem to get a lot less strung out than at the larger tracks. This track is not such a great representation of a true Road Racing track as wherever you look their is a monstrous grandstand staring at you. Most likely empty giving you the feeling like your race really might not be that important. Not a great place to impress your friends or sponsors with your hobby. Best weekend is the “Cheep Date.” two days and two races for the price of one, as it is a double event but entree fee is generally less than a normal 1 day event. Last year they ran 2 different configurations (with and without the south chicane) on each day. The track was unexpectingly a lot different with the addition of the chicane. Not to mention the Canadians come down and show us all up…
Summit Point and Mid Ohio would probably rank very good, however I have not had the pleasure of racing at either track. I have been to both as crew/spectator and would make an educated guess that Mid Ohio was a better facility. Mid Ohio is quite the tow and I am not sure I will make it out their. I really really want to race at Summit Point this year. I wanted to do it last year, but just couldn't afford it. It is a true road racing circuit and would probably quickly jump ahead of NHIS, as long as I could get all that clay off my clothes at the end of the weekend!!!
Nelson Ledges, never been, and haven’t herd very many good things about the place, their for I would probably love the place!!!
Beaverun, Haven’t been their but would love to go. I have herd many great things about the track.
Mosport, is another place I haven’t herd many great things about, but would love to go for the “adventure.”
VIR, I would love to go, as I have herd that this place is “top notch” although I would be afraid of being disappointed with all the hype.
Tremblant should be an addition to the NER circuit as that is an amazing track. I would rank that Number 1 out of any track I have ever been to weather to spectate or race. Although my brother and I totaled my fathers MR2 their we still had a great time, although it was a long ride home!!! But in all actuality that truly is a awesome track. If you ever have the opportunity to go, make the trip, you wont be disappointed. Any chance it will be added to the NER calendar anytime soon???

Also one more track review… 2nd to Tremblant I would rank Road Atlanta. if you have an IT car and you are looking for a great race go to the ARRC. Besides the politics and somewhat inconsistent stewards actions it is a great event. Maybe next year we will see some better stewards, but none the less it is well worth the journey to compete against some of the best IT cars in the country. Oh and you don’t have to spend thousands of dollars, we spent a total of about $1,000 dollars including towing from NH, entries for both the sprint race and enduro, food, and lodging. (3 people) We finished 3rd in the sprint race and 4th in the enduro on used tires. Forget the Hype of the “championship” race and go to have fun!!! We did http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif
Raymond Blethen

------------------
http://rstperformance.bizland.com/rstsignature.jpg
RST Performance Racing
www.rstperformance.com (http://www.rstperformance.com)
1st and 2nd 2003 ITB NARRC Championship
1st and 6th 2003 ITB NERRC Championship
3rd 2003 ITB ARRC Sprint Race
4th 2003 ITB ARRC Endoro
1st 2003 AS NERRC and NARRC Championships

22timber
01-03-2004, 01:28 PM
I live in PA and I've been running mostly MARRS the last few years so I can give my opinion on the tracks I've run:

VIR - Best facilities I've ever seen at a track. You won't be dissapointed. The track configuration is great, very complex and hard to master. The esses are awesome and the roller coaster/hogpen complex is very technically challenging. Also lots of runoff room as you try to find your limits http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif It's a 9 hr tow even for me, so that's a downside.

Summit Point - Great track to drive. Combination of technical sections and long straight. Turn 4 (the chute) perhaps the most "pucker factor" of any turn I know if you drive it at the true limit. Without a doubt the most organized events - tech, registration, grid etc are very well organized. They have lots of workers who are very knowledgeable. New bathrooms with showers a couple years ago, pretty good food, and the paddock is good but usually very crowded.

The Glen - My favorite track layout to drive, perhaps because of the history, but I think because there are so many possible passing zones. The track is wide. No showers and food is mediocre. The comment about too many full cource yellows is true. The event are not as well organized as those at Summit, but none are in my opinion.

Pocono - Best part is it's closest to me. Other than that, the track layout is not great. Infield is too tight to pass and oval is generally boring, although I agree that the NASCAR turn 1 banking is quite an experience. Other downsides: Food is not the best, and the weather is ALWAYS bad - rain, fog, sleet, etc. There are not as many workers and the events aren't as well organized as other places.

------------------

Team Rocket
01-04-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by 0100:
Time to each track from Boston MA from map quest(don't know how acurate it is.)

NHIS 1.7 hrs
LRP 3
Pocono 5.5
The Glen 7
Summit 7.5
Mosport 9
Nelson 10
Beaverun 10
VIR 10.5
Mid ohio 11

Would you put your list like this if you lived in the Boston area?

I live in Swampscott, a small town about 8 miles North of Boston. Here are my tow times with an 8 cylinder Durango and 15', 3800lb open trailer:

NHIS 2 hrs
LRP 3 hrs
Pocono 6 hrs
The Glen 6.5 hrs
Summit 9 to 10 hours, depending on 81 traffic
Beaverun 10 to 12 hrs. Depending on construction.

Lime Rock is great for small bore cars. Watkins Glen, while beautiful, is not so fun as the fields tend to spread out.

Jim

RSTPerformance
01-09-2004, 01:13 AM
This is my order for all the tracks I have run at from a driving point of view.

#1 Watkins glen long course.
Long, tons of braking zones, tons of combination turns, tons of elivation.
#2 Tremblant
Same reasons as the glen as why it's awsome
#3 Road Atlanta
Still the smae attributes but with less braking zones
#4 Pocono Clockwise with both chicanes
Very "Balzy" track! Exiting each straight into the infeilds at 85+MPH is definetly a trick with totally blind corners/apexes
#5 Lime Rock
Technical track to keep up the momentum, and diffucult to learn the fast way around each lap. Definetly an awsome rain track!
#6 Pocono Clockwise with the Nascar 1 oval
Still that "balzy" turn off the nascar course into the infeild.
#7 NHIS
It's a track that we get to run at and even though it's more like a big autocross with no rythm it still can be fun.
#8 Pocono Counter Clockwise
No challenging turns jsut the "Devils Elbow" that destroys cars. Other than that it's just fast and mostly boring.
#9 Watkins Glen Short course
Yawn! In an IT car you have a light to medium brake at the end of the long straight into the bus stop... again for me going form 115 to 95 through the bus stop. then every other turn is jsut light brakes except turn 1 which is the only real braking zone but a very boring corner that leads to a long boring straight. Jsut a terrible IT track in my opinion.

As you can see I like combo turns, elevation changes, blind challenging corners, and braking zones to keep the adrenaline flowing!

Stephen

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited January 09, 2004).]