PDA

View Full Version : "Local" Tech Inspectors

JoshScott
01-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Who could contact in the Hartford, Connecticut area (or closest) regarding a tech inspection for an IT vehicle.

I apologize in advance if this is not the correct list for this question, I an new to the group.

Josh Scott

gran racing
01-02-2004, 03:13 PM
Hi Josh,
I'm assuming you are looking to get your car teched. If so, there will be a tech in Windsor, CT, on 3/6 (at Kart Trak).

In the past, Brian Jones was the primary tech inspector for CT (and then some). If you have specific tech questions that you may want clarification on that is in the GCR, I would contact the headquarters club racing tech inspector. Most "local" tech inspectors are a bit weary of giving their interpretation of the "very straight forward" GCR.

Best of luck and of course welcome!
Dave

Diane
01-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Dave, is this confirmed?

Thanks,

Diane

Greg Amy
01-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Brian used to offer to tech your car if you trailered it to him in Waterford CT, but he's been busier 'n snot this year and Can't do it. If you can make it to one of the annual tech sessions, that's your best bet. Second opportunity is to go to one of the early driver's schools and wait in line until the school starts, the tech guys can usually help you mid-day.

Don't forget to check your SFI harness build dates before showing up...anything punched earlier than January 2002 must be replaced for the 2004 racing season.

Greg

[This message has been edited by grega (edited January 02, 2004).]

JoshScott
01-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Dave,

I do find the GCR's to be fairly straight forward and similar to Rally.

I also understand that they would be reluctant to make definitive decisions about non-conventional designs, however, I do believe that they (the regional tech inspectors) are as close to a local authority as it gets. I am looking for general guidelines like:

Definitely not a problem.
Might be an problem.
Big Problem.

I am not looking to push the envelope on the rules, I just want a trained set of eyes to verify the items that I believe to be already in conformance and object to any glaring mistakes I may be about to make.

The rally community, just as the road racing community, has certain "designs" that are fairly standard to all cars. For instance:
The cross bar that goes between the main hoop and front hoop (across the door opening) on rally cars typically runs across the door sill, as long as the factory door beam is still in place. This helps to prevent stumps from impaling the drivers hips when you slide off the road on a sharp right hander at 75mph. That placement would likely not be effective or acceptable in road racing, when you get T-boned, even though it "may" confirm to the rules. I certainly think that crossing the doors or NASCAR style door bars are more effective, but I use this as an elementary example.

I guess that all of this is a long way of saying that I would be more comfortable if a Tech inspector confirmed what my proposed design changes were, in person, rather than sending a letter to Topeka.

Also, if I wait until March (Kart Trak) to have this happen, I will loose the time I need to make the changes.

Sorry for the long response… I had some free time. Guess I should have been studying the GCR’s!

Josh

JoshScott
01-02-2004, 10:41 PM
Greg,

I tried to get your e-mail from your website, but the contact link wasn't working. Could you contact me off-list at:

[email protected]

I had a few specific questions that I didn't want to bore the rest of the list with.

Thanks,
Josh

JLawton
01-03-2004, 09:57 AM
I ran into the same issue when I built my car. I could not get anyone to look at it. When I tried e-mailing questions, I got wishy washy answers because nobody wanted to give advice with out seeing it!! (I little catch 22) I think your best bet is to go to this forum to ask questions, go to the first tech (cross your fingers) and if you have to make changes you can go to one of the other techs. DON'T WAIT TIL THE FIRST RACE/SCHOOL. You'll wait for a loooong time and still not be assured you'll get signed off.
Good luck!!

------------------
Jeff L
#17 944

joeg
01-03-2004, 10:46 AM
Jeff--If you emailed written questions without photos, you should not expect quick hard answers.

Tech people really have to see the thing to judge it. Even with photos, you may not get an answer. You simply would not believe how people can screw up a description.

lateapex911
01-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Josh-

Topeka and this board are your best bets, but Topeka is the "Final say" ...almost. The trouble with the local guys is that when you get an answer, it may not be definitive. We have great guys in tech, and unfortunately, a couple here and there, that are, shall we say, a bit headstrong. Most of the time you get the right answer, but once in a while.......and once they write something in your logbook, even though every other tech reads it and says "hogwash", you will have to do what the writing says. So, your best bet is to have the paperwork done before the tech ever sees the car.

I would recommend getting, if you don't have one already, a dig camera, then "Mark up" the pics with lines and such, and ask questions here.

This site is not an easy place to post pics, but it can be done if you have some hosting space. Others here do and will likely be happy to help in that dept.

I know your doorbar comments were just an example, but as you mentioned it, the IT rules are structured in such a way as to reward you for putting in "NASCAR" door bars, which don't have to be that "NASCAR" at all. I recomend you look into it. I can email shots of my car if you like.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

p99ro
01-05-2004, 12:33 AM
JAKE Call Me

Scott Haven 203 515 6003