PDA

View Full Version : NE Div tracks..

swiss gary
01-01-2004, 10:14 PM
I'm new to this, I mean really new (moved in from the UK). Just in the process of purchasing a wee car (98 Civic) and wondered 1) Which tracks are covered by the NE Div, 2) Where are they and 3) How would you rate them? 4) Approx distance from Philly would be interesting too.

Thanks

SG -

Super7
01-02-2004, 04:53 AM
There is another thread discussing the tracks, so here goes distances from Philly.

Summit Point: 188 Miles, about 60 miles due west of Baltimore
Pocono: 106 miles, right up I-476
Beaver run: 337 Miles, other end of the state, just off I-76
Nelson: 405 miles, past beaver run, in Ohio
Watkins Glen: 264 miles, up 476 then west a bit in New York
Lime Rock: 214 miles, in Conn.
NHIS: 389 miles, way up in New Hampshire.
Mid-Ohio: 480 miles
VIR: 401 miles, just about in N. Carolina

See: http://www.scca.org/getstarted/nediv.html for links to all the regions and tracks in the area.

Phil Gott
01-02-2004, 09:53 AM
Welcome to the U.S. and our road racing!

Track ratings are very subjective, of course, and depend on your preferences and car. As an ITA racer (Integra) and former TR4A driver, my view is that NHIS is a very technical track, with few turns truly linked. Its signature turn is, arguably, turns 1 and 2 of the NASCAR oval. It has a nice "bowl" and uphill section. Lime Rock is just the opposite; a track where you can build up "momentum" by linking one turn with the next. The downhill right hander has been called one of the most challenging turns of US road courses, and it has some "esses" that are lots of fun. Both these tracks are relatively short at about 1 5/8 miles. Longer road course tracks are Watkins Glen and Summmit Point. Both of these are also great fun, and like Lime Rock, it is important to link the turns together. These two have higher top speeds than either NHIS or Lime rock, and are about a mile longer as well. In your CRX you will enjoy all of them. I haven't run Pocono since it was changed.

As someone new to the area, you will find the competitors and people at all of these tracks to be just really nice folks. I hope you will stop by and say "hello" to us at ITA 14 Silver Acura Integra. (In the UK the car is known as a "Honda" Integra.)