PDA

View Full Version : Pix?

Diane
09-30-2003, 04:50 PM
Did anyone get Roz pix from the Pig Roast yet or was he not even there? His schedule still says "tentative".

My only event this year, I was counting on *something* (and hopefully not a flag shot)

Thanks,

Diane

moto62
10-01-2003, 12:50 AM
Haven't seen a pic from Roz all year http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/rolleyes.gif
Ray

JohnRW
10-01-2003, 10:10 AM
He was there...I crashed right in front of him on Saturday, at the Downhill Left in the rain. "Hi, Roz...hope I was in focus...".

Haven't gotten a thing from him in the last year, despite requests, and I'm a 'paying customer' too. Don't know what's going on with his stuff.

Jake
10-01-2003, 10:57 AM
I did get pictures from the Aug 8th race at LRP. Nothing since then.

Tkczecheredflag
10-01-2003, 04:12 PM
I received several pictures from Roz. I saw him in Big Bend Saturday.
Tim

Diane
10-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Wow, I figured everything was going out as it should since no one was complaining. Oh well, I guess there is still hope then.

Diane

RX767
12-09-2003, 04:18 PM
I was also at the Fun One this year. Yesterday, I received some pictures from Roz. It must be quite a job to organize and mail pictures for over a hundred competitors at an event. With snow and ice around me, I was happy to get them.

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

Diane
12-09-2003, 06:45 PM
He sent me an email a couple of weeks ago and was *not* at Pig Roast. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Diane

7racing
12-10-2003, 11:36 AM
I received 1 picture this year from Roz. And it wasn't even of "my" car.

Jeremy

lateapex911
12-10-2003, 09:45 PM
I got..... a bill!

Something about sending a bunch of money for some static photos I didn't ask for....

(I wish he would take pics on race day, not the staged looking shots he always sends.)

And I don't appreciate him requiring me to look thru his stack of stuff, unrelated, about his other businesses, then reading the fine print, then packing it all up and sending (and paying!) his prints back! Can I send HIM a bill for my time??

No? Ok, then no payment will be made....

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

dominojd
12-12-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by lateapex911:
I got..... a bill!

Something about sending a bunch of money for some static photos I didn't ask for....

(I wish he would take pics on race day, not the staged looking shots he always sends.)

And I don't appreciate him requiring me to look thru his stack of stuff, unrelated, about his other businesses, then reading the fine print, then packing it all up and sending (and paying!) his prints back! Can I send HIM a bill for my time??

No? Ok, then no payment will be made....

I am in much agreement here. If I didn't ask for it I don't want and am not paying for it. If it was sent to me with out asking it must be a gift.

It is funny because there is this new thing called digital photography. You can take pics and post them on a website and all the racers can go home at look at these pics and say wow I like that one I think I will purchase it. Neat concept. It also saves the racer and the photographer alot of time money and aggrivation.

------------------
Crazy Joe
#7 ITS pilot

bgracing
12-12-2003, 01:24 PM
Roz does not travel to NHIS unless he is requested to shoot the photo trophies as well.
he was not used for trophies this year by NER which might explain his absence.

Brian

Diane
12-12-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by dominojd:
It is funny because there is this new thing called digital photography. You can take pics and post them on a website and all the racers can go home at look at these pics and say wow I like that one I think I will purchase it. Neat concept. It also saves the racer and the photographer alot of time money and aggrivation.

One would think. However I spent more than a year waiting for pix to get posted for a non-SCCA event (by a "professional photography outfit"). My emails were unanswered and the phone just rang. When they finally posted pix from that year, they didn't post the event we were at.

Finally got in touch with the guy, he promised and promised to put up the pix of us so I could purchase them and still never did.

Too bad cuz there were pix of both of us running together that I really wanted to buy.

Diane

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited December 12, 2003).]

gran racing
12-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Well, I certainly not a great photographer but do think the non-digital cameras have advantages over digital ones for quality and flexibility. When you look at the majority of professional photographers (at sporting events including racing, weddings, ect.) most do not use digital cameras.

I'm not sure how I feel about getting photos I haven't asked for. I have three envelopes - two from LRP and one from Summit pt. (all from different photographers). And yes I did receive them a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to sending them back. Although I may keep a few.

If I get just a few during the year, I'm o.k. with that. If I get many, then it becomes annoying.

MMiskoe
12-12-2003, 11:15 PM
I used to ride horses competitively and would always get a stack of proofs in the mail after an event. NEVER did anyone ask for money or the proofs.

Anything you get in the mail unsolicited, is yours to keep.

The idea that you're expected to return the proofs or pay for them is both rude & arrogant. Its a speculative business. Besides, once they've been printed, the cost is the same regaurdless of who has possetion of them. Their not returnable beer cans that can get recycled.

Sorry for the rant, that plan just gets under my skin.

dpc
12-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Gee wiz, where is Banna Foto when you need them. the good ole days. dave

lateapex911
12-13-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by gran racing:
Well, I certainly not a great photographer but do think the non-digital cameras have advantages over digital ones for quality and flexibility. When you look at the majority of professional photographers (at sporting events including racing, weddings, ect.) most do not use digital cameras.

Doug?? Doug? Care to chime in here?

I'm not a pro either, but I can see your point. I've held off on the Dig camera purchase because the results just didn't match the old emulsion based film process. I didn't like to huge cost of the better systems, and my need to replace my entire inventory. I didn't like the lack of true wide angle capability of the less expensive systems, and their zooms were awful as well. I've never liked the 'press the shutter button now and get reaction in 3 seconds' approach either. (I tried taking a picture of a dramatic thundercloud scene this summer, and by the time I got the available digital camera on, adjusted the stupid menu settings, tried to figure out how to turn the flash OFF, the shot lost it's dramatic sunset lighting, and was gone. I could of had 12 shots with an SLR, and gotten a great shot. Grrrr)

That said, the latest version of cameras is much better, and each of my objections can be resolved.

The convenience and ease of data transfer and manipulation makes them a powerful tool. I can't imagine pro photographers in deadline oriented businesses NOT using digital.

I wish someone would make a reasonably priced digital back that would fit my Canon SLR, though...

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Team Rocket
12-13-2003, 03:19 PM
My wife is an Exec in a large Ad agency in Boston (she's been in the print Ad business 20+ years). She says that while digital photography is much more convenient (and allows shorter lead times) traditional film photography is still state of the art. Something about whites not being as pure and less then desirable blacks. But more and more people are starting to switch to digital.

The guy at Beaver Run takes digital pictures and posts the proofs in the office at the end of the day where you can go and look at them. I was able to get a print of a great shot of my Rabbit 2 wheeling it after hitting a curb. And I got a CD with the picture on it that day. Sweet!

Guess what I have as the picture for my desktop? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Jim

gran racing
12-13-2003, 03:53 PM
It would be interesting to see what the sales differences would be:

- a photographer that puts them on the web / has them avail. at the track to view
or
- a photographer that mails them out to potential customers ask discussed above.

I guess if I (or others) really don't want to receive unsolicited photos, I could send a reply back to them to be put on a "do not mail" list. Not saying the sales method is right or not...

Diane
12-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Roger S prints photos at the track and will come around to see if you want to buy it. I would actually prefer to see what he has and then pick out what I want, but his method isn't too bad. Always feel bad saying "no" though!

My only complaint with him is that it is near impossible to get in touch with him after the fact to buy the negative or to get reprints. Another thing I have to put back on my to-do list.

I never minded the packages from Roz, guess it was all the excitement in the first season of racing. We bought the family pack so it worked out well for us.

Diane

<fixed incomplete sentence>

[This message has been edited by Diane (edited December 13, 2003).]

16v
12-14-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by gran racing:

I have to pipe up on this.

Now, I'm certainly not a professional photog. Some folks here know me from NER events. Since I'm there to crew I enjoy taking photos while our car is not on track.

When I first started coming to the track I used my film camera. That quickly became an expen$ive idea. The cost of film, processing and printing was so cost prohibitive that I had to sit down and think long and hard about it. In the end, I did the math and figured that I would be able to offset the purchase of a Digi SLR after 5000 exposures. Working digitally, I was able to "save" the cost of the camera in 4 months! So, what I had was a much more cost effective solution to shooting races.
In addition to NER events I have credentials to ALMS and Speed World Challenge so I shoot A LOT of images (about 9k per year). I could never have done this with film. I'd be broke!
Quality wise, shooting digital is, except in extreme cases like poster size enlargements, virtually equal to film in color quality, tonal balance, sharpness, etc. Side by side, you would be hard pressed to discern a digi print from a film print. One of the major pluses is that if the photo is poor (out of focus, missed the shot, whatever) it can be deleted on the spot so as to not waste space on the memory card - roughly 25% of film shots are "throw aways" which is not cost effective at all.
Flexability- the digi cam allows for a vast range of effects that were never possible with film. One word that sums them all up would be Photo Shop http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

So, I guess my point here is that in my mind digi photography in this sport is the way to go. The quality is there, the speed is there, and most importantly the instant gratification of seeing the images of Joe Racer making "the winning pass" 5 minutes after he gets back to his paddock stall is there. (now if I could figure a way to easily display them to all the races at the track I'd be set).

In closing, as I said, I'm not a pro. I do this as a hobby. I've tried to get race weekend photos online for the drivers to see within 48 hours of the race. I'm not out to make a bazillion dollars at it, I just hope to sell a couple images from each event to cover my gas and beer money for the weekend. Some weekends I do, some weekends I don't. Next season I hope to have my processes streamlined a bit so I can serve you guys better and get more racers to purchase from me. I don't believe in pushing images on people etc. I just hope you check out my website and find something you like.
Bottom line is, I have fun doing it and that's what is important. I've met a gaggle of really cool people via shooting photos of them on track. When it stops being fun, I'll find something else to do.

see you at the track in '04

DJK

btw- these days the majority of Photojournalism you see in print or web is all digital. Major mags like Sports Illustrated (even National Geographic is doing it) and major newspapers all shoot digital. Why? Because the photog can transmit his images back to the editor from halfway around the world in minutes, which in turn means our "gotta have it now world" gets to see the news shortly after it breaks. Which is awesome!

------------------
Doug :)
the16v.com (http://the16v.com)
briansgarage.com (http://www.briansgarage.com)

Diane
12-14-2003, 02:46 PM
Doug,

Your pix are awesome. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif But the camera you have - at the time you bought it - was probably out of most peoples price range. I know when we looked at cameras we could not find one that would do high speed and the optical zoom in a price we felt comfortable with.

That's changed a lot though recently! Canon has a nice one out at $1500 and I know there are a couple more out there.

Our S50 can do things that our HP315 can't even dream of and they are only 2 years apart.

I tend to use both still, and typically just scan my negatives in. But the instant gratification of a digital can't be beat.

Doug, can you make sure my emails are getting through to you? I sent you a couple back in the summer but was having isp problems then, I'll dig them up and resend.

16v
12-14-2003, 09:40 PM
Diane~ yes, I realize the equipment I use is not for everyone but there are devices for every budget. The prices have come WAY down since I bought into my pro equipment (sucks for me!). But I still love the stuff I have and hope it will do me right for years to come.

And no, I didn't have any mail from you this summer? Please send again if you had a photo request or just want to talk

p99ro
12-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Hey I`ll toss my 2 cents in.
I one day received 4 photo`s and a bill.
I then reived another bill stating past due.
Imade a phone call which I paid for asking why is this supposed to be my problem. I explained I never asked for these photo`s and am not sending photo`s or money. "Please do not take anymore,then send me them."
He said keep them. And I to received information on investments. He also told me that he got my address from NER SCCA. And said well SCCA gives out our names and addresses to companies and he`s just doing the same. Now are we on a anybody can get our information because we are member`s of this club?
Well guess what again I receive photo`s I completely ignored this time till the 3 rd late payment notices and I called and insistend he not contact me again. Since then he has`nt. I like photo`s but that is to pushy for me. The guy at EMRA was real nice he came up and asked would you like your car shot. Gee what a concept.
Ok I feel better now.
Happy holiday`s to all and 4 months till NHIS. NER Scott Haven 09 CRX

dominojd
12-18-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by p99ro:
The guy at EMRA was real nice he came up and asked would you like your car shot. Gee what a concept.

I believe his name is David Zipkin. Free plug. I probably spelled it wrong anyway. Nice guy. I bought pics from him a few times. Something like 10 pics for $25. He went as far when I won a time trail a few years back I saw him when he was all packed up and leaving. I asked if he could take a pic with me,car , and the trophy. He said no prob and unpacked his camera and did it. It's those little things in life you remember.

------------------
Crazy Joe
#7 ITS pilot

SpeedyDave
12-18-2003, 10:07 PM
While not a pro photographer, I do have published works in pretty big locations.
FWIW, everyone's going 100% digital. All the mags want digital now (high res. tiff or sometimes super high quality jpg). I bought my first digital camera about 2 years ago and haven't picked up the film cameras since. (was thinking of selling them on ebay)
I have found I take a whole lot more photos now too, plus if I'm experimenting I can see the photos immediately and adjust exposure/etc as I see fit to get the shot I want.
I've been "official photographer" for racing friends when I'm not busy with my own races - and made 300+ shots during one weekend, only had to change the memory card once. If that had been film it would have been 10+ rolls of film plus development etc. Plus I would have had to change rolls in the middle of the race - several times. I would have missed some great shots. At the end I just burned a CD with all the good images, and printed any that we wanted prints of.

On the subject of the current photo "mafia" I do tend to dislike the idea of sending photos and a bill. I'd much rather see them send a proof sheet and have you order which prints you like. But of course that wouldn't make as much money. Mainly I'm getting tired of seeing the same old shots over and over again.

[This message has been edited by SpeedyDave (edited December 18, 2003).]

ulfelder
12-19-2003, 06:54 AM
Mailing someone a handful of photos along with an invoice (thus attempting to force them to either return the photos at their own expense or pay up) is a crappy, underhanded business practice. Like many others here, I had a certain photographer try this scam on me. Like many others here, I tore up the "invoices" and "late payment notices" until the photographer stopped sending them.

Those who operate this way deserve to go out of business.

One of the beautiful things about the Internet is that practices like this tend to be exposed quickly and thoroughly.

/Steve U

Wreckerboy
12-19-2003, 09:37 AM
The "EMRA guy" is in fact Dave Zipkin or Fast Forward Photography. He can be reached at [email protected]. Nice guy, great service, good pictures, and yes, he asks before he shoots.

Not affiliated, YMMV, standard disclaimers apply, see your dealer for details.

dominojd
12-20-2003, 07:49 AM
Mainly I'm getting tired of seeing the same old shots over and over again.
][/B]

I agree. I have been running with a HPDE club for quite a few years and if you look at the photos from year to year you can't tell the difference. One of the best photos of me was taken early this year at LRp Liberty regional 6/14 by Doug. It was one of the coolest shots. It was coming out of the down hill. It is a rear shot of the car leaning like it is going to tip over and there is black marks left on the track from all four tires as I'm sliding across the track. That is creative. Thanks Doug. Keep up the good work. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Crazy Joe
#7 ITS pilot

Diane
12-23-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by 16v:

And no, I didn't have any mail from you this summer? Please send again if you had a photo request or just want to talk

I resent to your "me" addy, let me know if you don't get it!

Thanks!

Diane