PDA

View Full Version : FRS/GMRS/Walkabout Radio question

Blix
12-04-2003, 05:10 PM
I'm eyeballing a set of those little radios as a christmas gift, for use by me and the crew when we're not on the track (they tend to get distracted by other cars and wander off...) Has anyone used them at LRP, NHIS, the Glen, Summit Point, etc? Is two mile good enough? 5 mile?
What about road trips between cars?

Thanks

Eric
NER SM #02

[This message has been edited by Blix (edited December 04, 2003).]

MKB
12-04-2003, 06:53 PM
I picked up a set of 2 watt(they say 5 mile but.....more like 1.5 with hills etc.) at Walmart-on sale-cobra's $48.00! I use them everywhere! In the car I just listen-track conditions-full course yellow-laps to go etc. NHIS they work great LRP can't hear much out on the uphill part! Car to car on the highway they are a must-lots of fun! Keep the batteries fresh is about the only tip!

7racing
12-05-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by MKB:
I picked up a set of 2 watt(they say 5 mile but.....more like 1.5 with hills etc.) at Walmart-on sale-cobra's $48.00! I use them everywhere! In the car I just listen-track conditions-full course yellow-laps to go etc. NHIS they work great LRP can't hear much out on the uphill part! Car to car on the highway they are a must-lots of fun! Keep the batteries fresh is about the only tip!

I used this same setup at LRP once. Not bad, except for hearing about some dude cleaning the bathroom of his motorhome. It's hard to concentrate with that.

car-to-car on the highway was great. Makes for better trips to the Glen or other tracks.

Go for it!!

Jeremy

gsbaker
12-08-2003, 02:42 PM
My wife bought me a pair yesterday at Target, cheap little Unidens with a purported 2 mile range.

Not much range, but for $17, who cares?

------------------
Gregg Baker, P.E.
Isaac, LLC
http://www.isaacdirect.com

EV
12-11-2003, 11:37 AM
Don't forget GMRS radios require a license from the FCC. There are many restrictions. Here is a link to a site that has some information http://www.popularwireless.com/gmrs.html .

FRS radios do not require a license, but they are of little help inside a car at any distance. I have used FRS radios at Summit. I could communicate from 6 to pit out, but that was with both radios outside, not within the confines of a car.

------------------
Enjoy,
Bill

[This message has been edited by EV (edited January 22, 2004).]