PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive new trailers - where to find? Might consider us

gran racing
11-13-2003, 03:20 PM
I've been using a tow dolly to tow my car due a poor tow vehicle. I ended up buying a "real" tow vehicle and can now pull a trailer without a problem.

I am looking for an open, full-deck trailer with electric brakes. To make things difficult, I have a maximum of $1,500 I can spend on a new one. I have seen some dealers in WI that sell them in this price range, but the location makes it difficult.

I tried contacting a few places in CT where I live, but their prices are too high. (CT Trailers is one of the places).

Why new? When I bought the dolly, a few issues were discovered after towing with it a few times. I really don't want to have to deal with again. If I buy used, I'd be looking at the $1,000 price range.

Any suggestions on where I could get a decent trailer? Thanks for the help.

Greg Amy
11-13-2003, 03:28 PM
Dave, Econo-Trailer is the one of choice; look around the paddock at LRP and you'll find a host of them in various iterations.

I purchased a 15' dual-axle open-deck Econo-Trailer. Steel c-channel construction, diamond-plate runways, 3' beavertail with a 3" drop. Included all new components (inc new tires), ramps, safety chains, lights, electric brakes on both axles, breakaway controller and battery, wiring, nose jack. Uses a 2-5/16" ball and 7-pin rotary RV plug. The trailer itself was $1650 and I added $190 to that for four new ratcheting tie-downs, four axle straps, a 2-5/16" ball, the truck wiring plug, and a solid-state brake controller.

I bought it all from a retailer in Hubbardston Massachusetts named Stemac Sales. Super folks and for less than $1800 I got completely setup with a new trailer and accessories.

dickita15
11-13-2003, 06:34 PM
try linberger trailer in ellington.

Team Rocket
11-13-2003, 06:58 PM
I'm with grega on this one. The Econo-trailer, from what I can tell (and if we're talking obout the same trailer), is made by a manufacturer in Penn. It is then sold under various names. They all seem to be the same trailer. I bought my 15' in NH and paid $1720 complete. It's been a great trailer so far.

Jim

lateapex911
11-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Keep looking, used Econotrailers are pretty common, and go for a thou or so. Just get a not beat up one, and make sure the bearings are up to snuff.

I liked mine, while I had it.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Jake
11-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Seems like a good way to go. It's interesting that trailers don't seem to depreciate!

http://www.tptrailersinc.com/images/OpenCarHaulers/Large/LargeEcono.gif

Some more info:

http://www.tptrailersinc.com/OpenCarHauler...onoTrailers.htm (http://www.tptrailersinc.com/OpenCarHaulers/EconoTrailers.htm)

dpc
11-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Dick, do you have a phone # and location for the trailers. I am also looking for a trailer. thanks dave

Tom Blaney
11-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Dave:

I also got an Econotrailer as a basis for mine. They are cheap, and tow well. I got some diamond plate the same thickness as the ramps and welded it into the center, then built a simple tire rack from 1" tube. Make sure you get electric brakes on both axles it helps a lot.

dickita15
11-14-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by dpc:
Dick, do you have a phone # and location for the trailers. I am also looking for a trailer. thanks dave

Dave I don't have thier number of hand but it is Linberger trailers on Rt 83 in Ellinton Ct.
dick

dpc
11-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all of the help, we have a econo- trailer dealer here. I am really looking for a full metal bed on my next one again thanks for the help. dave.. Tom, are you ready to go sking yet.

gran racing
11-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Tom, I like the welding idea. That would give me more to choose from.

Thank you all for the help! Maybe I should start my used quest then if that fails go for a new one. It is still a little more than I want to spend. I have to buy some wider wheels this year - my 5 1/2" ones just are not cutting it.

lateapex911
11-14-2003, 11:35 PM
I think the cool thing about open trailers is the way you can use them to do double duty as a lift! Open center means easy access. Less weight to tow as well.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

p99ro
11-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Jake they look cool too.
With Race car in tow.
But it sucks driving back from a race with the front end all pushed in. Right Ray.
All you see in the mirrior is $$$

Scott Haven CRX 09 ITA NER former Rx7 http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif