PDA

View Full Version : iCard in Northeast?

Greg Amy
11-16-2003, 10:50 AM
I got to experience the iCard at the ARRC Runoffs, and found it to be very helpful (and pretty darn cool to boot). Any plans/thoughts of using it in the NEDiv in 2004?

What's involved in making it available?

lateapex911
11-16-2003, 04:35 PM
I'm surprised you missed the talk I had with the iCard guy at our paddock area in Atlanta! You were what, 5 feet away?? http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

The technology is straightforward and easy. NER is cool with the finacial commitment, buying a laptop to run it etc., but the hold up is manpower.

The word on the street is that the current app locks up during the day, and requires input from an operator. I queried the iCard guy on that, and he says that the newest rev has solved that problem.

So, what NER needs is, I believe, a few volunteers to handle the laptop, the network or serial hookup, the configuration and the morning /end of day startup/shutdown at all the races.

Those persons should be somewhat computer savvy, but the time constraints will be, according to the icard guy, minimal.

The future looks promising, as they will be making Palm based products, as well as units to interface with your laptop. According to the iCard guy, these should come on line without the Regions need to replace it's existing hardware.

iCard will provide and install the needed hardware at the track, and the required investment in iCards is minimal.....the region should be able to sell out in no time.

DickITA15 has all the financial details, so perhaps he can add info here...

Any volunteers??

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Greg Amy
11-16-2003, 05:21 PM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">You were what, 5 feet away??</font>

Kinda hard to hear when you have yer head up yer aaahhh, never mind...

I'd be glad to assist in any manner possible, but I cannot commit to a full schedule of being at every race. I'd be glad to be part of a roving team from which event volunteers are chosen. I'm a networking administrator/consultant so I'm well-versed in computers and related technologies.

Let's roll!

Greg

lateapex911
11-16-2003, 06:00 PM
OK, now...we've got two of us...any others?? How 'bout Eprod7 (or swhatever his name is ..JW) for Nationals?

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]