PDA

View Full Version : Interested in getting started in club racing

mx6rich
11-09-2003, 01:56 AM
I live in central PA and am interested in getting started in club racing. I know its a while off yet but I'd like to attend some races next season as an observer before I run out and get a car to race with. I got the impression from a post I read that you can't just show up and watch a race. Can you? I'd like to watch at the Poconos, Watkins Glen, BeaveRun, and/or Summit Point. Again I know it won't be for a couple of months but any advice would be appreciated.
FYI I got involved in Solo 2 last summer at the Central PA region (and tied first place for the novice class) so I'm not completely new to the SCCA.

rbt510
11-09-2003, 10:00 AM
mx6rich - Most SCCA races are spectator events, so you can come watch for a $10 or $12 admission. You would be restricted to where you watch from, but most tracks you could walk through the pit areas and talk to drivers and crew.

Better yet, join the club and get involved in flagging and you can get real close to the action working a corner station.

Good Luck,

Bob T.
NER
ITC Datsun 510

Tom Blaney
11-09-2003, 11:25 AM
MX6RICH, why not hook up with one of the current racers and work as crew for a season. It will let you get your feet wet to the effort, expense, and enjoyment involved. I am thinking of looking for a crew guy myself for next season.

Shoot me an e, if your interested. [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Tom Blaney (edited November 09, 2003).]

Tkczecheredflag
11-09-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by rbt510:
mx6rich - Most SCCA races are spectator events, so you can come watch for a $10 or $12 admission. You would be restricted to where you watch from, but most tracks you could walk through the pit areas and talk to drivers and crew.

Better yet, join the club and get involved in flagging and you can get real close to the action working a corner station.

Good Luck,

Bob T.
NER
ITC Datsun 510

mx6rich - Flagging and Communications is how I got started, very valeuable. Did that for the first 3 years and talked to a lot of drivers in IT.
Tim Klvana
ITC #11
2002 NERRC Champion
2003 NARRC Champion

RX767
11-10-2003, 02:14 PM
Rich,
Where in Central PA are you located? I am in Williamsport and plan to frequent some the tracks you listed. I plan on running about one event per month in an effort to build seat time and move up from dead last.

Some basic things to do between now and the Spring is join SCCA and search around this site. There are some great threads about getting started with sound advice.

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

mx6rich
11-11-2003, 01:54 AM
I live in Selinsgrove. I'm actually in Williamsport 3x's a week, I take some classes at PennTech. If you need any help next season at any of the races let me know, I'd be glad to help out and get the experience. I take it from your screen name you have a RX7. They are up there on my list for the car I'd like to buy and race with eventually so it would be great to see what all is involved with preping and racing it.

mx6rich
11-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I was thinking about jumping right in and getting a car next summer but then decided I should take it a little slower. It sounds like this is definately the way to go. I solo 2 with the scca-cpr so that will help pass the time.

I guess what I would like to do is to tag along with some of you at least for the next season to gain some insight/experience on club racing before I make any investments in a car. I work full time (and only have every 3rd weekend off) and go to school part time so I probably won't be able to go to that many races. I'm working on getting a job with regular hours, hopefully by next year I'll have one.

Again thanks for the info, I'll keep reading the posts here on the board and then maybe closer to next season I'll post again about tagging along with someone. I'd be glad to help out/work for the experience.

[This message has been edited by mx6rich (edited November 11, 2003).]

RX767
11-12-2003, 12:43 PM
Rich,
I will keep you in mind as next season approachs. I run '81 RX7 in the ITA class and I am at the beginning end of this addiction. I have only logged about seven race weekends. I do not do much with car during the Winter since it sits under a carport on dry rotted tires. I have also run Solo II with CPA at the test track before. They are great people and the events are well run. I may even do one or two of those next year depending on time, etc..

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

Dave Ebersole
11-13-2003, 02:16 PM
Rich, I live near Altoona and race a lot at Summit Point. If you come to a race there next year, look me up.
Dave
ITB BMW 2002 #2