PDA

View Full Version : ARRC NE Caravan

Greg Amy
10-24-2003, 03:02 PM
OK, Nor'easters, it's that time. Time for the Northeast Caravan to the ARRC Runoffs at Road Atlanta. Let's get a count of who's going and when.

As noted in another topic, our plans are to leave the Hartford CT area some time the late afternoon/early evening of Tuesday November 4th. We plan to travel south via I-84 west, I-81 south, I-77 south, to I-85 south to Road Atlanta. From Hartford that will be a 975 mile trip each way; we've got two in our truck so we'll plan on doing it non-stop. We'll have FRS/GMRS radios (let's agree to a freq) and probably a CB radio as well. We'll be staying in Buford GA, about 20 miles towards Atlanta from the track.

I've got a Ford diesel 1-ton van; I should be able to cruise on the highways at 70-80 for 350 miles no problem, but my butt-o-meter runs out every 3 hours or so and needs a refill (and draining). If anyone needs assistance in carrying stuff let me know and I can see about accomodating you (but not too much, as we're bringing the kitchen sink.)

I'd like to get a roll call of who might like to join us for the trip and from where and when they'll be departing; if we can find a common meeting point if would be good for us to caravan down together.

Our return plans are to leave Road Atlanta northbound at the end of the day Saturday. We'll probably be beat so we'll think about stopping overnight and finishing up the trip on Sunday.

Speak up, let's hear your plans!

Greg Amy
203.209.1217 cell

Greg Amy
10-24-2003, 03:04 PM
To toss a wrench into careful planning, I've learned that Kirk Knestis, who cannot join us at the ARRC, lives all of 7 miles out of our way in Greensboro NC. If we find ourselves in the area at a reasonable time (i.e., not a 4:00 AM) then we will consider stopping and meeting him for breakfast.

R RACER
10-24-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm there Greg I'll call you next week, I'm still working on getting ready.

------------------
Anthony Serra ITA 99

JackH55
10-25-2003, 03:54 PM
Greg,
suggestion when you are on 84 and get to I87, take it south to pick up I 287 into jersey and then I78 to pick up I81 near Harrisburg - a little shorter less hills and traffic. Also cheap fuel in Jersey.

Jack

moto62
10-25-2003, 11:15 PM
grega- Sounds like a plan. We are in southern Ct. and can hopefully join up with the caravan on I84 somewhere in the Danbury area. Really looking forward to this adventure.
Ray

dominojd
10-26-2003, 11:38 AM
I hate you guys. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif That will teach me not to wreck. Still rebuilding

------------------
Crazy Joe
#7 ITS pilot

RSTPerformance
10-26-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by dominojd:
I hate you guys. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif That will teach me not to wreck. Still rebuilding

Me To http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/frown.gif

Stephen Blethen

p99ro
10-26-2003, 08:09 PM
Good Show Guys. Have fun I hope maybe next year.
Now you all gota Kick some southern ass.
Let them know that Yankee`s can drive too.
Now Ray you can get ciggs Cheaper down there.
Breakfeast is Grits and eggs.

Good luck again. I`m trying my luck with a last hura at The other club this weekend At LRP.
Scott Haven CRX 09 NER

Greg Amy
10-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Hey, Joe and Stephen, don't hate us, join us. I've got open crew slots and a floor you can sleep on...

Everyone else: I'm trying to coordinate with Fletcher to let us paddock together. Please, as soon as you can, contact me directly or use this forum to let me know that you're coming; what your car, class, and number is; what your tow vehicle is and and length and type of trailers (note that open trailers must be paddocked away from our common area). Armed with that info Fletcher will try his best to take care of our needs. Unless I hear from you, you run the risk of paddocking away from the beer cooler.

7 days and counting...

Greg Amy
grega -at- pobox -dot- com

7racing
10-27-2003, 11:16 AM
Good luck, y'all.

Maybe next year for me. I think that makes it 372 days and counting.

Jeremy

dominojd
10-27-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by grega:
Hey, Joe and Stephen, don't hate us, join us.

I was considering going down but, (there is always a but) I will be in Birmingham Al this coming weekend and the little lady would probably through me out if I took two long trips on consecutive weekends. I will be at LRP with PDA Sat. of that weekend though. I guess I'll have to run the street car. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif No gaurdrails though.

------------------
Crazy Joe
#7 ITS pilot

Nick Leverone
10-27-2003, 11:22 PM
Greg,

I will meet you in Atlanta on Wednesday evening or Thursday morning, please save me apaddock space. I will have the diesel Excursion with the 24' enclosed trailer.

Thanks,

------------------
Nick Leverone
04 ITS Mazda Rx-7
www.flatout-motorsports.com

lateapex911
10-28-2003, 12:34 AM
Greg-

Things are looking pretty good here, I will be bringing my 22' enclosed behind the GMC pu.

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

moto62
10-28-2003, 12:35 AM
Greg, Ford bronco tow vehicle, Acura Integra, ITA #62, open trailer.
Ray

Greg Amy
10-28-2003, 09:07 AM
Got 'em all, thanks. I heard from Anthony and Stephen Blethan (who's hacking away at the car, hoping to make it) individually, and that covers everyone that I'm aware is going. Nick, any of your compadres bringing another RX-7?

Anyone else?

ITSRX7
10-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Nick, any of your compadres bringing another RX-7?

Nick is on his own this year...

Good luck to all Northeasterners!!!

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

Greg Amy
10-28-2003, 09:19 AM
Route Update

Anthony needs to drive into Jersey down 287 to pick up a crew person. His shop is in New York State just outside Danbury CT. I propose (subject to his approval) that we meet at Anthony's shop at a pre-arranged time and adjust our route as Jack suggested, going down I-287 to -78 west to -81 south.

I'm open for leaving just about any time Tuesday, the later the better (less time off a busy work schedule). Does anyone else have any time restrictions for Tuesday?

Anthony, assuming you're OK with meeting at your place, please post address/directions and your proposed departure time.

Greg Amy
10-28-2003, 01:35 PM
Current list:

Greg Amy
ITS Nissan NX2000 #3
Ford 1-ton van
open trailer

Anthony Serra
ITA Acura Integra #99
"15 or so foot" Class C motorhome
24' enclosed trailer

Ray Lee Chee
ITA Acura Integra #62
Full sized Ford Bronco
Open trailer

Jake Gulick
ITA Mazda RX-7 #57
GMC Pickup
22' enclosed trailer

Nick Leverone
ITS RX-7 #04
Ford Excursion
24' enclosed trailer

Stephen Blethen
ITB Audi Coupe #50
Dually Dodge 3/4 ton pickup
20' enclosed trailer

gsbaker
10-28-2003, 02:34 PM
What a sight this will be. Someone has to post a photo.

------------------
Gregg Baker
Isaac, LLC
[email protected]

moto62
10-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Tues evening meet at Anthony's is good for me. Come up with a time, say 7:00pm? (assuming Anthony is ok with the meeting place). The I287s route will be a little better than the I84 to I81. I'm ready, let's go.
Ray

itbgti
10-28-2003, 03:07 PM
Greg,

Great idea you have going here...I will be flying down to help Nick out, but will be taking the drive back in the Excursion.

Another idea...after you get everything confirmed (you are pretty much at that point now), you may want to post in the General IT discussions the caravan's plans, and ask for some "volunteer" emergency contacts along the way (they can just email you their contact numbers)...possibly include in the post that they will be compensated if their services are needed, you all would be just looking for a fair break. EXAMPLE...One of the members blows out a trailer tire (no spare from anyone) , you are near XXX, VA, one of your volunteer contacts is Kirk, he lets you know of a decent shop 2.5 miles from your location.

Hey, maybe a bad idea, or a good one...it would be a nice to have.

I am in Newtown, CT (Exit 10 off I84), right next to Danbury....so if you hit trouble that early http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif give me a call (email me at [email protected] and I will send you my cell number).

Regards,
Alan

bgracing
10-29-2003, 03:47 PM
Good luck everyone!!!

a tip on the drive, if you are driving at night you might consider 95 south to 85 south. the roads have less hills and are in better shape. you will not have a problem with any of the cities you would go through that early in the morning. 81 follows the appilations and is very rural, fuel at night can be tough the father inland you go.

I've been both ways and prefer the 95 route best.

don't forget your rain gear sometimes it comes down pretty heavy, and lots of the paddock area is on a hill.

Make the northeast proud!!!

brian m

benspeed
10-29-2003, 05:24 PM
GO NORTHEAST! Great to see our region will be represented by top talent in ITS, ITB and ITA! I hope folks are going to the NAARC banquet so we can hear first hand how the races went.

Best of luck to everybody.

Cheers,

Benspeed #33 ITS RX7 (for sale, top secret vehicle on the way for '04!)

R RACER
10-29-2003, 10:13 PM
Anyone wanting to caravan down with us and wants to meet by me please email me. My shop is a little tight on parking right now. So we will meet down to road close to the highway. How's everyone doing? I have not touched my car yet, but will start tommorow night.Bring rains thats my predictions.Ray bring the Corona's!

------------------
Anthony Serra ITA 99

Tkczecheredflag
10-29-2003, 10:55 PM
Current list:

Greg Amy
ITS Nissan NX2000 #3
Ford 1-ton van
open trailer

Anthony Serra
ITA Acura Integra #99
"15 or so foot" Class C motorhome
24' enclosed trailer

Ray Lee Chee
ITA Acura Integra #62
Full sized Ford Bronco
Open trailer

Jake Gulick
ITA Mazda RX-7 #57
GMC Pickup
22' enclosed trailer

Nick Leverone
ITS RX-7 #04
Ford Excursion
24' enclosed trailer

Stephen Blethen
ITB Audi Coupe #50
Dually Dodge 3/4 ton pickup
20' enclosed trailer

i THOUGHT Jeff Leone was gringing down his ITC Fiesta? Jeff what's up?
Tim Klvana
ITC #11

dpc
10-30-2003, 08:04 AM
Bring everybody and every car back in one piece. Have a great time - be safe - dave

Greg Amy
10-30-2003, 11:42 AM
Sounds like we have a plan. We'll all meet down the street (grin) from Anthony's shop at or around 7:00 PM Tuesday night November 4th. Anthony's shop can be found at:

Mechanic Shop North Inc
Dingle Ridge Rd
North Salem, NY 10560
(914) 669-9679

Mapquest: http://tinyurl.com/t0fy

Anthony, if you've got a specific spot you'd like to meet, such as a commuter parking lot, please speak up and let us know. Otherwise, I figure we'll pass by your shop and figure it out.

Unless otherwise notified, I'm expecting all of the above to meet us there except Nick. No one else has contacted me but all are welcome to join us, just let me know. I'd recommend that everyone send to me their cellphone number and take down mine (203.209.1217); if we're all queued up to leave at North Salem and someone's missing it would be nice to know if you're coming or how long we need to wait. I'll also bring my FRS/GMRS radios for intra-caravan wake-up calls, we'll work out a frequency when we meet up.

In trading correspondence with Sandy and Fletcher (and reading this board) there is no apparent rush to arrive: parking at the track will not begin until 5:00 PM Wednesday. Once we arrive we'll be able to lounge in the area and catch up on sleep but no parking will happen until then. I've arranged with them to allow all of us to paddock together. Given the "no rush" Matt and I will most likely stop in Greensboro for breakfast with Kirk Knestis, and everyone else is certainly welcome to join us.

FYI, Appalachian Tire will be on site for support; Rodney told me they'll have enough people and equipment to offer 15-minute turnaround on a set of tires. Road Atlanta told me there's no reservations required for the test day, just show up with your checkbook.

Barring any unexpected circumstances, I'll see you all Tuesday night.

Greg

P.S. Gregg - while we'll certainly get photos of the caravan, the best one will be of Matt working on the open trailer down the highway finishing up the Nissan engine installation...

RSTPerformance
10-30-2003, 12:39 PM
My brother is now in VT working till spring time so I will post for him...

His car still is not done (as he can not work on it except on days off from work)... Most likely we will be working on it till the last day... If we don't have ANY problems then hopefully we will make it, although it certainly won't be good looking as their is deffinatly no time for the bodyshop... A lot was damaged and a lot had to be ordered/replaced. With that mentioned I hope that if we do make it they will not send us away because of the "Neat and Clean" rule.

Anyway we will have a better idea next week if we will make it or not. One thing is definate, only 1 car will be coming as we deffinatly do not have enough time to fix both cars nore is their enough $$$.

Raymond "12:30am sucks when you need to get up at 6:00am" Blethen
RST Performance Racing
2 1984 ITB Audi Coupe's
1 AS Mustang Cobra

PS: We will not make the caravan as Stephen will stil be working when you go... and I will still be working on the car!!! Wish we could have been part of it, maybe next year...

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited October 30, 2003).]

almracing
10-31-2003, 01:34 PM
Caravan Rule #1 - No bump drafting!

Good luck to everyone!

Anthony R.
ITA #86

RSTPerformance
10-31-2003, 02:06 PM
Bump Drafting...

Hummmm My brother and I have never been in trouble for that on the street or on the track!!!

(PS) It is deffinatly a good test to see if the girlfreind is really into this stuff or not!!!

Vantage #51
10-31-2003, 05:47 PM
The Vantage Motorspors White GMC& enclosed trailer will be following the same route at aproximately the same times,so we will keep an eye and an ear out for all you NE guys.
Derek Lugar/Colin Harmer

Greg Amy
10-31-2003, 10:41 PM
Derek/Colin, you and anyone else are welcome to join the formation enroute. Keep my phone number handy and call for updates and status.

4 days and counting. Matt got the engine pulled today for the swap...

Greg

Greg Amy
11-04-2003, 02:00 PM
Are we there yet...?