PDA

View Full Version : NE or NER going with the iCard technology?

ITSRX7
10-21-2003, 12:53 PM
It would be great if the Division signed on as a group but...

Will the NER be adopting the iCard technology at NHIS and LRP? Where do I send my proxy vote? Awesome stuff IMHO.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

dickita15
10-21-2003, 02:19 PM
first if it happens it will be by region. Denise Patten, timing chief for Ner and I have been doing the research. i got to use one at the runoffs for an afternoon and you are right it is neat. i belive it will be a discussion item at the open comp board meeting at ner's annual meeting in january. the cost is not that much. there are only 2 downsides i can see. one is that timing is not sure they want another job for thier short staffed group. two is the region must sign a 3 year exclusive not to use any other handheld wireless technology. if amb or whoever get thiers up we can not switch.
wdc i am told just had the system installed. the timing folks said they would set it up but the drivers would have to provide an operator. no one showed up for the sunday so the system was not turned on.
dick

eprodrx7
10-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Dick,
I talked to the guy from Icard at the runoffs and he said flat out that this would be of no cost to any region wanting to use the system. Further there is no new job to do to get it running. As I told it is a single piece of hardware that only needs to be turned on. This system provides all the features that AMB sold us on but forgot to tell use that it would take people power to implement them. I remember being told that I would be getting all of my times and all of my competitors time for each session. I think to date that has only happened a few times. I card dose it for you and just think you guys in the tower never even have to see us pesky drivers... Of coarse you are always welcome to come by and drink my beer if you can stand the company! I used my Icard at the runoffs and loved it. This is something we NEED to do now. Let me know how I can help please...

[This message has been edited by eprodrx7 (edited October 21, 2003).]

lateapex911
10-21-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by eprodrx7:
Dick,
Further there is no new job to do to get it running. As I told it is a single piece of hardware that only needs to be turned on. This is something we NEED to do now. Let me know how I can help please...

heh-heh...THAT sounds like a guy volunteering to me! Sign him up, Dick!

So John, you'll be the iCard manager at the Nationals, now who's going to step forward (to turn it on, as John says) for Regionals??

dickita15
10-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Dick,
I talked to the guy from Icard at the runoffs and he said flat out that this would be of no cost to any region wanting to use the system.

well the icard equipment is free with the contract but the region does have to buy a seperate computer to host it and have the network software in place. as i said the cost is not a big deal but there is one.

>>Further there is no new job to do to get it running. As I told it is a single piece of hardware that only needs to be turned on.

it seems that it does need to watched and reset during the day although it does not appear to be a big deal. also those crawlers you saw on the screen at the runoffs were manually generated but we could live without those

>>This system provides all the features that AMB sold us on but forgot to tell use that it would take people power to implement them. I remember being told that I would be getting all of my times and all of my competitors time for each session. I think to date that has only happened a few times.

in NER it happened at most regionals for the first couple of years. now if you want it you have to go ask for it.

>>I card dose it for you and just think you guys in the tower never even have to see us pesky drivers...

The icard has no memory so i did not think you could look back and get all you times. what i saw was your last time and best time

Let me know how I can help please...

why is it that the number of entries are at an all time high. narrc regionals averaged over 200 per event but worker numbers have never been lower.

dick patullo

[This message has been edited by dickita15 (edited October 22, 2003).]

JLawton
10-23-2003, 06:56 AM
I know I've seen this in the past, but what is the cost to the drivers for this? Not having a crew, this would be a nice toy!!

------------------
Jeff L
#17 944

dickita15
10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
the icard reciever retails for $199 plus you need a used game boy, i am told to budjet $4o for that.
dick

RX767
10-23-2003, 11:22 AM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is Icard technology?

What are the advantages of this technology as opposed to the current transponder system?

If NE or Central regions adopt this system, will my transponder be worthless?

As a driver, will I have spend additional money on equipment to be allowed to race?

I am all for technology that helps regions better run events with less people power. I am not for constant unfunded mandates that increase the cost of racing, especially if they are overkill or frivolous.

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23

EV
10-23-2003, 11:53 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Forgive my ignorance, but what is Icard technology?</font>

Check the www.scca.org (http://www.scca.org) It transmits lap timing from t/s to handheld receivers that work with gameboys. If you want, you can buy one and get live timing information like you see on tv. If you choose not to, there is no extra expense. From what I gather it works with the existing T&S systems, so it shouldn't add to your costs.

[This message has been edited by EV (edited October 23, 2003). fixed URL]

[This message has been edited by EV (edited October 23, 2003).]

RSTPerformance
10-23-2003, 04:34 PM
that web page doesn't seem to be working...

Raymond

eprodrx7
10-23-2003, 07:15 PM
Here is a link to the ICard web page http://www.icardus.com/ The way that it works is that is intercepts a broadcast data stream from the existing AMB timing system and uses a Nintendo GaneBoy as a display. You can also buy an adapter to plug the card into a X-Box and then display the info on a regular TV. In qual it lists the drivers best to worst and in the race gives lap #, first to last and intervals. At this point I don;t think this is something you would want in the car. The display is small and the text is tiny. It is great though to have your crew feeding you thye info via a radio or to get out of the car after asession and see you official times and position right away.
I bought my game boy used for $20
Dick, I will donate, dependant on requirements, a pc to get this running, but I was under the impression that it was just an add on to the PC being used with the AMB s/w?

Diane
10-23-2003, 10:39 PM
I thought there was one that worked on Palm technology as well? Is this one better or equal or ?????

Diane

dickita15
10-24-2003, 06:57 AM
You can also buy an adapter to plug the card into a X-Box and then display the info on a regular TV.

I bought my game boy used for $20
Dick, I will donate, dependant on requirements, a pc to get this running, but I was under the impression that it was just an add on to the PC being used with the AMB s/w?[/B]

john who make the x box adapter. i have not heard of that. sounds cool.

john very generous thank you. but as i said in my first post the minor cost to the region is not an issue. the issue I (we) need to resolve is the extra work load (real or percieved) on a small overworked group of ladies that we need to sign on to this if it is going to work.
dick

[This message has been edited by dickita15 (edited October 24, 2003).]

dickita15
10-24-2003, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Diane:
I thought there was one that worked on Palm technology as well? Is this one better or equal or ?????

Diane

according to iCard the palm interface will be out next year. according to amb thier's will be ready in the second half of 2003.

i take both of those claims with a grain of salt

the huge advantage of the palm or pc setup is it has memory that would greatly enhance the product.

dick

SCCAThumper
10-24-2003, 01:56 PM
Well from sitting on the hill, I am looking forward to an iCard-esque system so I can figure out the #1 car for after R/C OK to dispatch, and see a large enough gap to hop out on.
blaiz is just sitting with a curious face when Denise says go she will be ready...

------------------
Bambi's Friend and friend to all...
Runner of lights and sirens, if they be flashin git outta my way! Cause I got no brakes like a F VEE

Greg Amy
10-24-2003, 02:26 PM
All your base are belong to us...