PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah circuit at Summit Point

evanwebb
10-17-2003, 12:03 PM
Hey, does anyone know when this circuit is supposed to be ready? I took a look at it last weekend and it is all rough graded, but they are nowhere near ready to put down any asphalt. And is the entire 2.5 mile track going to be completed at first or are they going sopme crappy little 1.5 mile thing like Beaverrun? Thanks!

10-17-2003, 03:48 PM
It was supposed to have it's first race back in August, but thanks to all the wet weather this summer, they are way behind schedule.
I tried to get an update during the last Marrs race, but no one knows for sure it seems.Of course, the weather is also going to play a big factor in how fast it gets done.
As far as I know, it will be the full course when it opens.
Let's keep our fingers crossed for a mild winter and maybe it can open with the opening of next years racing season. I've heard that Bill Scott is out riding around on the track almost every day checking on the progress.

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited October 17, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited October 17, 2003).]

EV
10-17-2003, 03:59 PM
Since there will be only 1.6 of the 2.1 miles that can be used for racing, I hope he does that first. They have laid the concrete for the carousel turn, looks pretty neat.

------------------
Enjoy,
Bill

mlytle
10-17-2003, 04:23 PM
bsr claimed to be laying some asphalt this month.

yes, unfortunately the race course part of the circuit will only be 1.7 miles.

word i got last night is that there will be no scca marrs races on the new course in 2004.

marshall

erlrich
10-18-2003, 03:31 PM
Can someone expand on why only the shorter circuit will be used for road racing? I read something about a limitation on competition surface expansion, but that didn't help much.

Thanks

------------------
Earl
ITA 240SX in process

Terry Hanushek
10-20-2003, 10:33 AM
Earl

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Can someone expand on why only the shorter circuit will be used for road racing? I read something about a limitation on competition surface expansion, but that didn't help much.</font>

As I understand, the track length limitation was part of the land use agreement for the new track. There has been a lot of conflict with the neighbors over the Shenandoah Circuit. This apparently was part of a compromise.

Terry

evanwebb
10-20-2003, 03:15 PM
I have the map of the Shenandoah track, what part of it will be used for racing? And can someone explain what the point is of building the rest of the track when you can't race on it? You can do driver training or something like that but you can't race on it? Seems confusing to me...

dave parker
10-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Hey group
To answer all the questions,
when next year,best estimate from the track office. depends on rain, and weather this winter.
The shenandoah will be a total of 2.1 miles.
For wheel to wheel racing it will be 1.685 miles. The shortened length for racing is due to zoning regulations in Jefferson county WV. I'm sure that anyone who lives in the real world can understand what dealing with government is all about.
The part that will be "taken out" will be up to the particular sanctioning body that runs the event.
If you look at a map of the Shenandoah circuit with the "karussell" in the one o'clock position you will notice that each loop has an "access" back to the main part of the track. Each of the loops will have moveable barriers so that the sanctioning body can block off the loop it choses not to include.
As far as to why Mr Scott is doing it this way, it is his playground and he makes the rules.
Hope that helps.
Dave Parker
wdcr itb#97