PDA

View Full Version : South Chicane: Love it or Hate it?

Steve Ostrovitz
09-11-2003, 10:21 AM
OK folks, it's been a few days since a lot of us had our first taste of the south chicane. Whether you'd run it before, or never seen it before Sunday, what did people think?

Steve

------------------
Steve Ostrovitz
07 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region
www.flatout-motorsports.com

RSTPerformance
09-11-2003, 10:48 AM
I liked the fact that it added another passing zone... I really like the enterance to the chicane, however the rest of the chicane I did not find impressive...

I think running the chicane is fine for 1 or maybe 2 races a year at NHIS (double weekends) however it does add to the not so impressive tight, twistiy, non rythmatic track already in existance at NHIS. I would be surprised if their are any tracks SCCA runs that are tighter than NHIS withiout the chicane, nevermind with it.

Some people said that it took away the hold onto your guts feeling that you get with Nascar turn 1 & 2. I don't feel that way as I think if you really go into the first turn correctly you can still get that feeling http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Final Opinion: 1 thumb up and 1 thumb down

Raymond Blethen

ITSRX7
09-11-2003, 11:48 AM
General thoughts:

- It makes an already technical track more technical
- It makes for a lot more contact as there is so little room throughout the whole area
- The cars work harder and run hotter without that time and speed up on the oval

Overall, I like it once a year.

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

ulfelder
09-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Hate it.

Steve U
05 ITS
FlatOut Motorsports

Super7
09-11-2003, 05:09 PM
One observer (who runs time trials and other events up there a lot) stated that you guys hadn't figured out the fast line into the south chicane yet.

ITSRX7
09-11-2003, 07:09 PM
When you say 'you guys', whom are you refering to?

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
06 ITS RX-7
FlatOut Motorsports
New England Region

16v
09-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Thru the viewfinder the chicane rocked!

Just wish I got down there earlier to catch more IT action

------------------
Doug :)
the16v.com (http://the16v.com)
briansgarage.com (http://www.briansgarage.com)

Tkczecheredflag
09-11-2003, 08:37 PM
I'm not sure I have the chicane down just yet. I will say that it was a nice change of pace for a "double" weekend. I thought it added a degree of technical difficulty on a track I'm still not completely comfortable with. On the same note I didn't find myself putting my balls in my mouth at the 200 foot marker on the main straight. Change is good for a double, I go with thumbs up.
Tim Klvana
ITC #11

moto62
09-12-2003, 12:03 AM
The following was copied and pasted from the other thread:

There really wasn't any difficulty to the chicane. The problem was, I had never seen the thing in my life and never even knew where it was, but thanks to Dan-o for leading me around for a few laps so that I could get a clue as to how the configuration was. Lap times were within a few tenths of the top real 'A' cars so I did get better as the day went on. The chicane is really boring and it takes away the only hair raising part of the track. All it did was use up the car. Sorta like the Boot at the glen. Two thumbs down.
Once or twice a year is doable. Chicane or no chicane, I'll still show up to race.

Ray

R RACER
09-12-2003, 06:47 AM
Thumbs up feels like a real road course,lets try running it clockwise next year, that will get Ray in a real tizzy, watching people bottom out at three clockwise would be intersting.

------------------
Anthony Serra ITA 99

7racing
09-12-2003, 10:35 AM
While driving around during qualifying, I was thinking of this question. Yeah, I had some extra time, the Miata takes a while to gain speed.

It does add a new passing zone, and I think driving the chicane is kind of fun. Racing on it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be.

It also adds another portion to what I hate about NHIS. NHIS is a bunch of stop and go drag races. This adds another stop and go. Although, not as much of a stop as Turn 3, but the same point. That track just doesn't flow together very well.

I didn't like it anymore than I dislike it. I guess it doesn't matter. I would rather do the oval, but the chicane is a nice change 1 to 2 times a year (no more than that, though).

Jeremy

SCCAThumper
09-12-2003, 11:28 AM
Well, from a corner worker/Fire Rescue point of view. It makes for a more interesting race. As long as the FV's keep their wheels to themselves.
My question is, are the flag stations #1 (at the end of pit wall) and #2 (end of the south chicane, inside of NASCAR 2) more or less visible to the driver at race speed? Either configuration, as that both with and without south chicane.

------------------
Bambi's Friend and friend to all...
Runner of lights and sirens, if they be flashin git outta my way! Cause I got no brakes like a F VEE

RSTPerformance
09-12-2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by SCCAThumper:
Well, from a corner worker/Fire Rescue point of view. It makes for a more interesting race. As long as the FV's keep their wheels to themselves.
My question is, are the flag stations #1 (at the end of pit wall) and #2 (end of the south chicane, inside of NASCAR 2) more or less visible to the driver at race speed? Either configuration, as that both with and without south chicane.

I'll be honest here. Turn one is easy to see from the begining of the straight. I haven't seen many yellows here but I wouldn't see a problem with either configuration. Turn 2 I saw during my race with no problems using the chicane. When we don't use the chicane it is almost useless because it is way out of our "Line of site". I have missed flags in that station in the past. Luckely you have good visibility ahead while using the oval. I think that flag station 1 is very important becasue the chicane is somewhat blind going into the braking zone then becomes visible after you have entered your braking, so if you had a casution it was nice to be informed and start your braking a bit earlier. come back onto the oval it is very blind becasue of the tunnel and all the fencing so this sation is a definate keeper when using the chicane!

Overall I really like the chicane. I would disagree with all the solo guys on the fast line into turn 1 Being down by the wall I don't think it is any faster. Instead brake up high then accelerate into the right hand turn driving over the grass on your left, brake hard again, then accelerate all the way out to the oval. the one thing I did do wrong which I think most were doing wrong was the exit onto the oval. After going up to the stands in Turn 1 you can see how everyone held the cars down on the exit. next time I will definetly try turning in earlier and using that extra track. I found it tough to turn in on the tunnel turn so next time I will try to use the oval and the banking more to my advantage and take a straighter, later, faster turn in.

Stephen

Diane
09-12-2003, 08:16 PM
Did it my first time at the track, test & tune days. Loved it. Tim and I had completely different entrances. Would have to try it at an event to give a true opinion though, hope I can next year! http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

Diane

16v
09-12-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by 7racing:

It also adds another portion to what I hate about NHIS. NHIS is a bunch of stop and go drag races. This adds another stop and go. Although, not as much of a stop as Turn 3, but the same point. That track just doesn't flow together very well.

I didn't like it anymore than I dislike it. I guess it doesn't matter. I would rather do the oval, but the chicane is a nice change 1 to 2 times a year (no more than that, though).

Jeremy

welcome to Monaco J

------------------
Doug :)
the16v.com (http://the16v.com)
briansgarage.com (http://www.briansgarage.com)

lateapex911
09-13-2003, 12:23 AM
Funny, but when I head down the road to gas up, and the chain smokin' 60% tatoo coveraged sales person says, "That all?", Monaco similarities are far from my mind!

(Although we did have an honored guest sorta royalty presidential candidate at the RAL event!)

------------------
Jake Gulick
CarriageHouse Motorsports
ITA 57 RX-7
New England Region
[email protected]

Phil Gott
09-28-2003, 08:52 PM
I liked the chicane. The oval is a hallmark of the NHIS track and a real test of courage, but I thnk the Chicane makes NHIS more of a road track. Jeremy's view that the track doesn't flow is in line with my thinking, but the chicane does add a bit more skill-challenge and road-course nature to the event, making it just a bit less a drag race 'round a corner. I like it and I think I would prefer it.

Phil

------------------
Phil Gott