PDA

View Full Version : Questions about contingency programs

RSTPerformance
09-09-2003, 02:14 AM
I was talking to someone about the racing we as amatuer racers do with SCCA. they where shocked that we do this for fun with no monetary rewards to speak of. They brought up several suggestions of things that I may be able to do for my region to increase numbers and get more people involved. They suggested talking to local hotels/resturants/ ect that would be willing to give rooms/ meal passes good for the next race weekend that we hold. I thaught that this was a great idea especially for NHIS where car counts are down. He proposed all sorts of types of restrictions to keep it somewhat profitable for the companies (So they stay interested and at the same time good for us) An example would be 1st place gets $150.00 towards there next hotel bill good only during the next race weekend held by NER. Then $100.00 then $50.00 this would obviosly be benificial for the hotel since most would stay more than 1 night and it is a bunch of free advertising in things like Pit talk and flyers we can hand out about the program at registration. I'm sure it would build a reputation with many drivers short and long term. It would also be benificial for NER as this would encourage drivers to go to the next event.

Is this something that ametuer racing can handle?
Is this something we are allowed to do under SCCA rules/ bylaws?
Is this anything that the members would be interested in?
Is it unfair if we only do certain classes and segregate other classes? maybe have it depend on avg. Participation rates?

Obviosly if everyone here thinks it is a poor idea I will not pursue it any further but if you any of you are positive about it I would certainly do the legwork. I'm from town and have some networking around town. I just don't know any of the bylaws we are governed by and I'm not sure if people would really want to be racing for monetary prizes.

I'm sure Kirk would no some legistics since he has set this up for the ARRC along with dick, the Mush and others you can give me some feedback. Again this would be something above and beyond to try and bring some more people from other regions up to NH.

Hey don't beat me up to bad it was jsut a thought that someone came up with that I thought might benifit our region http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Stephen

[This message has been edited by RSTPerformance (edited September 09, 2003).]

Super7
09-09-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
He proposed all sorts of types of restrictions to keep it somewhat profitable for the companies (So they stay interested and at the same time good for us) An example would be 1st place gets $150.00 towards there next hotel bill good only during the next race weekend held by NER.

Might be do-able, but the local (e.g. the Red Roof) sells out on just about all the race weekends, so they don't have much incentive. I know we talked to them about this type of thing last year and they were not really interested.

We tried to book a room for Cheap Date back in March to find out that they were already full.

What about what we did last year, with the free entries? Sponsorship for that program would work for just about any business, not just the hotels and resturants.

philstireservice
09-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Stephen, for an example of contigency sponsoring go to hondachallenge.com, I have been racing with them a lot this year and they have a pretty good contingency program for their racers, and its only going to get better next year...check it out. Most of the contingency sponsoring is done by racers who race in the series....i.e. me

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST1
www.philstireservice.com (http://www.philstireservice.com)
www.imprintedorginals (http://www.imprintedorginals).
distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
Hoosier Tire Dealer

[This message has been edited by philstireservice (edited September 09, 2003).]

RSTPerformance
09-09-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by philstireservice:

Stephen, for an example of contigency sponsoring go to hondachallenge.com, I have been racing with them a lot this year and they have a pretty good contingency program for their racers, and its only going to get better next year...check it out. Most of the contingency sponsoring is done by racers who race in the series....i.e. me

hey thanks phil. My big question is if people would want this in amature club racing. It may be something that people would rather not be racing for. I am trying to get a feel for what people think before I do anything.

stephen

Greg Amy
09-10-2003, 08:24 AM
<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...My big question is if people would want this in amature club racing....</font>

Of course, it's common practice in National racing. Hell, for two of the four years I raced Showroom Stock I actually showed a PROFIT just from contingency money and products.

Greg

TimM ITB
09-10-2003, 11:43 AM
Stephen;

I think that it makes a lot of sense to look for sponsors! You could look at it from several viewpoints:
- sponsors for a "series", such as NERRC or NARRC
- sponsors for a track
- sponsors for a group, such as IT, SS, Production, etc
- sponsors for NER as an entire organization, including rally, autocross, etc

I doubt sponsorship money will make a huge difference in anyone's racing budget, but it sure can't hurt. Plus, it adds another element to the fun of the sport.

I think that it would be great if you can come up with some ideas and we can "kick them around" - I'll see you at LRP for the Runoffs??

BTW, I went to the hondachallenge.com site, and they do have several sponsors - not huge money - but, again, it all helps.
later,

Tim M

philstireservice
09-11-2003, 09:18 AM
I am a contingency sponsor for the Honda Challenge. They have a race on sat. and a race on sun. at every event. The sat. race is the contingency race, with points and trophies added. Sunday is just points. What I do for the racers is a $75.00 gift certificate for the winners of each class on sat., towards Amsoil products. The stipulation is that they have to run a Phil's Tire Service and Amsoil decal. In most cases they choose a case of Amsoil in whatever weight oil they run....sometimes it comes out to 13qts depending on the viscosity they choose. At they end of the year I will sweeten the pot for any one racer, per class, that wins his or her class championship and is running my decals. Basically every little bit helps, like Tim said. We all use oil, and most use synthetic nowadays, so it helps with the cost for the respective racer. It also makes me feel good to help and give back a little. Of course it helps my business, but it also spreads that goodwill that we all, as racers, thrive on.

------------------
Phil Phillips
94 Acura Integra GSR #4
ITS/H3/ST1
www.philstireservice.com
www.imprintedorginals.
distributor for FireCharger AFFF fire systems
Hoosier Tire Dealer