PDA

View Full Version : Watkins Glen Group 8

Weaver7
07-28-2003, 08:27 AM
Was anybody a little confused at the start??
When I came across the line the flagger was waving the yellow. It was until lap 3 the I saw the green. Were we under green for the first 2 laps?? Not that it would have made a difference I was virtually blind at the start from the downpour and the windshield fogging over.

robits325is
07-28-2003, 09:18 AM
I don't even remember seeing the flag station forget about the flag - I only remember corvettes doing syncronized spins in front of the entire field. That start was crazy.

Tryleracing
07-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Not that it would have changed the results, but I to was confused when I saw the green and yellow at the starter stand. Turn 1 was also yellow. It wasn't till the boot that I realized we were racing. That was alot of water! I guess that because we were near the back at the start we weren't able to see the incident at the front. I did see a piece of pipe on the track at 2 so something happened there.
Brad
ITA 5

jws325
07-28-2003, 11:33 AM
There were flags?? Between the downpour, the spray from butt-end of the Vettes, and my completely fogged windshield, I wasn't sure what was happening, but I did see a green flag at the start. Thanks to all who avoided me in the red #1 325is after my own pirouette in the bottom of the esses - couldn't see the river running across it....but in my own opinion, I think they might have thought about waving off teh start - that was the most rain I have ever seen -

Weaver7
07-28-2003, 11:47 AM
I started in the back of the pack. Both Corvettes spun?? Did they even finish the race??

Bill Weaver
ITA #63

robits325is
07-28-2003, 01:19 PM
Yes, both corvettes spun at nearly the same time - one of the corvettes was able to recover from the first spin only to spin again and get hit by Henderson. That start should have been waved off.

Rob "three wheels" Driscoll

joeg
07-28-2003, 02:00 PM
I thought the lightening streak was the "go" signal!

jcmotorsports
07-28-2003, 03:34 PM
i could only see my completely fogged windshield for the first 3 laps.
john costello
#81 its

theracinglawyer
07-28-2003, 10:26 PM
We watched you guys from the bus stop. You put on a great show.The water was deep there, don't know how you kept it on track for the first 3or 4 laps. Heck, each of you were great, especially in avoiding each other.To bad we didn't have a camera, especially for the guys who ran over the grass time after time and for the ones who missed the bus stop altogether.

Love "the commander' Mike Cefalo

dominojd
07-29-2003, 05:18 AM
Wish I could have been there. Rain adds 50 horsepower to my car. http://Forums.ImprovedTouring.com/it/smile.gif

------------------
Crazy Joe
#7 ITS pilot

JackH55
07-29-2003, 02:40 PM
I was watching from the Pits.

The race started with a Green.
2 of the corvettes near the front started to fishtail down the straight. I do not know where they ended up- they were not in sight from the pits. Start displayed a yellow along with the Green after that
I am sure the back part of the Grid must have seen that.

The leaders would have had a green for the first lap and those at the back would have seen the Yellow at Start and 2.

Great Race if you had FWD and Dirt Stockers.
TJ got up to 3rd overall in the ITA car. He was being held up by the purple corvette but he eventually got by him.
It started to dry up the last 2 laps.

1 ITS 1 Mike Sabetello BMW
2 ITS 2 John Stewart BMW
3 ITS 3 Brian Fitzgerald Acura
4 ITS 4 Barnard Randall BMW
5 ITA 1 TJ Hanifan VW GTi
6 ITE 1 Easton Fegley Corvette
7 ITS 5 Brian Jules Mazda
8 ITA 2 Brad Barnhoulse Honda
9 ITA 3 George Morris VW
10 ITS 6 Dave Ciufo Datsun
11 ITS 7 Edwin Robinson Dodge
12 ITS 8 Ed Karabec BMW
13 ITA 4 Richard Smith HONDA
14 ITS 9 Nancy Thomas Alfa
15 ITS 10 Brian Blizzard Corrado
16 ITS 11 Walter Mann Neon
17 ITA 5 John Morris VW GTi
18 ITA 6 Bill Weaver BMW
All the above did 12 laps
19 ITS 12 Rob Driscoll BMW
20 ITA 7 Gene Litz Mazda
21 ITS 13 John Costello Mazda
22 ITE 2 Vic Franzese Firebird
23 ITE 3 Don Jaffe BMW
all the above did 11 laps

DNF Windell Holmes ITA Honda 3 laps
DNF Vincent Leio ITS BMW 1 lap
DNF Jeff Henderson ITS BMW 1 lap
DNf John Wilbourne ITS RX7 1 lap
DNF Gary Nickerson - Corvette 1 lap

Jack

rkracing
08-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Bill,

I was just 2 cars ahead of you and also thought the called the start by just showing the yellow. After the race a fellow racer said the if the start is called off, the starter usually is waving his/her head back and forth to indicate another warm up lap.

It was fun to RACE at WGI again!!

Rich Smith
ITA CRX #95