PDA

View Full Version : Celica

java
01-30-2005, 10:28 PM
Saw in the paper today 91 Celica for sale $500, good body, needs engine rebuild. In research I see it's ITS classed. Do Celica's make good ITS cars? I noticed their rear drum brakes.

------------------
Kevin

'?? ? SCCA IT? #??
'00 F350 - Got the tow vehicle covered

ITANorm
01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
No way to get enough power out of a 5SGE to be competitive. In IT trim, they'd produce maybe 150HP. And you're right, rear drums, at least on the ST models.

JeffYoung
02-03-2005, 03:27 AM
Talk about a clear candidate to get moved to ITA.....hell, a Neon STOCK has 150 hp.

java
02-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Agree, I'd might build one if moved. Always have like yota's. Anyone good at writing letters?

zooracer
02-03-2005, 07:50 PM
I think this is covered in the rules and regs section where they are talking about classifying newer cars competitively (like NASA does...)
90's models are easier, and cheaper to find then 80's models, and they need to be classed appropriately to their power and weight and such.
This car should be in ITA, regardless of it's rear drum brakes, just look at it's power to weight ratio. Not as good as some ITA cars
matt

Spinnetti
03-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by JeffYoung:
Talk about a clear candidate to get moved to ITA.....hell, a Neon STOCK has 150 hp.

Yuck... Would get tromped in ITA too.
(BTW, to an earlier post, its the 3sge not 5)...

Why is it that Toyotas routinely get over classed anyway? its not like the MR2 and corolla have any chance in ITA anymore, and they are about the best classed of any of the Toyotas...

racerb
09-09-2005, 12:25 PM

Yuck... Would get tromped in ITA too.
(BTW, to an earlier post, its the 3sge not 5)...

Why is it that Toyotas routinely get over classed anyway? its not like the MR2 and corolla have any chance in ITA anymore, and they are about the best classed of any of the Toyotas...

Hey this is why I'm building a 86-89 model Celica GTS, it has the better 3SGE engine and four wheel disc brakes. If all goes well car could make it's debut early next year. Oh and by the way, the '91s got a 5SFE engine, same as 2nd gen MR-2.

racerb :023:

ITANorm
09-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Heh - just stuff in a 3SGTE out of an AllTrac or a MR2-T. Nobody would notice. ;)

Ehh - what's that whistle?? Must be a vacuum leak.

racerb
09-09-2005, 09:21 PM
Hey the 3SGTE would be great fun, but I beleive the NA engine can be made to work with this chassis. It has a lot going for it in that you've got 2 liter engine with twincam, fourwheel indipendent suspension and fourwheel discbrakes, plus being able to run 15x7 wheels means alot more rubber to handle the weight. I like it's chances, and intend on making it work, with alittle help from a great engine builder.

racerb
09-26-2005, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by racerb@Sep 10 2005, 01:21 AM
Hey the 3SGTE would be great fun, but I beleive the NA engine can be made to work with this chassis. It has a lot going for it in that you've got 2 liter engine with twincam, fourwheel indipendent suspension and fourwheel discbrakes, plus being able to run 15x7 wheels means alot more rubber to handle the weight. I like it's chances, and intend on making it work, with alittle help from a great engine builder.

Hey guys I've started making alittle progress on my IT Celica, the cage is going in and I'm repacking wheel bearings and installing longer wheel studs. I've got a decision to make on engines though, as I've got two good engines, one with low miles. It's just I hate to give up the low mileage engine to the racecar, when it could go in my dailly driver/auto-x car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

racerb :unsure:

racerb
09-28-2005, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by racerb@Sep 27 2005, 02:02 AM
Hey guys I've started making alittle progress on my IT Celica, the cage is going in and I'm repacking wheel bearings and installing longer wheel studs. I've got a decision to make on engines though, as I've got two good engines, one with low miles. It's just I hate to give up the low mileage engine to the racecar, when it could go in my dailly driver/auto-x car. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

racerb :unsure:

Just another update, began building my coil-over shocks tonight. Started by disassembling the Koni struts which came with my donor car, so I can cut of the spring purches. Then depending on which camber plates I decide to run (Ground-Control/Cusco), I start the reassembly with Ground-Control coil-overs and newly repacked hubs. I took delivery of several boxes of spare parts from another Celica owner and have more on the way from yet another, it's kinda like Christmas round here. Much more to come, so stay tuned.

racerb :D

junkman356
10-02-2005, 09:50 PM
My wife has been racing an ex-Celebrity Grand Prix '91 Celica GT-S in ITS the past two years. It is totally dependable and a great first race car but definitely underpowered for its classification. She's ready to be competitive, so it's going up for sale....