PDA

View Full Version : Porsche 944 - 87? Anyone racing one?

Ron Earp
02-16-2005, 04:17 PM
I've a friend I'm trying to get introduced to IT racing and he is a long time Porsche nut.

Anyone have a late 944, the 87-88 model with the 4V heads that they are actively racing? It seems like the car would be a good ITS contender, better than the previous interations, and could hold its own. I *think* this car was just recently classed maybe, so it could be I'm asking a question that nobody knows the answer to.

Any info would be appreciated, might help get another SE ITS member in the fold.

Ron

------------------
Ron Earp
NC Region
Ford Lightning Tow Beast
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey ITS
My electrons don't care if they flow through OEM wires, do yours?

Andy Bettencourt
02-16-2005, 04:28 PM
If you are talking about the 944S, then it should make a GREAT ITS car.

AB

------------------
Andy Bettencourt
New England Region, R188967
www.flatout-motorsports.com (http://www.flatout-motorsports.com)

JeffYoung
02-16-2005, 04:35 PM
Mark Nasarallah in the SE.

Ron Earp
02-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Is it S4?

The four valve head one, 2 years only. Sort of rare cars, but 188hp stock and 28ish on the weight. Hard to get a lot more power from it but I'd imagine some creative timing/fuel plus a mighty short exhaust would put it around 200hp at the flywheel with a fantastic chassis to boot. Should run well.

Ron

Team SSR
02-17-2005, 11:48 AM
I've got one ('87 944S) as a daily driver, but building an 8v to race. I've been told by several Porsche racers that I should race the S as it is more competitive in ITS. I do know this - the 16v requires more maintenance $.

timo944
02-22-2005, 03:40 AM
I've been racing a 1988 944 for a few years. The S has more hp and torque but is heavier. It's hard to be competitive in ITS with either car, but my opinion is that either one makes a good reliable race car and a great ITS endurance car. They are easy to drive, very forgiving. I raced with Mark in B'ham and we had a ball. We raced for 1.5 hrs and finished a second apart. And, Mark is a great driver. So the S and the regular 944 can be pretty similar by the time the weight compemsates out.

I say go for it - we need more P cars out there!

timo

wpspeedracer
02-23-2005, 06:41 AM
Hey Timo
That was a good race.
Are you going to Road Atlanta - PCA in april? I'll be there.
and the 944S is a great car for PCA Club racing...keep it in stock class 'H' and you will be racing against prepared 944's and pesky 70's - 911's.....I did really well in PCA - 48 Hours at Sebring last month in the sprint race and was in contention for the enduro when the tranny finally gave out after 7 years.
As far as ITS goes...we are competitive on short tracks ( Roebling, Moroso, Carolina Motorsprots, etc. ) It's the long straights that we get killed by the bimmers and RX-7's
Good Luck
mark #54 ITS

timo944
02-24-2005, 04:36 AM
Hi Mark!

You bet I'll be there. Hopefully you can pull me down the straights? I have a new cage installed so that'll be exciting. I also hope I cured my oil leak issues....lost about 1/2 quart at Roebling in a sprint race!

Maybe you can paddock with us - I normally hang out with Kerry Singley's crew.

I agree with you about those pesky bimmer,s but it's in the rules - SCCA doesn't guarantee you are competitive!

timo