PDA

View Full Version : 944 limited slip

RR
12-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Im helping a friend build a 944 for racing. We need a limited slip diff, Quiafe (hope I spelled that right) are very expensive. Is there another supplier or better yet can we remove the open diff and send it to someone for conversion? Thanks for any help.

Geo
12-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Adam Richman knows of someone producing a limited slip for the 944 for less. The other alternatives are the factory LSD and Guard Transmission (GT). Guard produces an ATB (Quaife/Torsen style), a 40% lock-up, and an 80% lock-up. The Guard LSDs are generally the hot choice, but pricey (more than the Quiafe you'be been quoted).

The LSD that Adam has told me about is intriguing. Price is about half the GT LSD.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX
84 944 ITS car under construction
92 ITS Sentra SE-R occasionally borrowed
http://www.nissport.com

RR
12-09-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks George, WHo is Adam Richmond and how do I get in touch with him???

Geo
12-09-2004, 04:18 PM
I cannot remember his alias here. I'll check a few threads and see if I can come up with it.

He has one of the LSDs mentioned in his road 944S.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

timo944
12-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Keep in mind that when you install the new diff you need special tools to re-align the ring and pinion and set the pre-load on the bearings. I don't know much about it except that you must do this.

Bang for the buck, the factory LSD is pretty good. You can get used rebuilts for about $800-$1000. I'd be interested to hear about the Adam Richmond unit....

RSTPerformance
12-09-2004, 11:36 PM
If you go for a quaife I have a source for the 944 at around $1100

Raymond
RST Performance Racing
[email protected]

seckerich
12-09-2004, 11:59 PM
I built the unit in Adams car and have done quite a few with good results. If you need more info drop me your email.
Steve
Originally posted by Geo:
I cannot remember his alias here. I'll check a few threads and see if I can come up with it.

He has one of the LSDs mentioned in his road 944S.

Geo
12-10-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by seckerich:
I built the unit in Adams car and have done quite a few with good results. If you need more info drop me your email.
Steve

Steve, it would help if you leave your e-mail address. Mine is <[email protected]> I'm interested in more info. I'm getting ready to make a decisioni myself.

------------------
George Roffe
Houston, TX

RR
12-10-2004, 01:40 PM
Steve, email me with info or post your phone number and email. My email is [email protected]

gsbaker
12-10-2004, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Geo:
I cannot remember his alias here....

"Phats", or some version thereof.

G

924Guy
12-10-2004, 03:12 PM
I'd also like to hear more about that other diff option; I'm running a 951 LSD in my 924 ITB car, but I'm getting the ball rolling on a 931 racer, and will need a diff even more for that.

As for installation procedure - major PITA. I had another PCA gearhead who's VERY familiar with P-car trannies set mine up, as he had the necessary bits. He deals more with 901 and 915, G50, etc. trannies, and says they're much easier. As I recall, he pretty much had to assemble the whole setup about 3 times to take the necessary measurements and install the bits. Very silly, but a relic of the Audi design. Definitely worth doing only once!

As I said, I'm running the stock 951 LSD unit, which swaps directly in to the 924 5-speed, and so it would seem logical that we have full interchangeability of all 944-style limited slips from the 81 924 through the later 951's, presumably both factory and aftermarket.

------------------
Vaughan Scott
Detroit Region #280052
'79 924 #77 ITA/GTS1
www.vaughanscott.com

Phat-S
12-10-2004, 04:20 PM

Steve

Man, this thing is great! FWIW, Steve and I began this discussion about doing this for my 944S back in like 2002 (think it was around the time they made the 944S legal for ITS) at an awards dinner cause I was THAT impressed by the diff he builds for my ITA car. I have loved it so far and think I'm around 2500 miles so far. I asked the guys at the P-car shop that rebuilt my motor to take it out and flog it per impressions and they all seemed to like it as well.

And if you buy one, Steve will lose to you in your next rain race, he promises http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Vaughan, this should not require the measuring and lash and all that on your end I don't think as it uses your ring and pinion - Steve can assuredly better explain than me though.

------------------
Adam in Charlotte
#42 ITA CRX Si (http://www.ipsolve.com/RaceStuff)

[This message has been edited by Phat-S (edited December 10, 2004).]

wpspeedracer
12-10-2004, 05:22 PM
You can also use the limited slip out of a 924 S ..... option code 220. Look around junk & salvage yards...it will install right into your stock transaxel

mark
944 S

Hracer
12-10-2004, 08:06 PM
They are good LSDs to be sure. We've ran them on a CRX and on our Integra. Actually we're getting another one done for the ITA Integra at the moment!

------------------
Alex
#90 ITA

seckerich
12-11-2004, 12:15 AM
I sure learned to not go out in the rain on dry tires against a honda on wets!!! Future units don't come with the "free win option" Glad the difs are working good for you Adam. My email is [email protected]

Originally posted by Phat-S:
Man, this thing is great! FWIW, Steve and I began this discussion about doing this for my 944S back in like 2002 (think it was around the time they made the 944S legal for ITS) at an awards dinner cause I was THAT impressed by the diff he builds for my ITA car. I have loved it so far and think I'm around 2500 miles so far. I asked the guys at the P-car shop that rebuilt my motor to take it out and flog it per impressions and they all seemed to like it as well.

And if you buy one, Steve will lose to you in your next rain race, he promises http://Forum.ImprovedTouring.com/it/wink.gif

Vaughan, this should not require the measuring and lash and all that on your end I don't think as it uses your ring and pinion - Steve can assuredly better explain than me though.

Ron Earp
12-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by RR:
Im helping a friend build a 944 for racing. We need a limited slip diff, Quiafe (hope I spelled that right) are very expensive. Is there another supplier or better yet can we remove the open diff and send it to someone for conversion? Thanks for any help.

What about just welding it up? That'd cost you about $25 if you took it somewhere and had them weld it for you, probably nothing if you weld.

I think these transmissions are the 016 units that some of us use in our GT40s, except for you use a torque tube. I know of a couple of people who have used the Phantom Grip in them with decent results, very cheap and might be worth a try too.

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
Ford Lightning
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey: IT prep progressing!

[This message has been edited by rlearp (edited December 13, 2004).]