PDA

View Full Version : '93 Olda Achieva SCX

944racer
08-10-2004, 08:05 AM
I'm going to try and be competitive with this car in the Southeast. It is an ex-Hacker car. The motor I believe has spun a bearing and needs to be replaced. I have seen guys that are very knowledgable about these cars (like John Hermann). I need some advice, I'm only familiar with Porsche's. The car has the best hp/weight ratio of all the ITS cars in stock configuration. Do I even have a chance?
Andy Fox

Ron Earp
08-10-2004, 09:57 AM
I don't know a lot about the car, but I did help do an engine swap with a Quad 4 into a Fiero in the late 80s and the motor is quite good. I was just grunt labor but did get to fool with the motor some. It is pretty stout and will make some good horsepower. I would suspect in the neighborhood of 200+ fairly easily. There is a fellow in Durham, Jeff Creech, that can help with chip tuning the GM computer in that car for more power.

R

------------------
Ron
http://www.gt40s.com
Lotus Turbo Esprit
BMW E36 M3
RF GT40 Replica
Jensen-Healey

Tom Donnelly
08-10-2004, 10:59 AM
Try asking Tom Fowler at OPM. He drove the green achieva with Larry Stepp. The car know as 'kermit'. Todd Buras ran one in the southeast as well. He runs a spec miata now. I've been on the track with that car and it is stinking fast but they had breakage problems. CV joints and the like. And I think it was hard on brakes and tires as well.

But it was fast.

Tom

John Herman
08-10-2004, 12:06 PM
Of course you stand a chance!

Soflow1
08-13-2004, 11:23 AM
Do it Andy! The Oldsmobiles are the best bang for the buck ITS car your going to find. Reliability is not too much of an issue if you use the proper replacement parts. I have two (Calais and Achieva) and have a blast running them both. Haven't been racing them much this year due to time and other commitments. I'm in Atlanta, so if you have questions feel free to ask!

------------------
Rod Strub
Alpharetta, GA
http://www.southernflowinc.com/rods/MR2T5-2.jpg